You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-05 08:24:16

bd

Arch installation on Tiger-Lake MSI Prestige 14 Evo

Hi there,

I would like to report about my experiences with Arch installation on the MSI Prestige Evo 14 (A11M-005) (model according to UEFI `MS-14C4`). So far I am quite happy with the system, but obviously had to fix some things, why I would like to write some comments.

I installed the base system using the standard instructions (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide), with `iwd` as essential package for wifi, and then installed `gnome` package group.

Before booting into installation-medium I disabled `secure boot` as described in the wiki for the predecessor model (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MSI_P14).

Right after installation and booting `gwd` I had no keyboard. Reboot and entering into UEFI gave keyboard back. Turns out, that I still have to do this, see below.

Working:

• WLAN: working out-of-the-box using `iwctl` during installation; later `iwd` with `networkmanager-iwd`(AUR) 

• Sound: working after installation of `sof-firmware`, external mic also working, internal still not

• Bluetooth: working out-of-the-box (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth)

• Thunderbolt: working out-of-the-box (tested only with USB-stick)

• USB: working out-of-the-box (tested only with USB stick)

• Webcam: working out-of-the-box, I guess, after finding out about the kill-switch (which was not trivial)

Not yet working:

• Internal mic: not working, but I guess it is a configuration issue

• Keyboard-issues: after booting, sometimes, there is no keyboard; can definitely be fixed by just entering UEFI and quitting right away, which obviously is strange, of course (ordering in `/etc/mkinitcpio.conf` HOOKS helped, see thread below)

• Rebooting-lag: when rebooting, sometimes, there is a stop-process which blocks reboot for 2 minutes

Open points:

• would like to try (undervolting-)optimization, like mentioned in the predecessor's article, although battery and fan-settings look good to me. Comments welcome.

• ACPI Errors: tried to "update" DSDT, but could not yet; there are 256 warnings, 0 errors though, tried to override ACPI, but /boot/acpi_override was not found smile; want to try again, any comments welcome (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DSDT)

Let me know if you are interested in further information, logs, system details, etc.

Last edited by bd (2020-12-05 19:28:10)

#2 2020-12-05 18:04:12

MountainX

Re: Arch installation on Tiger-Lake MSI Prestige 14 Evo

This may or may not help with your keyboard issue, but you could try a checking or editing /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. I know that for encrypted systems you can encounter a situation where the keyboard input is not available at the moment input is needed to enter the decryption passphrase. The solution to this is to make sure the ordering in HOOKS lists the keyboard before autodetect. See my example below.

HOOKS=(base udev keyboard autodetect encrypt modconf block filesystems fsck)

Don't just copy/paste that because you may not be using disk encryption or some of the other things I use. The suggestion is simply to try putting the keyboard hook before autodetect, as explained here:

mkinitcpio - ArchWiki

#3 2020-12-05 18:07:35

MountainX

Rebooting-lag: when rebooting, sometimes, there is a stop-process which blocks reboot for 2 minutes

You should paste details if you want helping resolving that. BTW, I don't think any of what you mention is unique to your specific laptop model.

#4 2020-12-05 19:10:23

bd

Thanks for the link, I will check regarding the keyboard-issue.

Regarding other issues, could you give me a hint, what information would be useful?

I still face the problem, when starting from a "normal" system and do a reboot, the following happens:

• Normal reboot

• No keyboard at login (gdm), though the backlight-button of the keyboard works once

• I shut down using the mouse-pad and the stop-job is hitting the 2 min limit (A stop job is running for User Manager for UID 1000)

• After successful shutdown I turn on the computer and the screen stays black. After fan started getting loud, I force-turned-off the machine

• After turning on the computer again, entering UEFI and quitting without saving, everything boots okay and works normal.

There are no systemd services that failed (systemctl --failed)

And

journalctl -p 3 -xb

gives me:

Dez 05 16:45:50 archer kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\_SB.PC00.PEG0.PEGP._DSD], AE_ALREADY_EXIS>
Dez 05 16:45:50 archer kernel: ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20200717/psobject-220)
Dez 05 16:45:50 archer kernel: pci 0000:00:07.0: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
Dez 05 16:45:50 archer kernel: pci 0000:00:07.1: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
Dez 05 16:45:51 archer kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: GET_CURRENT_CAM command failed
Dez 05 16:45:52 archer systemd-udevd[304]: wlan0: Failed to get link config: No such device
Dez 05 16:45:54 archer bluetoothd[512]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Dez 05 16:46:00 archer systemd[829]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit UNIT has failed
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit UNIT has finished with a failure.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 402 and the job result is failed.
Dez 05 16:46:00 archer systemd[829]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
░░ 
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 390 and the job result is failed.

WiFi is working normal.
Thanks.

#5 2020-12-05 19:14:29

bd

MountainX wrote:

This may or may not help with your keyboard issue, but you could try a checking or editing /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. I know that for encrypted systems you can encounter a situation where the keyboard input is not available at the moment input is needed to enter the decryption passphrase. The solution to this is to make sure the ordering in HOOKS lists the keyboard before autodetect. See my example below.

Don't just copy/paste that because you may not be using disk encryption or some of the other things I use. The suggestion is simply to try putting the keyboard hook before autodetect, as explained here:

mkinitcpio - ArchWiki

I do not have encryption.

At the moment, my

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf

contains this:

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)

I will check if the ordering helps.

#6 2020-12-05 19:24:42

bd

bd wrote:
MountainX wrote:

mkinitcpio - ArchWiki

I do not have encryption.

At the moment, my

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf

contains this:

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)

I will check if the ordering helps.

Perfect. I put the keyboard before autodetect and this seams to work very well! Thanks. My reboot was working. Also shutdown and booting worked with keyboard available afterwards.

#7 2020-12-05 19:27:46

MountainX

bd wrote:

Perfect. I put the keyboard before autodetect and this seams to work very well! Thanks. My reboot was working. Also shutdown and booting worked with keyboard available afterwards.

Thanks for the update. Glad it helped. :-)

#8 2020-12-07 18:12:51

bd

I am now "down" to this `journalctl`:

journalctl -p 3 -xb
-- Journal begins at Wed 2020-12-02 16:09:36 CET, ends at Mon 2020-12-07 18:29:09 CET. --
Dez 07 17:58:28 archer kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\_SB.PC00.PEG0.PEGP._DSD], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20200717/dswload2-326)
Dez 07 17:58:28 archer kernel: ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20200717/psobject-220)
Dez 07 17:58:28 archer kernel: pci 0000:00:07.0: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
Dez 07 17:58:28 archer kernel: pci 0000:00:07.1: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
Dez 07 17:58:29 archer systemd-udevd[275]: wlan0: Failed to get link config: No such device

The reboot-lag still persists:

A stop job is running for User Manager for UID 1000

cannot be executed within 2 minutes.
Shutting down works fine most of the time, although sometimes there is also the 2-minute stop job when shutting down shortly after a boot up...

Running

$ dmesg | grep wlan

shows

[   17.131004] wlan0: authenticate with 38:43:7d:93:e8:bd
[   17.134870] wlan0: send auth to 38:43:7d:93:e8:bd (try 1/3)
[   17.169954] wlan0: authenticated
[   17.170315] wlan0: associating with AP with corrupt probe response
[   17.172460] wlan0: associate with 38:43:7d:93:e8:bd (try 1/3)
[   17.186002] wlan0: RX AssocResp from 38:43:7d:93:e8:bd (capab=0x1411 status=0 aid=4)
[   17.190855] wlan0: associated
[   17.284067] wlan0: Limiting TX power to 20 (20 - 0) dBm as advertised by 38:43:7d:93:e8:bd
[   17.322276] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready

And in

systemctl status systemd-udevd

one can find appended:

Dez 07 17:58:29 archer systemd-udevd[275]: Using default interface naming scheme 'v247'.
Dez 07 17:58:29 archer systemd-udevd[275]: wlan0: Failed to get link config: No such device
Dez 07 17:58:29 archer systemd-udevd[280]: Using default interface naming scheme 'v247'.
Dez 07 17:58:29 archer systemd-udevd[280]: ethtool: autonegotiation is unset or enabled, the speed and duplex are not writable.
Dez 07 17:58:29 archer systemd-udevd[267]: controlC0: Process '/usr/bin/alsactl restore 0' failed with exit code 99.

Any hints?

#9 2020-12-07 18:27:24

MountainX

bd wrote:

...and then installed `gnome` package group.

Since you are running Gnome, this may be relevant to your problem:
FS#68852 - Systemd hangs on GNOME reboot/shutdown

Last edited by MountainX (2020-12-07 18:53:08)

#10 2020-12-07 21:25:33

bd

Interestingly, appending

Slice=-.slice

to

/usr/lib/systemd/user/gnome-session-restart-dbus.service

, as stated in your link, fixes the reboot-lag.

But after reboot, I had no keyboard again (HOOKS are unchanged, as I confirmed). Shutting down showed a stop job related to power management. After successful shutdown (ca. 1 minute), I tried to boot again, which resulted in a black screen (no UEFI/manufacturer logo), no screen-backlight at all. Had to force-shutdown and boot again. This time okay. I'm afraid, I could reproduce this behaviour once, for now. I will check tomorrow.

For now,

journalctl -p 3 -xb

shows an error from before:

-- Journal begins at Wed 2020-12-02 16:09:36 CET, ends at Mon 2020-12-07 22:15:58 CET. --
Dez 07 22:15:17 archer kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\_SB.PC00.PEG0.PEGP._DSD], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20200717/dswload2-326)
Dez 07 22:15:17 archer kernel: ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20200717/psobject-220)
Dez 07 22:15:17 archer kernel: pci 0000:00:07.0: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
Dez 07 22:15:17 archer kernel: pci 0000:00:07.1: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
Dez 07 22:15:18 archer systemd-udevd[290]: wlan0: Failed to get link config: No such device
Dez 07 22:15:27 archer systemd[836]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
░░ 
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 390 and the job result is failed.

#11 2020-12-07 21:39:32

MountainX

I don't know much about gnome. I have been using KDE plasma exclusively. I was hoping someone who knows more about this issue would jump into the thread to assist you.

Don't take this as expert advice, but in my experience, errors like these are usually inconsequential. You could search on each exact error, but unless I'm having a problem, I usually ignore ACPI errors.

ACPI BIOS Error
pci 0000:00:07.0: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid

I have attempted to fix some pci errors for certain motherboards in the past, and I found that it really made no difference in my case. So as long as I'm not having an error, I ignore those too. My guess is that they are not related to your issues. But you could find out by testing without launching gnome and see how things work.

Given that gnome has a bug that seems to be affecting you, would you consider switching to Plasma desktop? Or maybe just use it (or something else for testing)? I guess you could just test in X and see what your reboot and shutdown experience is.

There is a single KDE meta package you can install like you did for gnome, if you want to try it. I actually pick and choose my KDE packages, and I usually end up installing something like this list for my Xorg GUI / desktop packages:

arandr arch-install-scripts dex dolphin-plugins element-desktop firefox inkscape krita libreoffice-still mpv networkmanager networkmanager-openvpn plasma-meta rawtherapee retext sddm simplescreenrecorder speedcrunch  xclip xdotool xorg-xev xorg-xinit kaddressbook kalarm kde-graphics-meta kde-multimedia-meta kde-system-meta kde-utilities-meta kdeplasma-addons kirigami-gallery kompare kdeconnect kget kio-extras krfb zeroconf-ioslave cups 

There are other KDE applications and related things, but that's my basic list. As you see, it includes some gnome apps I use. You could install a minimal KDE for testing if you wish. KDE is very resource efficient.

#12 2020-12-07 21:43:17

MountainX

Regarding this error:

Is that happening early in the boot process? Does wlan0 get enabled by itself later? I believe you said it does and that wlan0 works correctly.

It is possible that this error means nothing. However, if you want to debug it, look into your udev rules and see why they cannot find your wireless device. You could make a new question specifically for that issue.

