You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-23 11:45:10

catnap

Encrypting hard disk without wiping

Is there a way to encrypt a hard disk that already has content without first erasing the content with a wipe instruction? I think one could, at least in principle, perform a xor instruction over all bytes in the hard disk so that the bytes that the original data is xored with are generated from a finite encryption key but look completely random to an observer that has no knowledge of the key. Maybe this scheme is difficult to implement. But I wonder if there are programs that would do something similar. This would make it quicker to encrypt data that is on a disk already because it would save the extra step of uploading the data to another disk before preparing the original disk for encryption.

#2 2019-06-23 12:11:28

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Encrypting hard disk without wiping

I think you can just partition and setup luks without the secure wipe but it depends on what you want to achieve with your setup.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2019-06-23 12:23:43

frostschutz

xor-ing would be slower than outright overwriting (you'd have to read first...)

there is cryptsetup-reencrypt to encrypt on the fly in place (with some risk of data loss, inherent to all in-place operations - make a backup)

#4 2019-06-24 10:13:20

sabroad

Some SSDs are always encrypted- for these you just need to set a passphrase (to lock/unlock the DEK encryption key).
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Se … ing_Drives

--
saint_abroad

Board footer