You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-01 21:57:41

blacklisted0

GitLab configuration fails: "Errno::EACCES: Permission denied @ rb_sy"

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to set up GitLab in a private environment, but during the configuration / initialization, the above-mentioned error occurs.
To configure GitLab I followed the steps described in the ArchLinux wiki.
Things I have done so far (without an error):

• Installed and configured PostgreSQL as mentioned on the wiki page

• Set hostname and port values accordingly

• Let the default values set for Puma

• Created the 2 secret files with the mentioned commands

• Created the secrets.yml file with 2 new secret strings

• Configured Redis to listen on a unix socket with permission 770 and added the gitlab user to the redis group

• Generated the PostgreSQL user and the database gitlabhq_production

• Tried to initialize the GitLab database

During the execution of the last listed step, the following error occurs:

/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/mime-types-3.2.2/lib/mime/types/logger.rb:30: warning: `_1' is reserved for numbered parameter; consider another name
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/mime-types-3.2.2/lib/mime/types/logger.rb:30: warning: `_2' is reserved for numbered parameter; consider another name
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/mime-types-3.2.2/lib/mime/types/logger.rb:30: warning: `_3' is reserved for numbered parameter; consider another name
Missing Rails.application.secrets.otp_key_base for production environment. The secret will be generated and stored in config/secrets.yml.
Missing Rails.application.secrets.openid_connect_signing_key for production environment. The secret will be generated and stored in config/secrets.yml.
rake aborted!
Errno::EACCES: Permission denied @ rb_sysopen - /usr/share/webapps/gitlab/config/secrets.yml
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/config/initializers/01_secret_token.rb:97:in `write'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/config/initializers/01_secret_token.rb:97:in `write_secrets_yml'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/config/initializers/01_secret_token.rb:38:in `create_tokens'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/config/initializers/01_secret_token.rb:100:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:318:in `load'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:318:in `block in load'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:291:in `load_dependency'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:318:in `load'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/engine.rb:666:in `block in load_config_initializer'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.1/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:182:in `instrument'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/engine.rb:665:in `load_config_initializer'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/engine.rb:625:in `block (2 levels) in <class:Engine>'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/engine.rb:624:in `each'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/engine.rb:624:in `block in <class:Engine>'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/initializable.rb:32:in `instance_exec'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/initializable.rb:32:in `run'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/initializable.rb:61:in `block in run_initializers'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/initializable.rb:50:in `each'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/initializable.rb:50:in `tsort_each_child'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/initializable.rb:60:in `run_initializers'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/application.rb:363:in `initialize!'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/config/environment.rb:5:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:324:in `require'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:324:in `block in require'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:291:in `load_dependency'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:324:in `require'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/application.rb:339:in `require_environment!'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/railties-6.0.3.1/lib/rails/application.rb:523:in `block in run_tasks_blocks'
/usr/share/webapps/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rake-12.3.3/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/bin/bundle:23:in `load'
/usr/bin/bundle:23:in `<main>'
Tasks: TOP => gitlab:setup => gitlab_environment => environment
(See full trace by running task with --trace)
sudo -u gitlab $(cat environment | xargs) bundle exec rake gitlab:setup  8.64s user 3.33s system 98% cpu 12.171 total

I've already tried changing the permission of the secrets.yml file to the gitlab user / group, but the command didn't succeeded.

Does anybody know or has an approach, how I could try to fix this?

#2 2021-03-17 03:07:54

bbus

Re: GitLab configuration fails: "Errno::EACCES: Permission denied @ rb_sy"

I ran into this just now. Were you ever able to work around it?

I had tried almost the same as you, setting the group of the secrets.yml file to be owned by the gitlab group, and I had the permissions set to 640. After reading the output for the 7th time, I thought maybe change the permissions to 660, since it is trying to write some new keys there.
So, for me, the user owner is root, and the group is gitlab, set to 660.

That got me past that point, and on to the next error I need to figure out. The permissions in my pg_hba.conf are wrong, and I need to read up on them to figure out how to properly assign them.

#3 2021-03-18 06:23:46

str0gg
Website

Re: GitLab configuration fails: "Errno::EACCES: Permission denied @ rb_sy"

@blacklisted0 pass configuration for all components

Board footer