You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-05 19:42:26

Beinsezii

Steam Nukes Modem

TL:DR; when downloading a game through Steam, after like two gigs it crashes our modem (or something like that) until Arch is turned off.

I've been trying to migrate as much of my stuff as possible off of my windows partition so I don't have to dual boot as often, so with the new Steam Play beta that has a souped up WINE built-in, I'm trying to move most of my games over to Arch.
However, like 2 gigs into downloading anything (Yakuza 0, NieR, etc), my actual *modem* stops functioning, and the whole house loses internet. Router's fine. Just complains that it's not plugged in.
Issue persists even when terminating steam. Have to reboot/poweroff Arch to restore connection.

Formatted my disks and re-installed everything like two weeks ago, and steam worked fine on Arch then. Not sure if the Steam Play thing is to blame. Will test if a native linux game still destroys my internet.
NieR actually downloaded without nuking everything at some point after a dozen restarts. No idea why or how.
Steam is running in default runtime mode. Steam Play doesn't seem to work with steam-native
Steam on Windows works fine.
Everything's up-to-date in pacman. Noticed no difference switching from dhcpcd to networkmanager.
Setup is a Comcast XB3 cable modem using an AC3200 router. PC with steam is ethernet'd into the router.

Bit of a weird issue, so not sure if this is the right place to put it. I searched all through the steam forums and everything and haven't heard this mentioned anywhere. Figured people at Arch forums might at least be knowledgeable enough to get the debugging started.

EDIT: OKAY so turns out it's Schrödinger's bug cause the moment I sat down painfully observing the console as it downloaded 30 gigs of stuff it worked just fine.
Only hypothesis left that doesn't leave me questioning my existence is that this time around steam was like the *only* thing on the PC using network, cause I didn't wanna touch *anything* in case it caused some chaos effect that destroyed the modem again. Normally I go on Firefox and faff around cause watching a blue bar move up slowly isn't what I consider 'fun'.

Last edited by Beinsezii (2018-09-05 20:09:43)

#2 2018-09-05 20:13:40

progandy

Re: Steam Nukes Modem

Maybe your modem doesn't work very well with ECN?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … tification

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2018-11-03 04:14:50

Beinsezii

Re: Steam Nukes Modem

Alright so problem's back and I think the ECN thing works. Comcast modems for you.
Newbie question, but how do I permanently set "sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_ecn=0"?
Fixed it. Will report back if router still dies spectacularly.

Last edited by Beinsezii (2018-11-03 04:21:29)

Board footer