You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-22 02:52:54

Decker

[SOLVED] Using Vulkan/AMDGPU-Pro with an AMD Radeon HD 7850

Hey there!
First of all, sorry if I am using the wrong subforum. I am pretty new to it all smile

Four days ago I installed Arch Linux (with lightDM, i3-gaps, polybar) in order to port
my tiny game engine to xcb + vulkan.

However, I cannot get vulkan to work properly on my system.

I installed, according to the wiki, 'vulkan-icd-loader', 'vulkan-amdgpu-pro', 'vulkan-tools', 'vulkan-headers', 'vulkan-validation-layers'.

Additionally I updated my GRUB to contain the following line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1"

and updated my grub config.

Running

lshw -c video

, however, yields

configuration: driver=radeon latency=0

Next on running 'vulkaninfo'.

Explicitly setting 'VK_ICD_FILENAMES' to 'usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/amd_pro_icd64.json' I receive the following output:

amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.50.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.
WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : terminator_CreateInstance: Failed to CreateInstance in ICD 0.  Skipping ICD.
Cannot create Vulkan instance.
This problem is often caused by a faulty installation of the Vulkan driver or attempting to use a GPU that does not support Vulkan.
ERROR at /build/vulkan-tools/src/Vulkan-Tools-1.2.135/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:624:vkCreateInstance failed with ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER

Setting it to '/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json' I receive the only this output:

ERROR at /build/vulkan-tools/src/Vulkan-Tools-1.2.135/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:240:vkEnumerateInstanceExtensionProperties failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

I am pretty certain that my device supports Vulkan.

Are there any crucial steps I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I am a newbie, please go easy on me.

SOLUTION

I had to create two files in '/etc/modprobe.d', namely:
- amdgpu.conf:

options amdgpu si_support=1
options amdgpu cik_support=0

- radeon.conf

options radeon si_support=0
options radeon cik_support=0

All other approaches for setting these kernel parameters did NOT work. Also note that the german arch wiki is slightly outdated on that topic.

Last edited by Decker (2020-03-22 18:41:00)

#2 2020-03-22 11:43:48

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] Using Vulkan/AMDGPU-Pro with an AMD Radeon HD 7850

Welcome to archlinux forums.

For archlinux users vulkan-radeon is the best choice, amdvlk is good in certain usecases and vulkan-amdgpu-pro is last resort.

What distros / users do you expect to run this game engine ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2020-03-22 11:44:55)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-03-22 12:25:28

Decker

Hey there!

I didn't plan much in terms of "which distro am I going to support". My goal is to get it running at all on linux
and later on think about which distros/package managers to look into.

However, before this leads to confusion. This is not about the game engine, but about getting Vulkan to run at all on my device.

#4 2021-12-12 20:14:45

text70

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Welcome to archlinux forums.

For archlinux users vulkan-radeon is the best choice, amdvlk is good in certain usecases and vulkan-amdgpu-pro is last resort.

What distros / users do you expect to run this game engine ?

I tested the above solution( adding .conf files) out on my HD 7850. It works, with the added benefit that this solution is also compatible with 'vulkan-radeon' + 'vulkan-devel'.

$ vulkaninfo | grep -m 1 driverInfo
WARNING: radv is not a conformant Vulkan implementation, testing use only.
        driverInfo         = Mesa 21.2.5

It throws a warning, but still runs just great.

Last edited by text70 (2021-12-12 20:24:45)

Board footer