You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-03 01:27:10

Ellgee

Suggested improvements to this BBS' registration process

First off, hi there! I'm new here. Looking to contribute something positive.

I was registering just now and two things about the registration challenge frustrated me.

#1:

The challenge sometimes failed, sometimes worked. Here are two commands I was prompted to run that failed. I'll redact some of the result so that no one can use it, but I'll provide enough so someone can verify if the output was correct or not. FYI, I know the response is time-based, and it's a Friday afternoon in Pacific Time. I don't think I'm near a week number boundary AFAIK...

date -u +%V$(uname)|sha1sum|sed 's/\W//g'
b7173..............................bcdad

date -u +%V$(uname)|sha224sum|sed 's/\W//g'
72a9d............................................4c7e0e2

#2:

It's difficult to read and tedious to select and copy/paste the challenge command because the font is tiny and the ending single quote from sed is jammed up against a double-quote around the entire command. Because the command is not presented in a monospaced font, it's a pain to grab the command out. I didn't even see the ending single-quote until I tried to run the command and it failed.

Here's how it looks on my computer. It requires a lot of hand-eye coordination to grab the command out.

challenge.png

With some square brackets and a little spacing, it would be much nicer to interact with the challenge:

What is the output of [ date -u +%V$(uname)|sha224sum|sed 's/\W//g' ]?

Here's an example of how that would look:

challenge-fixed.png

#2 2019-08-03 01:40:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Suggested improvements to this BBS' registration process

For #1, I get the same output as you.

For #2, that seems a reasonable suggestion, but - of course - brackets could lead to other problems:

$ [ date -u +%V$(uname)|sha224sum|sed 's/\W//g' ]
sed: ]: No such file or directory
ash: missing ]

Given that HTML has <pre> and <code> tags, there could be a much better solution:

What is the output of the following command:
<pre><code>date -u +%V$(uname)|sha224sum|sed 's/\W//g'</code></pre>
<input ...

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer