You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-29 00:43:20

callmejoe

Internet Sharing

I added a second network card to my PC and want to use it to share my internet with a laptop.

I followed the wiki here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Internet_sharing

everything went fine until the part about setting up the client. the laptop is my company laptop and i can't modify any settings on it.

Is there a way to share my internet connection without having to make changes to the client device??

#2 2020-03-29 07:13:45

seth

Re: Internet Sharing

Why would you have to make changes to the client itfp?

If it's your regular windows/macos/ubuntu installation, it will use am dhcp request, so if your host has a dhcp server running, the client will get the IP from there and have no idea that it's talking to "another computer" instead of "a router" (since there's actually no difference)

If the client has a fix config to use some VPN or so, ideally w/ signed authorization, this is of course not possible.
If the client is designed to talk to one particular endpoint only and exclusively and you cannot provide that exact endpoint or alter the client you're facing an impossible dilemma.

#3 2020-03-29 07:45:10

callmejoe

Re: Internet Sharing

seth wrote:

Why would you have to make changes to the client itfp?

well there is an instruction under https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … figuration

All configuration is done on the server computer, except for the final step of #Assigning IP addresses to the client PC(s)

But I think I am reading that section wrong and overlooked some steps. main one being that i need to install a dhcp server on the host machine. i have dhcpcd installed and i incorrectly thought that was both a client and server.  i need dhcpd.

I'm going to go through the steps again.

Thanks

Board footer