You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-06 19:44:23

jbenge1

[SOLVED]rsync error: packet_write_wait: Connection to....

I have been trying to automate a backup script which backsup my home directory (among other things) and I have been unable to stop the error

$ rsync --quiet -e ssh /home/user/bkp/user.tar.lrz user@ipAddress:/home/user/AsusBackups
packet_write_wait: Connection to ipAddress port 22: Broken pipe
rsync: [sender] write error: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(820) [sender=3.1.3]

I have tried the following
1.) Connecting the server to the internet via an Ethernet cable (and from here on it is still connected via ethernet)
2.) Connecting the client to the internet via Ethernet cable
3.) Changing the port in which ssh is listening on, on the server
4.) Switching the client from a 5GHz WiFi channel to a 2.4GHz channel
5.) Adding the following on the clients /etc/ssh/ssh_config (starting from 120 working down to 10)

ServerAliveInterval 10
ServerAliveCountMzx 6

6.) Adding the following to the servers /etc/ssh/ssh_config

ClientAliveInterval 120

which yields a bad configuration option
7.) I have also tried rather than uploading an entire zip file issuing the following command  as it is in the wiki which yields the same issue

rsync -a --delete --quiet -e ssh /home/user user@ipAddress:/home/user/AsusBackups

I've also searched through google and really the only solution I came up with (aside from the ones I had already tried) was that maybe I have a lack of memory (though both effectively have 8G worth of memory).

Does anyone have any ideas? or possibly would be able to point me in the correct direction to solve this issue?

ps: Maybe its worth noting that the user.tar.lrz file is 29Gb in size
pss: I'm not sure if this is worth noting but the client has a stateful firewall set up but not the server (haven't gotten around to setting one up yet) though I don't imagine the client side firewall would change anything?

Edit: fixed type ClientAliverInterval ... => ClientAliveInterval

Last edited by jbenge1 (2018-08-07 17:28:55)

"Dr. Madden, why don't the natural numbers include 0?" -me
"....... Take a philosophy course" -Dr. Madden

#2 2018-08-07 17:28:36

jbenge1

Re: [SOLVED]rsync error: packet_write_wait: Connection to....

Ok so what I've decided to do, (as the server is doubling as an nfs server) is just write a script to mount the server somewhere and then copy the contents to the drive and unmount it when done. This is working so evivva big_smile I guess!

Marking as solved

"Dr. Madden, why don't the natural numbers include 0?" -me
"....... Take a philosophy course" -Dr. Madden

Board footer