#13 2020-12-08 20:52:12

bd

Thanks for your hint regarding wlan0 and udev. I will look into this.

Meanwhile I could reproduce my bad shutdown/reboot behaviour and had to delete the `fix` for gnome, since then my system seams stable, except of the reboot-lag (stop job for UID 1000....)

To clearify: I was adding the fix to

/usr/lib/systemd/user/gnome-session-restart-dbus.service

but then, after booting a shutted-down system, I had no keyboard again and pretty nervous fan (processor getting hot). Rebooting resulted in a black-screen without backlight which I had to force-shutdown. Booting again worked with keyboard.

I could reproduce this three times.

Now, since I deleted my change in /usr/lib/systemd/user/gnome-session-restart-dbus.service, everything seams okay. But I noticed that GNOME extensions are not working ..... WTF? Okay, I maybe have never checked it, because I was installing PaperWM as a gnome-extensions only this morning.

So, to sum up: It seams that the fix for `gnome-session` leads to an unstable system for me. Any hints for investigation?

#14 2020-12-09 17:21:27

bd

MountainX wrote:

I don't know much about gnome. I have been using KDE plasma exclusively. I was hoping someone who knows more about this issue would jump into the thread to assist you.

Don't take this as expert advice, but in my experience, errors like these are usually inconsequential. You could search on each exact error, but unless I'm having a problem, I usually ignore ACPI errors.

ACPI BIOS Error
pci 0000:00:07.0: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid

I have attempted to fix some pci errors for certain motherboards in the past, and I found that it really made no difference in my case. So as long as I'm not having an error, I ignore those too. My guess is that they are not related to your issues. But you could find out by testing without launching gnome and see how things work.

Given that gnome has a bug that seems to be affecting you, would you consider switching to Plasma desktop? Or maybe just use it (or something else for testing)? I guess you could just test in X and see what your reboot and shutdown experience is.

There is a single KDE meta package you can install like you did for gnome, if you want to try it. I actually pick and choose my KDE packages, and I usually end up installing something like this list for my Xorg GUI / desktop packages:

arandr arch-install-scripts dex dolphin-plugins element-desktop firefox inkscape krita libreoffice-still mpv networkmanager networkmanager-openvpn plasma-meta rawtherapee retext sddm simplescreenrecorder speedcrunch  xclip xdotool xorg-xev xorg-xinit kaddressbook kalarm kde-graphics-meta kde-multimedia-meta kde-system-meta kde-utilities-meta kdeplasma-addons kirigami-gallery kompare kdeconnect kget kio-extras krfb zeroconf-ioslave cups 

There are other KDE applications and related things, but that's my basic list. As you see, it includes some gnome apps I use. You could install a minimal KDE for testing if you wish. KDE is very resource efficient.

Could I just install KDE alongside Gnome3?

#15 2020-12-11 06:47:30

MountainX

Regarding this error:

Do you dual boot with Windows? If so, see reply #3 in this post:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=261599

Could I just install KDE alongside Gnome3?

Yes, but I have not personally done it. I have read that it can be done, but I don't know if you will run into any difficult configuration issues. It might be best to ask a new question on that topic.

#16 2020-12-11 07:13:30

MountainX

Looks like you may find a fix for the long shutdown issue here:

2 minutes delay at poweroff with systemd-247 (#74) · Issues · GNOME / gnome-session · GitLab

#17 2020-12-11 07:52:43

bd

Yes, thanks, worked for me.

Still, sometimes booting with no keyboard. Restarting ends in blackscreen. After force-shutdown and rebooting, everything is very normal smile Weird.

At the moment, I am looking for my microphone to work. I probably will open a thread for this, since it is more tricky than I thought (see my initial post smile)

Thank you very much so far!

P.S. I try staying with Gnome3 for now, since I really love my setup at the moment. But will look into KDE when I find the time.

Last edited by bd (2020-12-11 07:54:12)

#18 2021-03-12 10:05:20

salvoblu

Hi BD, I have the same issue with the internal mic. I installed the SOF drivers and the output works but no way for input. Do you have any detailed tips to share?
Many thanks!

#19 2021-03-12 16:23:05

bd

What does this give for you?

~> lspci -v | grep -i audio -A7
lspci: Unable to load libkmod resources: error -2
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller (rev 20)
	DeviceName: Onboard - Sound
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 12c5
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 171, IOMMU group 15
	Memory at 603d188000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Memory at 603d000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: sof-audio-pci

I have only one config-file:

# /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
blacklist snd_hda_intel

If the kernel-driver is loaded correctly, I would guess that maybe the micro is muted?

But I just realised that muting in alsamixer does not affect my mic. I use gnome and in the audio-settings you can see a visual representation when the microphone is recording something.

The `muting`-key F5 is not working for me.

But see also here: I really changed only this config-file and then the right kernel driver was loaded and microphone was working:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=261625

Last edited by bd (2021-03-12 16:26:22)

#20 2021-03-15 17:53:30

salvoblu

Hi, this my output:

00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Device a0c8 (rev 20)
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 171
    Memory at 603d188000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Memory at 603d000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: sof-audio-pci
    Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_sof_pci

00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device a0a3 (rev 20)
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 255
    Memory at 603d194000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    I/O ports at efa0 [size=32]

Making "ls" in /etc/modprobe.d I get these files:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2507 lug 31  2015 alsa-base.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  154 nov 25  2019 amd64-microcode-blacklist.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  325 gen 28  2018 blacklist-ath_pci.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1667 lug 28  2020 blacklist.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  210 gen 28  2018 blacklist-firewire.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  677 lug 28  2020 blacklist-framebuffer.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  156 lug 31  2015 blacklist-modem.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   41 feb 21 13:06 blacklist-oss.conf -> /lib/linux-sound-base/noOSS.modprobe.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  583 gen 28  2018 blacklist-rare-network.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  127 ott 14  2019 dkms.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  154 giu 10  2020 intel-microcode-blacklist.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  347 gen 28  2018 iwlwifi.conf

Output sounds works but internal mic not: the input volume is set to high so it does not seems to be mute.
Surely, some parameter is missing in .conf file ... but who knows.
Thanks for your help!

#21 2021-03-15 19:31:11

bd

Hi, I would really like to help, but I am no expert on this, I'm afraid.

I have only one file in

/etc/modprobe.d/ 

That is:

modprobe.conf 

with content only one line

blacklist snd_hda_intel 

In your case, it seams to me, that the correct driver is in use, as stated in your output, but I do not know if this assumption is correct.

You can test your mic pretty fast using the following command and recording some noice:

arecord -d 5 test-mic.wav

And stop recording by pressing Strg+C then play the recorded file:

aplay test-mic.wav

By muted, I meant that maybe the mic is muted, not the speaker.

Please try

alsamixer -c 0

and then check if all the channels are on and with `F4` you can also switch to microphone settings and unmute everything.

You could also post a screenshot of alsamixer.

Let me know if you find something useful

Kind regards

#22 2021-03-16 17:35:30

salvoblu

Hi, I appreciate your support but do not worry if we do not solve... sooner or later I will succeed
I made tests but it does not record anything. It's like the mic is mute.

I made a screenshot of alsamixer but I do not know how to post it here.
Thanks!

#23 2021-03-16 18:16:12

bd

I'm afraid you have to upload it somewhere an post the link.

Did you try F4 in alsamixer? Do you have volume-levels for all the channels?

If we cannot succeed in this, you will have to post a question on this and hopefully someone can help you by requiring the right logs.

Last edited by bd (2021-03-16 18:17:38)

#24 2021-03-17 08:19:02

salvoblu

Hi, I uploaded the screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cncqtU … sp=sharing

I can see two suspected "disabled" but I cannot understand how to act.

#25 2021-03-19 06:28:25

bd

Here is my setting, and mic is working (using arecord and aplay to check): https://ibb.co/SmstWzJ

Please try to go with the arrow-keys and push the up-arrow key to higher the volume.

Also you can use the mouse to klick on the "MM" to unmute, or press the M-key when the column is selected.

Please see here also for a small instruction:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/Alsamixer

Board footer