You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-17 00:24:43

Martinsos

[SOLVED] Setting up wifi dongle (alfa awus036ach)

I spent last couple of days setting up alfa aweus036ach wifi dongle to work with my Arch (Gnome, NetworkManager, wpa_supplicant, kernel 5.3.6).
I feel now that I managed to mostly set it up, and I created a blog post here describing how I did it so far: http://martinsosic.com/linux/arch/2019/ … linux.html .
I am guessing there are probably better ways to do some things than what I did, which is why I am posting this here, so if you are interested in giving it a look and letting me know what I could improve / do better, please do so!

Last edited by Martinsos (2019-10-22 09:57:08)

#2 2019-10-17 11:08:47

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] Setting up wifi dongle (alfa awus036ach)

Never advocate a systemwide install without a PKGBUILD unless you install to /usr/local .

Writing PKGBUILDS is not hard, if that 3rd driver is useful, start a PKGBUILD for it.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2019-10-17 11:21:58

Martinsos

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Never advocate a systemwide install without a PKGBUILD unless you install to /usr/local .

Writing PKGBUILDS is not hard, if that 3rd driver is useful, start a PKGBUILD for it.

Hey thanks for advice -> I merely followed instructions from that github repo, and it had nice amount of stars so I thought it is ok. Source is copied to /usr/src/rtl8812au-5.2.20.

I will obviously have to look into how to write PKGBUILD, but just to give me some better idea of what I want to do: are you suggesting that I write PKGBUILD for just myself, or to actually put it on AUR as a package? And finally why it is so important to have it -> it helps me track what I have installed?

#4 2019-10-17 12:13:41

Lone_Wolf

are you suggesting that I write PKGBUILD for just myself, or to actually put it on AUR as a package?

Whichever you prefer is fine.

And finally why it is so important to have it -> it helps me track what I have installed?

That's  a big part of it, but not all.
pacman is the core of an archlinux installation and (imo) the main reason arch works so well.

A major cause of problems users post is installing things outside of pacman.
Either manually or using some other package manager for system-wide installs ( pip for python, npm for javascript etc)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer