You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-03 20:26:44

Twiki
Banned

Anyone using the command line to connect to ExpressVPN servers ?

My current yearly subscription with Perfect Privacy expires in April. Due to a mixed bag of experiences over the past 11 months, I've decided to leave them.
My top choice now is ExpressVPN. Because they've completed all kinds of refinements (ever since I decided to go for Perfect Privacy).

I've just come of their live chat and they told me that they will not provide port numbers of their VPN servers. My question referred them to their own instructional webpage on how to connect to OpenVPN from the command line in Linux.
I need those port numbers to configure iptables to act as a kill switch. Just like I'm doing now with Perfect Privacy.

So if you use the command line to connect to ExpressVPN servers, did you get the port numbers from ExpressVPN, or did you implement a kill switch in a different way ?

Bidi-bidi-bidi-bidi.

#2 2019-03-03 20:45:01

/dev/zero

Re: Anyone using the command line to connect to ExpressVPN servers ?

I have a basic firewall that permits all egress, monitors for some types of scans, interfaces with sshguard, and permits ingress to certain ports such as 22. I didn't have to do any extra configuration to begin access ExpressVPN using OpenVPN on the CLI.

They supply some configuration files consumed by openvpn, which automate the addition of the required firewall rules. Then use:

openvpn --config /path/to/config.ovpn

Getting asked for a username and password each time gets old so I add an "auth-user-pass /path/to/credentials" setting to the provided configuration files.

Edit: never mind about the killswitch question, I just looked it up and understand now

Last edited by /dev/zero (2019-03-03 20:49:43)

#3 2019-03-03 20:47:14

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Anyone using the command line to connect to ExpressVPN servers ?

OpenVPN?  Look at the config they provided you.  The port number should be included in the remote line, ie:

remote www.servername.com xxx udp

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer