You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-13 17:19:13

ephreal

[SOLVED] Samba 4.12 issues

Hey All,

Just checking to see if anyone else is having issues with Samba 4.12 or knows how to help with an issue with it. I upgraded last week to samba 4.12.2-3 and have had no end of trouble with clients (both windows and archlinux) being unable to access the server smb shares. Windows devices accessing the share either say

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

or

The file handle is invalid

while archlinux devices say

Sorry, could not display all the contents of "public of fs.example.com": Device or resource busy

Restarting the smb service seems to fix it for a short period of time, but inevitably, the processes get locked up and forces me to run another restart of the service.

Some quick searching indicated that oplocks might be an issue, but disabling those made no difference.

# In /etc/smb.conf
strict locking = no
oplocks = no
kernel oplocks = no

I was going to try disabling oplocks on the client side, but SMBv2 and SMBv3 no longer support disabling oplocks on the client side, and I'd prefer not to go back to SMBv1 if I can help it.

Next, I attempted to downgrade to samba 4.11 through the pacman cache, but some libraries have changed/are missing from the upgrade which makes starting a downgraded service impossible.

Running testparm shows that I have a few older/deprecated options active, but nothing that should be affecting file server share access. I have replaced any references to the actual domain with EXAMPLE and EXAMPLE.DOMAIN.COM here.

testparm
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
WARNING: The "encrypt passwords" option is deprecated
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: The setting 'security=ads' should NOT be combined with the 'password server' parameter.
(by default Samba will discover the correct DC to contact automatically).

Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

# Global parameters
[global]
	client signing = if_required
	dedicated keytab file = /etc/krb5/keytab
	dns proxy = No
	kerberos method = secrets and keytab
	load printers = No
	password server = dc02.EXAMPLE.DOMAIN.COM
	preferred master = No
	realm = EXAMPLE.DOMAIN.COM
	security = ADS
	server signing = if_required
	server string = %h
	template shell = /bin/bash
	username map = /usr/local/samba/etc/user.map
	winbind enum groups = Yes
	winbind enum users = Yes
	winbind offline logon = Yes
	winbind refresh tickets = Yes
	winbind use default domain = Yes
	wins server = dc02.EXAMPLE.DOMAIN.COM
	workgroup = EXAMPLE
	idmap config * : range = 10000-20000
	idmap config * : backend = tdb
	acl group control = Yes
	delete veto files = Yes
	inherit acls = Yes
	map acl inherit = Yes
	veto files = /icon?/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/.DS_Store/.TemporaryItems/TheFindByContentFolder/.FBCindex/.FBCIndexCopy/.localized/Cleanup At Startup/.FBCLockFolder/.Trashes/thumbs.dbi/desktop.ini/Thumbs.db
	vfs objects = acl_xattr

[shareroot$]
	path = /share/shareroot
	read only = No

[public]
	path = /share/shareroot/public
	read only = No

[users$]
	path = /share/shareroot/users
	read only = No

[userdesktops$]
	path = /share/shareroot/userdesktops
	read only = No

[fonts$]
	path = /share/shareroot/public/Common/fonts
	read only = No

I've read through the troubleshooting section at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sa … leshooting , but I'm not seeing anything that would apply in this situation.

Has anyone else had similar issues/have ideas on how to get this back up and running? Even if no one has any ideas on how to get this functioning right now, I'd like to verify that others are having the same issue before I consider filing a bug report.

Last edited by ephreal (2020-05-13 23:57:14)

#2 2020-05-13 23:56:58

ephreal

Re: [SOLVED] Samba 4.12 issues

I hate when a re-installation fixes an issue because there was nothing learned. That said, if you are having this issue, reinstalling should get you back up and running.

#3 2020-05-14 08:32:55

easymodo
Website

This is most likely the issue. The dev also provided a patch in comments which supposedly fixes this.

#4 2020-05-14 14:03:08

ephreal

Thanks easymodo! That sounds exactly like the issue. If it recurs, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

#5 2020-05-18 06:54:16

easymodo
Website

The patch did not help, had to downgrade. Working fine for now..

ldb-1 1.5.6-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
libwbclient-4.10.10-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
samba-4.10.10-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
smbclient-4.10.10-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

#6 2020-05-18 10:50:33

papavlos

Samba is planning for tomorrow (19th of May) the 4.12.3 maintenance release, it will also contain the patch mentioned above. Hopefully a couple of days later we will have it arch-packaged in our repo.
Regarding downgrading to 4.11.3 (the last arch-packaged samba before 4.12.x) - you have to go to Arch archive here in order to get three needed packages to be installed at once:

• libwbclient-4.11.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

• samba-4.11.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

• smbclient-4.11.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

The libwbclient package is no longer needed by samba 4.12.x and that's why it has disappeared from current repo.

Board footer