You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-31 00:49:26

Strangiato
Member
Registered: 2020-01-10
Posts: 521

How to delete/edit files saved/created by another user on EXT4 FS?

Hi
I have two user accounts on my Arch, on my PC there is an EXT4 partition only used to store personal data.
Files created/saved by user A on this EXT4 partition can not be deleted or edited by user B and vice-versa.

How can I configure my EXT4 partition in such a way that any user can delete anything created or saved on it by either user?

Offline

#2 2020-01-31 01:01:05

Slithery
Administrator
From: Norfolk, UK
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 5,776

Re: How to delete/edit files saved/created by another user on EXT4 FS?


No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Offline

#3 2020-01-31 12:26:33

Strangiato
Member
Registered: 2020-01-10
Posts: 521

Re: How to delete/edit files saved/created by another user on EXT4 FS?

I added both user accounts to disk group and the problem persists.

Offline

#4 2020-01-31 12:33:17

Slithery
Administrator
From: Norfolk, UK
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 5,776

Re: How to delete/edit files saved/created by another user on EXT4 FS?

You shouldn't be adding anyone to the disk group. You need to edit the permissions on the relevant folders.


No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Offline

#5 2020-01-31 13:37:09

Strangiato
Member
Registered: 2020-01-10
Posts: 521

Re: How to delete/edit files saved/created by another user on EXT4 FS?

I want total permission to all user accounts for any file/folder saved/created by any user account in EXT4 partition.
I kwon that I can change the permission of files/folders after they to be saved/created in such partition.
But I do not want to do it all the time.
I need to set partition to allow total access to all user accounts all the time.

Last edited by Strangiato (2020-01-31 13:37:35)

Offline

#6 2020-01-31 13:47:33

progandy
Member
Registered: 2012-05-17
Posts: 5,321

Re: How to delete/edit files saved/created by another user on EXT4 FS?

It is impossible with ext4 to disable permission checks.  You might be able to configure something usable with POSIX ACL (setfacl), but I haven't tried it.


| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' | alias ENGLISH='LANG=C.UTF-8 ' |

Offline

#7 2020-01-31 14:32:41

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,052

Re: How to delete/edit files saved/created by another user on EXT4 FS?

Online

#8 2020-02-01 12:11:22

Strangiato
Member
Registered: 2020-01-10
Posts: 521

Re: How to delete/edit files saved/created by another user on EXT4 FS?

ACL solved my problem. Thank you all.

Offline

#9 2020-02-01 13:11:34

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: How to delete/edit files saved/created by another user on EXT4 FS?

Please mark as [SOLVED] by editing the title in your first post.

Offline

#10 2020-02-01 13:14:29

Strangiato
Member
Registered: 2020-01-10
Posts: 521

Re: How to delete/edit files saved/created by another user on EXT4 FS?

I can't because subject length limit.

Offline

#11 2020-02-01 14:08:29

kokoko3k
Member
Registered: 2008-11-14
Posts: 2,473

Re: How to delete/edit files saved/created by another user on EXT4 FS?

Then put some effort, be creative and shrink it.


Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB