You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-26 21:20:29

tdowling
Member
Registered: 2020-11-26
Posts: 8

[SOLVED] Timeshift Replacement

So with TimeShift flagged out of date, what would a suitable replacement be.  Or should I just run an rsync command and save a backup of my drive before every upgrade or change?

smile

Last edited by tdowling (2020-11-27 16:06:59)

Offline

#2 2020-11-26 22:25:11

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin
From: Czech Republic
Registered: 2012-05-29
Posts: 702

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift Replacement

Why do you need a replacement? Just wait until the package gets updated.

Offline

#3 2020-11-26 23:22:07

GaKu999
Member
From: US/Eastern
Registered: 2020-06-21
Posts: 660

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift Replacement

If you only want a justification for making your own for fun & giggles you can go ahead.

I did a pair of scripts to manage btrfs snapshots, and together with a instance systemd timer/service I’d say it does the trick at the simple featureless way possible.

And mixed with an alpm hook, I have the full pack for just what I needed.

...

In any case, out of date is more a reminder for the maintainer, it will get updated with time.


My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

Offline

#4 2020-11-27 03:10:23

jonathan47
Member
Registered: 2010-01-17
Posts: 8

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift Replacement

The previous posts apparently refer to the AUR version, 20.03-1, Timeshift is available from Arch's Community repo. It's version 20.11.1, which appears to be current. https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift  Coincidentally, I installed Timeshift from the Community repo today and, once I saw this post, checked its version number. 

By the way, Timeshift 20.11.1 shows up in Pamac (from "official repositories"), but not when I search for the package at www.archlinux.org/packages.

Offline

#5 2020-11-27 03:31:34

GaKu999
Member
From: US/Eastern
Registered: 2020-06-21
Posts: 660

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift Replacement

jonathan47 wrote:

The previous posts apparently refer to the AUR version, 20.03-1, Timeshift is available from Arch's Community repo. It's version 20.11.1, which appears to be current. https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift  Coincidentally, I installed Timeshift from the Community repo today and, once I saw this post, checked its version number. 

By the way, Timeshift 20.11.1 shows up in Pamac (from "official repositories"), but not when I search for the package at www.archlinux.org/packages.

Nope to ye, timeshift is not in community, it's on aur on that version only.
Or you have an additional repo, or you are not using ArchLinux... either way, I don't rely on pamac, I have no way of knowing what wizardry you are doing.


My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

Offline

#6 2020-11-27 03:53:30

jonathan47
Member
Registered: 2010-01-17
Posts: 8

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift Replacement

GaKu999 wrote:
jonathan47 wrote:

The previous posts apparently refer to the AUR version, 20.03-1, Timeshift is available from Arch's Community repo. It's version 20.11.1, which appears to be current. https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift  Coincidentally, I installed Timeshift from the Community repo today and, once I saw this post, checked its version number. 

By the way, Timeshift 20.11.1 shows up in Pamac (from "official repositories"), but not when I search for the package at www.archlinux.org/packages.

Nope to ye, timeshift is not in community, it's on aur on that version only.
Or you have an additional repo, or you are not using ArchLinux... either way, I don't rely on pamac, I have no way of knowing what wizardry you are doing.

I'm using Manjaro. (Don't stone me.) That must be the reason for the difference.

Offline

#7 2020-11-27 05:06:48

fukawi2
Administrator
From: .vic.au
Registered: 2007-09-28
Posts: 6,130
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift Replacement

jonathan47 wrote:

I'm using Manjaro. (Don't stone me.) That must be the reason for the difference.

So don't give misguided "support" here please. Manjaro is not Arch; this is a perfect example of why we don't support Manjaro. You sent OP on a wild goose chase looking for something that only exists in Manjaro.

Offline

#8 2020-11-27 08:06:05

tucuxi
Member
From: Switzerland
Registered: 2020-03-08
Posts: 191

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift Replacement

I shifted from timeshift to borg a while ago and find it more suitable for my use case.

Offline

#9 2020-11-27 16:01:34

tdowling
Member
Registered: 2020-11-26
Posts: 8

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift Replacement

Thanks everyone for the help.   I now have a better understanding on what the out of date means, as I always took it as the end of life of the package.  I like timeshift. 

big_smile

Offline

#10 2020-11-29 12:25:38

tronie.service
Member
From: Western Europe
Registered: 2020-11-18
Posts: 2

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift Replacement

timeshift is now updated in AUR to version 20.11.1-1. To install it you need to temporary downgrade xapp to version 1.8.10. After installing timeshift xapp can be upgraded to current version again.

Offline

#11 2020-11-30 03:50:01

tdowling
Member
Registered: 2020-11-26
Posts: 8

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift Replacement

tronie.service wrote:

timeshift is now updated in AUR to version 20.11.1-1. To install it you need to temporary downgrade xapp to version 1.8.10. After installing timeshift xapp can be upgraded to current version again.

Looks like they might have fixed this already.  I successfully installed with

xapp-2.0.0-1

I was able to backup my drive successfully as well.  Lets see if I get any errors. smile

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB