You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-18 12:56:25

nahush

arch system Broke,coping timeshift folder to External drive?[SOLVED]

Hello friends ,
     As i told , my system Broke yesterday ,when i was trying to cooy timeshift folder on another drive as it was on the same drive as the os was . While copying I got an error of "there is no space on the drive fodder to be copied " but as far as my knowledge the drive which was connected had more than 5 to 10 GB de space remaining so I tried again with the sudo command but again the same reply came so after much more time I just decided to quit and shut down my I laptop remove my external hard disc.

Problem started:
from here on when I started my laptop I was unable to connect to internet I tried to find the reason but I was not clear what was happening so I just thought I'll just give it restart and then after giving the restart the system started to show error messages and then there was no login screen to login from .there are several messages I will give it down below,after that there is just a cursor blinking on a black screen.how should I go about this let me know thanks.

The error messages are aftwr the boot when all system d process are started

[Failed]failed to start login service
[Failed] failed to start Network Time Synchronisation

What I tried

As i was having timeshift installed i thought illlogin from live usb or arch chroot into it and restore from timeshift , but doing that is also not possible as error of writing to file no space left on device is started showing in chroot environment. process gets stopped.

Last edited by nahush (2019-11-19 19:01:59)

#2 2019-11-18 13:20:58

xerxes_

Re: arch system Broke,coping timeshift folder to External drive?[SOLVED]

First of all: what is that timeshift? Is that linux software or something from mac? Write exact command what you do to copy(? cooy?) that folder or if you use some gui program write full paths to source directory (timeshift) and target directory where you wanted to copy. Also write free, used and total space of that drive/partition you wanted to copy and timeshift folder used space.

And how timeshift folder have something to do with problems on arch linux?

Last edited by xerxes_ (2019-11-18 13:21:35)

#3 2019-11-18 13:48:58

nahush

xerxes_ wrote:

First of all: what is that timeshift? Is that linux software or something from mac? Write exact command what you do to copy(? cooy?) that folder or if you use some gui program write full paths to source directory (timeshift) and target directory where you wanted to copy. Also write free, used and total space of that drive/partition you wanted to copy and timeshift folder used space.

And how timeshift folder have something to do with problems on arch linux?

Timeshift is linux programme for backing up the system.which uses rsync to perform the task

I wanted to copy the folder in external hard drive of 1 Tb capacity.

External disk remaining space 700gb
Timeshift folder size 3 gb

The command i used was
cp /home/narch-music/timeshift/snapshot  / run/mount/ media/Toshiba

Sudo cp -r /home/narch-music/timeshift/snapshot. /run/mount/media/Toshiba

Last edited by nahush (2019-11-18 14:08:04)

#4 2019-11-18 14:01:06

V1del
Forum Moderator

If you literally ran these commands that way (and even if you didn't, the fact that you posted them as such here, doesn't make me confident that you did indeed execute them correctly) contains a few spaces, so you likely copied much more than you originally intended and you probably overwrote a lot of your root filesystem with the second command because you once again had spaces at places that they don't belong.

From what we know so far, I'd say your system is hosed... FWIW from a chroot what's your output for

pacman -Qkk

#5 2019-11-18 14:14:10

nahush

V1del wrote:

If you literally ran these commands that way (and even if you didn't, the fact that you posted them as such here, doesn't make me confident that you did indeed execute them correctly) contains a few spaces, so you likely copied much more than you originally intended and you probably overwrote a lot of your root filesystem with the second command because you once again had spaces at places that they don't belong.

From what we know so far, I'd say your system is hosed... FWIW from a chroot what's your output for

pacman -Qkk

Sorry man i cant copy the full output as i am doing it from my phone i cant copy and paste the output but if you want I'll try to manage .

There is a modification time mismatch and size mismatch brackets

Backup file:pulseaudio :/etc/pulse/daemon.conf(modifacation time mismatch )
Backup file:pulseaudio :/etc/pulse/default.pa
Backup file:pulseaudio :/etc/pulse/default.pa(size mismatch)

Last edited by nahush (2019-11-18 14:29:35)

#6 2019-11-18 14:23:12

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

You can use a pastebin client to upload the output, and then post the link here. See the tip in this topic: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … in_clients

#7 2019-11-18 15:16:47

nahush

I will check if that is possible for me as i dont have that much good connection of internet.i dont understand how can i copy from laptop to my smartphone.can take pictures .

#8 2019-11-18 15:21:13

V1del
Forum Moderator

Don't take pictures, follow the links to directly post the text, much more readable and much better for your data plan.

#9 2019-11-18 19:27:55

nahush

V1del wrote:

Don't take pictures, follow the links to directly post the text, much more readable and much better for your data plan.

I am unable to understand as i need to download the said programme but my computer is not able to connect internet as well
Should i do all the operation from chroot of live usb

Last edited by nahush (2019-11-18 19:29:42)

#10 2019-11-18 19:38:02

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

V1del wrote:

from a chroot

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#11 2019-11-18 20:14:33

nahush

jasonwryan wrote:
V1del wrote:

from a chroot

I am unable to connect the internet from chroot

#12 2019-11-18 20:25:21

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

nahush wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:
V1del wrote:

from a chroot

That is not an error message: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

Please make some effort to help yourself. At the very least, attempt to daignose the issue rather than just giving up and expecting someone here to handhold you through what is the most basic part of running Arch.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#13 2019-11-18 20:57:29

nahush

jasonwryan wrote:
nahush wrote:

That is not an error message: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

Please make some effort to help yourself. At the very least, attempt to daignose the issue rather than just giving up and expecting someone here to handhold you through what is the most basic part of running Arch.

I am trying to do an effort but i am unable to connect to internet for doing anything . As i dont have any other computer and i am replying from my smartphone . I don't have any other means to meet the both ends.

As i run the Pacman -Qkk i didn't get anything about alterations ,just some. With the mismatch error with backup file . I do know this might be frustrating but i am trying to do what i can to clear my problem as well to understand what i should do.i know that getting issue solved from forum i need to to upload the errors but when i am unable to do it i am unaware how to do about it please try to understand .

Is there any other way , while starting my computer i am getting failed systemd processes of login manager ,network manager and hostname service

Last edited by nahush (2019-11-18 21:01:45)

#14 2019-11-18 21:06:40

seth

"chroot" means to boot from a live distro (or eg. the installation medium) and doesn't involve another computer.
If you really typed that stuff from post #3 w/ the random blanks sprinkled in into a console, check whether there's a ~/media/Toshiba directory which will (in case) contain huge amounts of data, because you apparently tried to copy the timeshift snapshot, the entire root partition and all mounted devices there.
This would explain the "not enough space" error as well as your booting issues (because you tried to sudo-fix it…)
Delete that stuff to gain some space on your disk. You might not even be able to do that from the installed system and will have to do it from a live distro.

#15 2019-11-18 21:22:37

nahush

seth wrote:

"chroot" means to boot from a live distro (or eg. the installation medium) and doesn't involve another computer.
If you really typed that stuff from post #3 w/ the random blanks sprinkled in into a console, check whether there's a ~/media/Toshiba directory which will (in case) contain huge amounts of data, because you apparently tried to copy the timeshift snapshot, the entire root partition and all mounted devices there.
This would explain the "not enough space" error as well as your booting issues (because you tried to sudo-fix it…)
Delete that stuff to gain some space on your disk. You might not even be able to do that from the installed system and will have to do it from a live distro.

Thanks for input as i will try and do it will let you know

Edit: as you mentioned i found that the folder of snapshot was copied to the root .so i deleted and trying to restore the system with timeshift restore from chroot. As this moves further i will let you know what is the outcome.

Last edited by nahush (2019-11-18 22:19:35)

#16 2019-11-19 19:00:32

nahush

seth wrote:

Thank You Very Much For The Suggestions From All Who Tried To Help Me .

I quoted seth because he did hit the right spot , as he told I tried to search the space accumulating folder on the root drive .which was as mentioned by him . i foolishly tried to copy the folder of the "timeshift snapshots" to my external drive. but actually my command went wrong somewhere , which still not able to find.

For the search plugged my live usb of arch and mounted my drive including the external hard disk . Then I gave command

df -h

. which showed me the used and available space of all the drives. from which I understood that the root drive was full(cause it was having the copied folder of snapshots in it) so I deleted the folder with

.rm -r snapshot 

. which gave the space.then I chroot to mnt and  I used the

timeshift --restore 

command. which gave me options to select the snapshot for the restoring the system ,selected the snapshot required and then all thing went well I was able to boot and login the system. Then as all the packages installed was old i did

sudo pacman -Syu 

to make my system update.

Thats how I was able to recover my system to run properly .

please "Do Not Copy The Timeshift Folder , if you want from start have a pendrive of 32gb or so dedicated for the snapshot  saving .

Last edited by nahush (2019-11-19 19:04:48)

Board footer