You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-20 22:09:29

PingFloyd

I'm a bit baffled as to why this error popped up

I was sitting there running X and it's been running just fine without even a hiccup yet, but when I switching between VCs I noticed the following error in the VC from which X was originally started from via startx.

"X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)".

I've seen other posts from various places where people have reported this error, but my situation is alot different.  Mine is different because X didn't crash nor was shut when this happen.  The X session that generated this error message was still running and kept on running without a hitch.

I don't get why that error message would come up in the VC the X server  was spawned from if it is still running.  I would think with an error message like that it would mean X should have either quit or died.  I'm guess that that message means the connection between my Screen0 (default screen from xorg.conf) lost it's syncronization, timed out, or lost it's connection to the X server.  Is that an accurate assessment of what that error message means?

Also I got to thinking, could this be a very faint sign of someone trying exploit a security hole in X on my system from the internet?  i.e. someone trying to hijack that connection through exploiting some kind of security hole.

#2 2006-08-20 23:14:12

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: I'm a bit baffled as to why this error popped up

Probably that was an X client (ie: a GUI window) that threw the error. Why it threw it is anybody's guess, possibly it crashed and you killed it, maybe you used xkill, maybe you started a client from a terminal and then closed the terminal. Though I think this later case wouldn't post output to the X-server's console like that.

Dusty

Board footer