You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-27 15:23:50

zaqxswcde.rop

How to install mongodb in arch linux?

#2 2020-09-27 15:25:21

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: How to install mongodb in arch linux?

It's in the AUR. Start with the AUR wiki page.

#3 2020-09-27 15:40:07

zaqxswcde.rop

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MongoDB

Which one should I install on this page?

mongodbAUR - builds from source, requiring 180GB+ free disk space, and may take several hours to build (i.e. 6.5 hours on Intel i7, 1 hour on 32 Xeon cores with high-end NVMe.)
    mongodb-binAUR - prebuilt MongoDB binary extracted from official MongoDB Ubuntu repository packages. Compilation options used are unknown.

It is written that the installation time takes 5 to 6 hours
I do not know how to install .bin files!
please guide me smile

#4 2020-09-27 15:47:23

Scimmia
Fellow

Again, start with the AUR wiki page

#5 2020-09-27 15:49:25

G3ro

zaqxswcde.rop wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MongoDB

Which one should I install on this page?

mongodbAUR - builds from source, requiring 180GB+ free disk space, and may take several hours to build (i.e. 6.5 hours on Intel i7, 1 hour on 32 Xeon cores with high-end NVMe.)
    mongodb-binAUR - prebuilt MongoDB binary extracted from official MongoDB Ubuntu repository packages. Compilation options used are unknown.

It is written that the installation time takes 5 to 6 hours
I do not know how to install .bin files!
please guide me smile

I would try the bin-package first, because such long compilation times are annoying.
You could check though whether the version included in the bin-package is recent enough (I recommend most recent versions of course).
Update: I see that the PKGBUILD uses "bionic", you can try to use "focal" instead, just edit the PKGBUILD file.
More info:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
https://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu/dists/

It will install automatically, just follow the guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … g_packages).
The method applies to all packages of AUR, no matter if they are -bin, -dev or other packages.

Edit: Removed detailed howto and recommendation for pamac.
Get used to makepkg first.

Last edited by G3ro (2020-09-27 22:03:07)

#6 2020-09-27 18:03:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

G3ro, there is no need to spoonfeed basic information that is already provided in the wiki on how to use the AUR.  And certainly don't top it off with bad advice to use unsupported and frequently broken "helpers".

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2020-09-27 19:54:17

G3ro

Trilby wrote:

G3ro, there is no need to spoonfeed basic information that is already provided in the wiki on how to use the AUR.  And certainly don't top it off with bad advice to use unsupported and frequently broken "helpers".

There are two things bothering me about Arch so far:
1. pacman
2. The (sometimes) unfriendly behaviour, both in the Bug Section and now here.

And two more things:
1. Pamac is the standard in Manjaro, so it is no broken or unsupported software.
2. zaqxswcde.rop asked about how to install the -bin package and what package to use best.
I answered both questions, as it seems to be not so clear from the Wiki, whether it applies to bin-packages, too.

I recommend to be more friendly.

Update: See below.

Last edited by G3ro (2020-09-27 22:01:47)

#8 2020-09-27 20:00:23

twelveeighty

I recommend to go back to Manjaro and stop wasting our time with asking for a ban. By design, Arch is not user-friendly. Live with it, or leave.

#9 2020-09-27 20:01:09

loqs

#10 2020-09-27 21:32:49

G3ro

Code_of_conduct#Life_is_a_two-way_street
http://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/ see #2: Cease Enabling Behavior

I know about this vampire debate.
I admit that zaqxswcde.rop could be a help vampire, but still the reason I answered is described above.

The wiki does not clearly state how to install bin-packages, it's of course the same way, but maybe not everyone understands this.
Then zaqxswcde.rop asked a specific and reasonable question, which package to use, which I answered and gave some more tips.

All in all I think this is a border case.
Next time I will limit my answer to reasonable questions and don't post a howto, is that a good compromise?

And one suggestion regarding this:
I am active in different communities and I think that most people are no "help vampires" because they are evil, so it might be helpful to just tell them, that they should search for solutions themselves first.
And yes I can read the category descriptions etc., but believe me many people read over them, especially when they search for a fast solution.

I recommend to go back to Manjaro and stop wasting our time with asking for a ban. By design, Arch is not user-friendly. Live with it, or leave.

I think that every software should be "user-friendly", the only question (and thus difference between projects and distros in this case) is "what is user-friendly?".
I respect the bare-metal approach etc., but some things are just not necessary and overcomplicated imo.
Details probably belong elsewhere or are known anyway.

#11 2020-09-27 21:44:11

loqs

The recommendation of an AUR helper to a user new to AUR is probably the most contentious point.
This often leads to a user not being able to use makepkg,  or not being aware that helpers internally use makepkg or to complain to AUR package maintainers about broken PKGBUILDs which are actually an issue with the helper.

Last edited by loqs (2020-09-27 21:44:34)

#12 2020-09-27 21:57:29

G3ro

loqs wrote:

The recommendation of an AUR helper to a user new to AUR is probably the most contentious point.
This often leads to a user not being able to use makepkg, or not being aware that helpers internally use makepkg or to complain to AUR package maintainers about broken PKGBUILDs which are actually an issue with the helper.

Well I guess I can agree with that.
So I will avoid recommending AUR helpers to newbies, before they know whats going on.

Still pamac should not be considered broken by default imo, it is actively maintained etc.
And labeling it as broken would in my oppinion be against respecting other software and distros.
It even offers a live-buildlog and asks to check the PKGBUILD files before build.

#13 2020-09-28 13:06:51

twelveeighty

G3ro wrote:

I think that every software should be "user-friendly"

Then Arch is not for you. Your mistake is to think that Arch is "inclusive", or that it is aimed at everyone. It's is not. We do not look down on other distros, and a great deal of them are a better option for you.

#14 2020-09-28 13:14:58

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

I think that's enough of the off-topic argument. Please don't make me close this thread or split out a bunch of posts.

Let's let the OP come back and tell us if they need more help.

#15 2020-09-28 16:47:09

Khere

yay -S mongodb

Or:

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/mongodb.git

Fan of Giorgio Moroder & Mohammad Ammax enemy

#16 2020-09-28 16:55:40

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

OK, that's enough. zaqxswcde.rop, as you have been told, start with the AUR wiki page and learn how to install AUR packages. If you have problems, post a new topic and give us the exact commands you used and the exact error messages you received.

This topic is just attracting garbage. Closing.

#17 2020-09-29 00:54:04

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

zaqxswcde.rop wrote:

Abusing my mod powers to add to this thread that this is not a constructive way to ask questions of our community.

Please read do read this article and you will get exponentially better response from the people volunteering their time to help you.

Board footer