You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-22 19:26:06

delphinen

how to make arch safe enough to remote desktop?

I have a dsl connection at home, and I need to remote from work to my home usually.
Sometimes I need to reboot my computer at home from a remote connection because I need to change to another OS.
The problem with arch, is that if adsl is not able to connect at startup for some reason, it wont try it later, and I will lost the machine.
Other distributions, like debian, keeps the daemon running until it connects, or try it later; I can do the same with windows and it dsl connection properties; but so far, I have not been able to do it with arch.

Thanks in advance

#2 2006-10-22 23:54:05

Pavel Jackoff

Re: how to make arch safe enough to remote desktop?

well, if there is no way to configure it that way, you could write a shell script that checks if a connection is established and if not, tries to connect. then tell cron to run it every 10 minutes or something.

#3 2006-10-27 16:01:56

STiAT

Well, i'd say pppd knows when it has been disconnected, and quits itself.

So, ensure you have the flag -detach in your pppd configuration file enabled, and configure your inittab similar to this
pd:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/pppd

This would ensure to reconnect when the pppd daemon quits. This might not be the proper arch way to go, but it should work wink

That's the commandline version, if you are running KDE, kppp has a reconnect method for pppd.

The other way would be to write a small shell or perl script to check if the daemon is running or if you still have a connection up.

Hope it helps
// STi

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#4 2006-10-27 18:09:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

STiAT wrote:

This would ensure to reconnect when the pppd daemon quits. This might not be the proper arch way to go, but it should work wink

I would recommend a change (properly submitted to the bugtracker, of course 8)) to allow pppd to run either once, or until it connects... not sure of the proper way to handle this, as I've never used pppd.

#5 2006-11-06 18:45:47

delphinen

I have tried changing pppoe-start in adsl daemon script to pppoe-connect, but now it hangs forever when is unable to connect.

What do you guys think about overriding the adsl script (which forks pppoe-start) and in exchange of that, run pppd (as I do in debian)?

PD: I made a simple script in /etc/rc.d/ that calls "pppd call dsl-provder" instead of adsl. After that I configured ppp to use a "safe" conf (for example, if the adsl router lost it hardware link, ppp will re connect automatically after some minutes):

noipdefault
defaultroute
hide-password
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
maxfail 0
noauth
persist
#mtu 1492
usepeerdns
plugin rp-pppoe.so eth0

Board footer