You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-04 19:13:57

sdaffer
Member
Registered: 2010-12-02
Posts: 6

Ratpoison - Failed to open font

I've been working through this problem for hours, and have yet to come up with anything. Very new, but it seems this is the place for people like me.

I can run awesome wm by using

 exec awesome 

in my ~/.xinitrc file, but when I try to run ratpoison by using

 exec ratpoison 

, I get this error:

 Failed to open font
ratpoison:globals.c:338: error: No Xft font available.
Xinit: connection to X server lost

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Offline

#2 2019-12-04 19:26:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,525
Website

Re: Ratpoison - Failed to open font

What is the result of `fc-match Mono-11`?

Last edited by Trilby (2019-12-04 19:28:41)


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#3 2019-12-04 19:34:08

sdaffer
Member
Registered: 2010-12-02
Posts: 6

Re: Ratpoison - Failed to open font

Command completed successfully, but the same results for startx with ratpoison as wm.

Offline

#4 2019-12-04 20:12:16

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,161

Re: Ratpoison - Failed to open font

Trilby wants to see the output of the command, not whether it can execute w/o error.

Offline

#5 2019-12-04 20:19:19

sdaffer
Member
Registered: 2010-12-02
Posts: 6

Re: Ratpoison - Failed to open font

I apologize, no output at all.

Offline

#6 2019-12-04 21:02:15

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,161

Re: Ratpoison - Failed to open font

I assume you just don't have *any* font package installed at all? So install some. (DejaVu, Noto, Adobe Source, … whatever you like)

Offline

#7 2019-12-05 00:28:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,525
Website

Re: Ratpoison - Failed to open font

Yup, you'd only get that error if there was no font to satisfy "Mono-11", which just about any font package could.  The ratpoison package should probably depend on the ttf-font meta package to ensure at least one is installed.


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB