You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-25 02:26:51

w201

Looking For Some Advice on VPNs...

Hey All,

I'm considering setting up an OpenVPN client in a Linux container on my machine, see this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Op … Containers

I have to read up on Linux containers and I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble, or is it more customary to go with third party provider? First time dabbling in VPN so any pointers would help.

Thanks!

#2 2018-10-25 07:50:19

/dev/zero

Re: Looking For Some Advice on VPNs...

Haven't tried the container route, so sorry I can't help with that directly.

When it comes to VPNs I have been liking ExpressVPN: https://www.expressvpn.com/

They have good Linux support and they don't keep logs.

Conversely, avoid VyperVPN. They are the opposite of that.

#3 2018-10-25 14:12:47

Slithery
Administrator

Client installation is only half the picture.

A VPN is an encrypted connection between two machines, a server and a client.  No matter which way you set up your client (either via the container method or a standard installation) you still need a VPN server to connect to. This can either be a free or paid 3rd party or another machine you have control of.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2018-10-26 00:17:28

w201

Slithery wrote:

Client installation is only half the picture.

A VPN is an encrypted connection between two machines, a server and a client.  No matter which way you set up your client (either via the container method or a standard installation) you still need a VPN server to connect to. This can either be a free or paid 3rd party or another machine you have control of.

Okay, makes perfect sense. I don't think I want to go the route of an additional physical machine as a dedicated VPN server, but how about setting up a VPN server on a virtual machine, is that even feasible? I guess what I'm asking is will setting up a VPN server on a virtual machine while running the client on my physical machine give me an encrypted connection.

And thanks for the suggestion /dev/zero, I will look into that if I go that route.

Last edited by w201 (2018-10-26 02:14:38)

#5 2018-10-26 07:40:57

Slithery
Administrator

w201 wrote:

but how about setting up a VPN server on a virtual machine, is that even feasible? I guess what I'm asking is will setting up a VPN server on a virtual machine while running the client on my physical machine give me an encrypted connection.

Yes, but only between the VM and your physical machine. Traffic to the wider internet will still be unencrypted to your ISP which I'm guessing is what you're trying to avoid. To achieve this your VPN server needs to be out on the internet somewhere, not on your internal network.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#6 2018-10-26 12:56:09

w201

Slithery wrote:
w201 wrote:

but how about setting up a VPN server on a virtual machine, is that even feasible? I guess what I'm asking is will setting up a VPN server on a virtual machine while running the client on my physical machine give me an encrypted connection.

Yes, but only between the VM and your physical machine. Traffic to the wider internet will still be unencrypted to your ISP which I'm guessing is what you're trying to avoid. To achieve this your VPN server needs to be out on the internet somewhere, not on your internal network.

Thank you, that makes sense. I'm such a dummy when it comes to TCP/IP, but I had a feeling that would be the case. I appreciate your advice.

#7 2018-10-26 15:34:29

ewaller
Administrator

What is it that you are trying to achieve?

I have a Open VPN server that runs on my Linux based router in the closet (an Asus router running Merlin firmware.) using public key authentication.  This allows me to join my LAN from VMs at work, and from my Android phone anywhere in the world.  I do this for two reasons, I have web services behind my firewall that are not exposed to the public Internet (I don't nee to give someone in Kiev the ability to control my yard irrigation), and I do it improve security of my communications by phone when using a third party wifi with my phone.

A different use case is to use a VPN so that communications don't come from your LAN.  This might because you want a persistent Internet presence, whether or not your machines at home are up.  Or, you want to appear to be somewhere you are not.  Or you just don't want to expose your home system to abuse.

Another case is that you just need a lot of processing power occasionally.   From my rather modest laptop, I can easily spin up a rather impressive supercomputer on AWS and pay for it by the second were I ever in the need for some serious number crunching.  I live near JPL and know several scientists who take that route.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2018-10-27 23:57:48

w201

ewaller wrote:

What is it that you are trying to achieve?....

I don't want communications to come from my LAN... I need it about 2-3 hours every month tops.

Board footer