You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-10 06:57:32

veronikazaglotova

[SOLVED] I decided I don't care as long as everything works

This may be a stupid question. Please forgive me...
I use i3wm. I followed this guide https://old.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/a … selection/
But I didn't have any file picker at all! I had xdg-desktop-portal package in list of completion in zsh, so I installed that manually and it started working.
Is there any reason for it to not be a dependency for xdg-desktop-portal-kde? Why would anyone install xdg-desktop-portal-kde if it doesn't work without xdg-desktop-portal?

Last edited by veronikazaglotova (2020-11-10 14:56:29)

#2 2020-11-10 14:55:38

twelveeighty

Re: [SOLVED] I decided I don't care as long as everything works

While it may be counter-intuitive, xdg-desktop-portal-kde doesn't "require" xdg-desktop-portal" to build, therefore it is not a dependency, in that sense of the word. You would have noticed something odd if you would have just tried to install "xdg-desktop-portal" by itself, since it requires "xdg-desktop-portal-impl", which is one of the xdg-desktop-portal-{gtk,kde,wlr} implementations. The KDE one is just one of the possible deps that fulfills that dependency. But I would agree with the position that xdg-desktop-portal-kde doesn't "run" without its xdg-desktop-portal counterpart.

In this case, you could file a low priority bug asking if it would make sense to have xdg-desktop-portal-{gtk,kde,wlr} depend on xdg-desktop-portal as well, but cyclical dependencies is not exactly KISS-principles either.

#3 2020-11-10 15:07:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

In the future, follow this communities wiki rather than a random post on reddit and you would not have faced this trouble.

Please RE-Edit your title so that it has some meaning to be useful for others.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-11-10 15:08:16)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2020-11-10 15:11:11

twelveeighty

I'm assuming you didn't intend anything harmful by changing the title, but you changed it from something that described the problem to something that essentially says "for those that cared to type a response: f*ck you". Please change it back or ask a moderator to delete the thread altogether.

Please read: Forums Rules - Please use appropriate post titles and Arch Linux Code of Conduct

Board footer