You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-05 18:02:14

AlienofOne

RS-232 Serial Network Connection

Afternoon all,
     I've come across an odd idea when it comes to connecting an older piece of tech running Arch to my network. I have a system that does not have an RJ45 ethernet plug or built in wireless networking on the motherboard. I was wondering if there was a way to connect to my network using the serial/RS-232 port on the motherboard.

After some research on the rest of the interwebs, I've found a product by the name of the NET232+ intelligent cable adapter by Grid Connect. Has anyone had dabbled with this tech or idea at all?

The diagram on the product page shows two different configuration options:
1. A serial tunneling config that requires two Net232+ devices

2. A direct TCP/IP or redirector configuration that only requires one Net232.
There is a help desk post about this using their com port redirector software, but I'm sure that's not been a large interest for the community; and it's also in the event that the software cannot find a com port to connect to.

If anyone has any insight into this idea, I am most excited to hear it.

Thanks in advance,
AlienofOne

Last edited by AlienofOne (2018-11-05 18:05:51)

#2 2018-11-05 18:15:36

ewaller
Administrator

Re: RS-232 Serial Network Connection

Why not just run the RS-232 as a console and log into it from the host?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wo … al_console

Edit:  And, you can use terminal multiplexers such as tmux or screen with that.

Last edited by ewaller (2018-11-05 18:23:27)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2018-11-05 18:24:41

AlienofOne

I may have not clearly stated my objective with this post, which is completely my error. I am trying to use the system normally, but substituting the absent RJ45 connection as an ethernet connection with either a console cable or this Net232 device (RS-232/RJ45 cable or device)

My goal is to connect the console cable to a switch on my network to receive internet and intranet traffic as if I had a ethernet controller module on the motherboard.

#4 2018-11-05 18:33:29

ewaller
Administrator

Got it.  I somehow got the impression this was headless.   
This harkens way back to the days of dial up modems -- take a look at pppd
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ppp

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2018-11-06 13:27:51

AlienofOne

Thank you for your insight, ewaller, and the tip on pppd. I've found that I can use PPP from router to router, but I'm interested to see if I can do the same with two computers maybe using SLIP. I'm thinking that I'll try to create a network connection on a rs232 port on a computer with both and try to bridge that connection with the ethernet connection in conjunction with a null modem cable to send IP traffic to the serial-only computer.  I will report back with updates as I get them. Thanks again

Board footer