You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-03 18:07:47

Andonome

Is there a predictable, average time until graphics card support?

I've bought an AMD Radeon RX 550:

> lspci | grep VGA

```
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Lexa PRO [Radeon RX 550/550X] (rev c7)
```

After a *long* time failing to get it working, I've found forums saying it's not supported (and others where people are using it).

Right now, it occasionally blanks the screen with certain games or films and the HDMI monitor is non-functional (but sometimes detected).

This is the first time I've owned up-to-date hardware, and I'd like to ask if there's a predictable support time, such that I should expect this to work within the next few months, or if there's no reasonable way to guess how long until drivers support it.  If the latter is true, I can at least see about exchanging it at the shop and doing more thorough research next time.

-----------

On an unrelated note, this is the first post, and I have to say a big thanks to everyone working on the distro.  It's been a bit of a steep learning curve, but it's also been great using Arch to learn about how Linux works, and a joy to have 100% of the software I want with only three package managers (pacman, flatpak and yay).

#2 2019-05-03 18:35:57

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Is there a predictable, average time until graphics card support?

My experience with desktop cards over the past two decades:
nvidia: day one
amd: between 2 months and never

but in general 550 should be in a useable state now

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2019-05-03 19:04:43

Slithery
Administrator

My 580 (which is the identical architecture to yours) has been rock solid with the amdgpu driver since I bought it 8 months ago. I've had zero issues with it. If you are having problems then please post a proper support question in the forum as it should be working if you have all of the correct packages installed. This isn't 'modern hardware', it's at least 2 years old now.

Intel has been upstreaming support for it's new Gen11/Xe GPU's into the various relevant projects (mesa, X etc) for a year now even though none of the hardware is likely to be available until Q3 this year. All three manufacturers usually have support for new hardware within days of launch if not sooner nowadays, it's dropping support for the old hardware that is usually more of a problem.

Moving to GNU/Linux Discussion.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2019-05-03 23:38:53

Andonome

>  please post a proper support question in the forum as it should be working if you have all of the correct packages installed.

I have both the HDMI and DVI monitors working at grub, but after grub boot the HDMI cable stops working, and is only sometimes detected by arandr and xrandr.

During videos and video games, the screen blanks for a couple of seconds.

This has been tested on XCP-NG (where three Linux virtual machines blank after grub) and Arch.

I've installed `xf86-video-amdgpu` and mesa, as per the Arch wiki article on X.

I can't find the "lib32-mesa" mentioned in the X article with `pacman -Ss`.

The devices have been examined and lightly dusted.  I've found articles stating that the card doesn't work.

https://github.com/fireice-uk/xmr-stak-amd/issues/126

If support is available, I'd love to hear about that instead of waiting and hoping.

#5 2019-05-04 00:00:49

loqs

Slithery wrote:

If you are having problems then please post a proper support question in the forum

Andonome wrote:

>  please post a proper support question in the forum as it should be working if you have all of the correct packages installed.

Slithery was asking you to start a new thread in one of the support forums providing relevant details to the issue.

Andonome wrote:

I have both the HDMI and DVI monitors working at grub, but after grub boot the HDMI cable stops working, and is only sometimes detected by arandr and xrandr.

You have not provided the outputs of arandr or xrandr or dmesg or the information on the attached displays beyond the connection types.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

Andonome wrote:

During videos and video games, the screen blanks for a couple of seconds.

Please stick to one issue per topic.  No information is provided on which game or video player,  if a video player how it is configured.

Andonome wrote:

This has been tested on XCP-NG (where three Linux virtual machines blank after grub) and Arch.

Again this appears to be a separate issue  Are you using any of the amdgpu pro stack?  Please also provide details of how the virtual machines configurations both host and guest.

Andonome wrote:

I can't find the "lib32-mesa" mentioned in the X article with `pacman -Ss`.

If you do not need 32 bit support you do not need multilib and lib32-mesa.

Board footer