You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-20 01:30:45

alexv305

Dual WAN / Load Balancing

Hello Arch Linux Forums!

I have been using Arch Linux for several years now, on my desktop, and even my home router (mini-pc with two network cards).. However a few months ago a friend turned me to pfsense.. I have two ISPs coming into my home, one was being used for server purposes only but it has been moved into the cloud. He recommended pfsense for 'gateway groups'. After setting it all up, my total bandwidth when running speed tests and other metrics reflect the aggregate of both ISPs. I understand pfsense might be doing some magic under the hood, but I was wondering if there was a way of doing this in arch? After doing some research I found several articles that recommend setting up two routing tables in /etc/iproute2/rt_tables and adding the subnet / gateway info for each table, etc.. and then doing ip route add default scope global nexthop via $ISP1_GW dev $ISP1_DEV weight 1 nexthop via $ISP2_GW dev $ISP2_DEV weight 1. I have been able to get it to work but it seems there is some kind of IP hashing going on in the background. When I run a speedtest I can only saturate one ISP and other devices that have been cached to use that link  do not load balance to the other link, but if I do some heavily threaded downloads I can saturate both ISPs. Somehow pfsense does this under the hood and I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to accomplish this on Arch.

I understand this isn't an Arch specific question, but I use Arch heavily due to the amazing and extensive support in the wiki and forums.

Sincerely,
-Alex

Board footer