You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-22 23:10:26

r4yman

Youtube weird Video Player in Chromium

Hey fellow tech lovers,

Explanation of the problem

I am using chromium as my web browser and I very quickly realized that youtube does not use the "normal" video player (very simple one, with black backgrounds and white buttons) but instead what I think might be the default HTML5 video player. Now I wouldn't mind, but by default it does not show any controls and I have to right click the video and click "Show Controls" so that I, for an example, can pause a video just so the controls are hidden again. I have to repeat this process every time I want to control (change volume, play/pause, skip to certain time) the video and that I think its understandably annoying and does not seem normal.

What I tried to fix this issue

- I read through the Arch Linux Wiki on different Topics (e.g. Chromium, Video Codecs, ...)
- I extensively searched google for this problem (but none of the described issues matched mine)
- I searched in this forum (but I could not find a matching thread)

Technical/Debug Information

I am using an up to date arch linux system and the chromium package from the offical repos. I also have the chromium-widevine extension from AUR installed, but I dont think this has to do anything with this problem.
Sadly I have no real debug information because technically its working. I installed Firefox and tried it there, and its working like expected in Firefox. If you need more information, please just I ask for it and I will try to provide it.

Thanks for any help in advance!

#2 2020-05-23 14:21:03

xerxes_

Re: Youtube weird Video Player in Chromium

I haven't seen on youtube that player you mentioned; just standard player which don't have option "Show Controls" and displays controls when mouse is moved.

However you can try keyboard shortcuts:
f - for toggle full screen on and off
space / k - play / pause video
right arrow / l - 10 seconds forward
left arrow / j - 10 seconds backward
up & down arrow to change sound loudness
m - mute sound

#3 2020-05-23 23:26:58

r4yman

Re: Youtube weird Video Player in Chromium

xerxes_ wrote:

I haven't seen on youtube that player you mentioned; just standard player which don't have option "Show Controls" and displays controls when mouse is moved.

However you can try keyboard shortcuts:
f - for toggle full screen on and off
space / k - play / pause video
right arrow / l - 10 seconds forward
left arrow / j - 10 seconds backward
up & down arrow to change sound loudness
m - mute sound

unfortunately these shortcuts also dont seem to work D:

Board footer