You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-21 14:28:13

vollassitoni69

[Solved] Bare Metal Backup of live system - recommendations

Hello everyone,
I had a look at the backup options both on the Arch Wiki and the web but so far couldn't find anything that meets my criteria. I want to create a clone of my disk `/dev/sda` while the system is running onto another identical disk `/dev/sdb` (positioned in the ultrabay of my T430, this disc is the same model as `/dev/sda`, a Crucial MX500). With this backup I want to protect myself against the following occurrences:
1) I mess up my system accidentally (being a new Arch user, this is not too unlikely cool )
2) I accidentally delete something
3) The internal hard drive fails (not too likely with modern SSDs but not an excuse not to make a backup!)
Having a clone of my internal disk would protect me against 1) (I could either simply boot from the clone and continue working or restore those parts I messed up from the clone), 2) (simply copy deleted files over from clone), and 3) (I simply remove the old drive and insert the clone, then boot as usual). I don't simply want a backup of my `/home` directory, as I don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling Arch, all packages, , configurations made outside of `/home`, etc... I looked at `dd`, but read somewhere that it is not a good idea to use `dd` to clone live systems as this might corrupt files on the clone (since some files might be in use). Furthermore, I want to exclude dynamically created directories such as `/sys`, `/proc`,... The tools used should have a CLI so I can put them in a script (and perhaps run automatically on a periodic basis). Furthermore, the cloning process should detect change and only backup those things which changed (to save time, I don't want to copy over the entire disk every time).
Any recommendations? Thank you very much in advance!!

Last edited by vollassitoni69 (2018-10-21 21:08:37)

#2 2018-10-21 14:35:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Solved] Bare Metal Backup of live system - recommendations

rsync.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-10-21 14:40:44

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

I had a look at the backup options both on the Arch Wiki and the web but so far couldn't find anything that meets my criteria.

Really? Have you read the Full system backup portion of the rsync entry?

#4 2018-10-21 14:43:41

Lone_Wolf

Rsync comes to mind.

Check the sections titled "Full system backup"  and "File system cloning"

Edit: I need to refresh after answrering  a phone call

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2018-10-21 14:44:36)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2018-10-21 20:36:45

vollassitoni69

Thank you very much for your help! I only had a brief look at rsync since I was looking for a tool that would handle partioning, file system creation, etc. automatically (i.e. a cloning utility), but now I've opted to do that manually instead, and luckily it only has to be done only once. So rsync it is.

#6 2018-10-21 21:48:20

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

rsync will be fine, just don't forget to clone your MBR in your manual set up of the second drive.

Board footer