You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-08 00:09:11

spicysupreme
Member
Registered: 2019-01-08
Posts: 19

[SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

Hi, I'm new to arch and I've installed xorg-server , xorg-apps, xorg, xterm, xinit and the packages needed to begin xorg
I've also installed the correct drivers for my NVIDIA Geforce 950 card, being the nvidia-340xx drivers
When launching command startx, I get:

 Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
xinit: server error 

Last edited by spicysupreme (2019-01-08 01:29:07)

Offline

#2 2019-01-08 00:16:44

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 29,349
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

Please paste full logs, not truncated versions.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#3 2019-01-08 00:26:10

spicysupreme
Member
Registered: 2019-01-08
Posts: 19

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

 X.Org X Server 1.20.3
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Arch Linux
Current Operating System: Linux ArchLinux 4.20.0-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 24 3:00:40 UTC 2018 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=1e32676c-b303-401e-a41b-e463ba1ab7a4 rw quiet
Build Date: 25 October 2018 04:42:32 PM

Current version of pixman: 0.36.0
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file,  (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!!) notice,  (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/home/jeremy/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log" , Time: Mon Jan 7 19: 18:19 2019
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)
(EE) /home/jeremy/.local.share/xorg/Xorg.0.log" for additional information. (EE) (EE)
Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error 

is the full response

Offline

#4 2019-01-08 00:39:54

spicysupreme
Member
Registered: 2019-01-08
Posts: 19

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

https://ptpb.pw/yv9B
Here you go, this is /home/jeremy/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

Last edited by spicysupreme (2019-01-08 00:40:32)

Offline

#5 2019-01-08 00:41:48

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 29,349
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

What's in your xinitrc?

# edit: and your conf file, which presumably your generated with nvidia-xconfig?


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#6 2019-01-08 00:44:58

spicysupreme
Member
Registered: 2019-01-08
Posts: 19

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

jasonwryan wrote:

What's in your xinitrc?

# edit: and your conf file, which presumably your generated with nvidia-xconfig?

https://ptpb.pw/hGiK
https://ptpb.pw/cuvO
I haven't messed with either of these
EDIT: sorry wrong link

Last edited by spicysupreme (2019-01-08 00:46:32)

Offline

#7 2019-01-08 00:54:49

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 29,349
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

Remove the config: xconfig just breaks things, you don't need it.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#8 2019-01-08 00:55:30

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 13,443

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

Your system contains a hybrid graphics configuration that breaks with any configuration generated by nvidia-xconfig.
If you want to just use the intel GPU then remove Xorg.conf and see if that works.  If you want to use the nvidia GPU follow NVIDIA_Optimus or Bumblebee.

Offline

#9 2019-01-08 01:00:18

spicysupreme
Member
Registered: 2019-01-08
Posts: 19

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

jasonwryan wrote:

Remove the config: xconfig just breaks things, you don't need it.

Done, rebooted, same error message.

loqs wrote:

Your system contains a hybrid graphics configuration that breaks with any configuration generated by nvidia-xconfig.
If you want to just use the intel GPU then remove Xorg.conf and see if that works.  If you want to use the nvidia GPU follow NVIDIA_Optimus or Bumblebee.

Should I uninstall my nvidia-340xx drivers then?
Also, the wiki pages for these say these are for laptops, not desktops if that makes any difference.

Offline

#10 2019-01-08 01:02:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 29,349
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

spicysupreme wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

Remove the config: xconfig just breaks things, you don't need it.

Done, rebooted, same error message.

Again, post the log. And make sure it is the one from this fail.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#11 2019-01-08 01:05:27

spicysupreme
Member
Registered: 2019-01-08
Posts: 19

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

jasonwryan wrote:
spicysupreme wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

Remove the config: xconfig just breaks things, you don't need it.

Done, rebooted, same error message.

Again, post the log. And make sure it is the one from this fail.

https://ptpb.pw/RZXQ

Offline

#12 2019-01-08 01:08:53

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 13,443

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

Also which GPU is the display connected to?  Why are you using nvidia-340xx with a 900 series card?  NVIDIA Did the nvidia kernel module fail to load as unsupported in dmesg?
If the intel GPU is connected to the display and that is what you want to use then you will need an xorg.conf snippet with the busID of that GPU.
Edit:
See Intel_graphics#Xorg_configuration but with a line added for busID.

Last edited by loqs (2019-01-08 01:10:48)

Offline

#13 2019-01-08 01:13:34

spicysupreme
Member
Registered: 2019-01-08
Posts: 19

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

loqs wrote:

Also which GPU is the display connected to?  Why are you using nvidia-340xx with a 900 series card?  NVIDIA Did the nvidia kernel module fail to load as unsupported in dmesg?
If the intel GPU is connected to the display and that is what you want to use then you will need an xorg.conf snippet with the busID of that GPU.
Edit:
See Intel_graphics#Xorg_configuration but with a line added for busID.

The display is connected to my Nvidia card. That's what I read on the wiki, perhaps I read it wrong, should I install the "nvidia" drivers? And sorry, I'm not sure how to check dmesg.

Offline

#14 2019-01-08 01:15:43

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 13,443

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

To check dmesg literally run `dmesg`  Please check the output of dmesg for lines from the nvidia module.

Offline

#15 2019-01-08 01:21:01

spicysupreme
Member
Registered: 2019-01-08
Posts: 19

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

loqs wrote:

To check dmesg literally run `dmesg`  Please check the output of dmesg for lines from the nvidia module.

This is what I get related to nvidia

 [    4.549868] nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[    4.549874] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[    4.549874] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
[    4.552140] nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[    4.557589] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=io+mem
[    4.557606] NVRM: The NVIDIA GPU 0000:01:00.0 (PCI ID: 10de:1402)
               NVRM: installed in this system is not supported by the 340.107
               NVRM: NVIDIA Linux driver release.  Please see 'Appendix
               NVRM: A - Supported NVIDIA GPU Products' in this release's
               NVRM: README, available on the Linux driver download page
               NVRM: at www.nvidia.com.
[    4.557634] nvidia: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -1
[    4.557952] NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).
[    4.557953] NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized!
[    4.557954] [drm] Module unloaded
[    4.651375] input: HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1/sound/card2/input22
[    4.651451] input: HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1/sound/card2/input23
[    4.651518] input: HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=8 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1/sound/card2/input24 

Offline

#16 2019-01-08 01:23:36

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 13,443

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

That confirms the nvidia-340xx is the wrong series for that card.  Please replace nvidia-340xx packages with their nvidia equivalents. (All will have the same name just without -340xx)
Edit:
Then reboot to ensure the kernel modules provided by the nvidia packages are loaded and try startx again if it still fails same routine post an updated Xorg.log.

Last edited by loqs (2019-01-08 01:26:48)

Offline

#17 2019-01-08 01:27:39

spicysupreme
Member
Registered: 2019-01-08
Posts: 19

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot get Xorg to begin. Drivers seem to be working.

loqs wrote:

That confirms the nvidia-340xx is the wrong series for that card.  Please replace nvidia-340xx packages with their nvidia equivalents. (All will have the same name just without -340xx)
Edit:
Then reboot to ensure the kernel modules provided by the nvidia packages are loaded and try startx again if it still fails same routine post an updated Xorg.log.

Thanks! This worked

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB