You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-22 20:52:10

felixculpa

[SOLVED] Simple systemd-networkd setup not working

Hi all,

I am trying to switch to a wireless configuration using IWD and systemd-networkd. However systemd-networkd won't run, and gives a "Start request repeated too quickly" message when checking the status.

Iwd shows my wlp2s0 interface is up and connected. My .network file is straight forward and is copied straight from the wiki's wireless example. I disabled a running netctl instance and dhcpcd is not running either. I didn't bother with systemd-resolved, but should I?

Journalctl says "Could not load configuration files: Permission denied" for systemd-networkd. Permissions for the . network file are rw for root:root.

I have iwd connected to a 5G rather than the 2.4G network, maybe that's the problem?

I had systemd-networkd running well once in the past, but I'm lost here.

Edit: The network file must be readable worldwide. A permission change to 0604 fixes the issue. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Last edited by felixculpa (2018-07-22 21:38:34)

#2 2018-07-22 21:16:05

progandy

Re: [SOLVED] Simple systemd-networkd setup not working

what are the permissions for your .network files? They need to be readable by anyone or at least the user "systemd-network" I think.
Edit: If you are using dhcp with systemd-networkd then you have to enable and use systemd-resolved as well I think. (only if you want to use the nameservers provided by dhcp)

Last edited by progandy (2018-07-22 21:22:08)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2018-07-22 21:32:07

felixculpa

The network file located at /etc/systemd/network/25-wireless.network file is 0600 for user and group root only. It has to be world readable?

Is dhcpcd and networkd-resolved necessary? Or does something else like iwd handle dns? (Other than the router and my IP provider?)

I noticed systemd-networkd starts before iwd does. Not sure if that matters.

#4 2018-07-22 22:24:59

progandy

It doesn't have to be world readable, setting it owned by and only readable by "systemd-network" should be enough. If the user doesn't exist (it is a systemd dynamic user by default), then create it first with useradd and shell "/usr/bin/nologin"

systemd-networkd already includes a dhcp client, so dhcpcd is not necessary. networkd-resolved is necessary if you want systemd-networkd to automatically set dns servers. If you set a static dns server in /etc/resolv.conf, then you don't need it.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer