You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-03 11:52:39

mass_t
Member
Registered: 2015-04-21
Posts: 28

Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05H, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, GeForce RTX 2060.

1) Touchpad not work fixed with 5.11.rc5.d0124.g6ee1d74-1 from Manjaro repo https://gitlab.manjaro.org/packages/core/linux511
2) `FnLock` indicator does not change after loading the kernel, but it works correctly BEFORE loading, for example, from the bios or grub.
3) If you select switchable mode for the graphics card in the BIOS and boot from AMD ATI 06: 00.0 Renoir, overwriting

/sys/class/backlight/amdgpu_bl1/brightness

does not change the display brightness. At the same time, if you select a discrete video card in the BIOS, overwriting

/sys/class/backlight/nv_backlight/brightness

changes correctly, although this does not work with the slider from the gnome. Unfortunately, in this mode, the laptop is very quickly discharged, which does not allow you to work normally on the battery.

Offline

#2 2021-02-03 11:55:17

mass_t
Member
Registered: 2015-04-21
Posts: 28

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

Also, brightness work correctly only on latest Ubuntu. I test this on Arch, Manjaro and Fedora, brightness not work.

Offline

#3 2021-02-13 05:44:57

mass_t
Member
Registered: 2015-04-21
Posts: 28

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

Any ideas?

Offline

#4 2021-02-13 14:14:28

Lone_Wolf
Member
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 9,461

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct - How to Post wrote:

Choose one topic per thread. Long threads are typically discouraged in the technical issue
subforums.


You start with touchpad issues, so let's make that the topic for this thread.

Have you tried https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-mainline to verify whether the fix comes from the kernel or is manjaro - specific ?


Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.
Did you use the guided installer ? If yes, I can't help you.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Offline

#5 2021-02-23 19:15:06

Domii21
Member
Registered: 2021-02-23
Posts: 1

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

mass_t wrote:

Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05H, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, GeForce RTX 2060..

Sorry for offtopic, but what's the battery life on Linux? Do you have 60 or 80Wh battery?
Your answer would be very useful to me smile

Offline

#6 2021-03-28 05:22:53

mass_t
Member
Registered: 2015-04-21
Posts: 28

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

Domii21 wrote:
mass_t wrote:

Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05H, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, GeForce RTX 2060..

Sorry for offtopic, but what's the battery life on Linux? Do you have 60 or 80Wh battery?
Your answer would be very useful to me smile

60Wh,  ~4 hours of work for coding in vscode + music + multiple tabs in Firefox. it would be longer if it was possible to reduce the brightness on the integrated video card sad

Last edited by mass_t (2021-06-07 07:47:54)

Offline

#7 2021-03-28 05:23:23

mass_t
Member
Registered: 2015-04-21
Posts: 28

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

Lone_Wolf wrote:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct - How to Post wrote:

Choose one topic per thread. Long threads are typically discouraged in the technical issue
subforums.


You start with touchpad issues, so let's make that the topic for this thread.

Have you tried https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-mainline to verify whether the fix comes from the kernel or is manjaro - specific ?

Now touchpad is work fine.

Offline

#8 2021-06-17 13:07:26

x1unix
Member
Registered: 2021-06-17
Posts: 1

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

I was able to get backlight working, but I'm using only integrated amd video.
The similar method might also work for nvidia graphics, just use other backlight class.

Here is a quick brief: https://gist.github.com/x1unix/67c154d4 … 9acceff635

Last edited by x1unix (2021-06-17 13:08:27)

Offline

#9 2021-08-23 02:17:26

Superadmin
Member
Registered: 2021-08-22
Posts: 44

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

From The Newbie Corner
Guys
Was your issue resolved?
I am also thinking of installing Arch on my main daily driver
I rock the same specs as yours and am running fedora right now
But there are some issues that I want fixed
Like FnLock Indicator does not work on my machine
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there any option for prime switch for GPU
If yes will there be any sort of issues?
Like mentioned above brightness does not work

If any of the above mentioned issues were resolved of yours
Then do let me know what did you do to resolve that
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And also can you tell me how is the battery life
Windows used to run for more than 5 hours
Fedora runs with less than 2 hours
What about Arch Linux?
I have 1660 Ti on my laptop
& Do you use any battery life extension software or program like TLP or Powertop ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there any issues that you would like to point out ?
Major or Minor please list them all...

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-08-23 03:06:05)

Offline

#10 2021-08-24 16:26:29

insti
Member
Registered: 2021-08-24
Posts: 2

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

Superadmin wrote:

From The Newbie Corner
Guys
Was your issue resolved?
I am also thinking of installing Arch on my main daily driver
I rock the same specs as yours and am running fedora right now
But there are some issues that I want fixed
Like FnLock Indicator does not work on my machine
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there any option for prime switch for GPU
If yes will there be any sort of issues?
Like mentioned above brightness does not work

If any of the above mentioned issues were resolved of yours
Then do let me know what did you do to resolve that
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And also can you tell me how is the battery life
Windows used to run for more than 5 hours
Fedora runs with less than 2 hours
What about Arch Linux?
I have 1660 Ti on my laptop
& Do you use any battery life extension software or program like TLP or Powertop ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there any issues that you would like to point out ?
Major or Minor please list them all...

Hey, so I've been daily running Arch on this machine for the past couple weeks and this is what I can tell you:

1. I don't use an FnLock Indicator, I just simply use Fn keys so I can't comment regarding this.
2. I'm using optimus-manager and it works fine for launching specific games on Nvidia, but I wasn't able to get the Nvidia GPU to turn off. It always runs in hybrid mode. Thankfully the GPU does go to a low power state when not in use so it doesn't sip as much power as you think.
3. Brightness works fine. You just need to add a kernel parameter amdgpu.backlight=0 and it'll work fine.
4. Battery life is... not good. I never really used Windows on it so I can't comment, but on Linux I am getting around 2.5 hours with normal usage (browsing the web, listening to music, watching videos, programming). I do have TLP and autosuspend installed. Thanks to autosuspend battery sipping when lid is closed isn't all that much (I left it overnight from 100% and when I woke up it was 70%). I tried installing Powertop but it would keep crashing my system so I didn't bother.
5. I guess for major issues I would say battery life and the fact that I can't seem to get the Nvidia GPU to turn off (I tried bbswitch and ACPI, no dutch). Also if you have the RGB keyboard version, when TLP turns off the keyboard and when you turn it back on it forgets the colour presets. In order to change the colour presets for the RGB keyboard since there still isn't an OpenRGB driver for it you need to boot into Windows in order to change it. I also heard that the HDMI port didn't work until now but since the latest Nvidia drivers support Reverse PRIME it should be configurable to work. I didn't test it so I can't confirm this. I also think the laptop is quite heavy but that is in comparison to my old Dell XPS 13 which was so extremely light I might just be biased.

Honestly it's an affordable laptop for the performance, but don't expect it to be a godsend for Linux. I regret not just giving in and buying the latest Dell XPS or Thinkpad, but being able to run all my games flawlessly on Linux is pretty nice I guess. Don't think it's a fair trade off though.

Hope I helped you make a decision!

Offline

#11 2021-08-28 04:22:41

Superadmin
Member
Registered: 2021-08-22
Posts: 44

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

insti wrote:

 




Hope I helped you make a decision!

Thanks a lot.... I am in dilemma right now XD.

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-09-01 04:34:50)

Offline

#12 2021-09-01 11:26:13

Superadmin
Member
Registered: 2021-08-22
Posts: 44

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

insti wrote:


3. Brightness works fine. You just need to add a kernel parameter amdgpu.backlight=0 and it'll work fine.

Hey !
I was curious why amd  does not do well on Arch distro
I am on my Fedora(RHEL) distro and the backlight is well supported on my system

$ ls /sys/class/backlight/
amdgpu_bl0

On the official AMD Ryzen page it is clearly mentioned that support for amd card would be only for Windows,Ubuntu,RHEL only.
1. Is this the reason why we are getting problems on display brightness on Arch linux ?
     I guess amdgpu.backlight=0 turns off amdgpu backlight option so(Please do educate me whether this turns off the amd brightness)

2. Does this has some effect on the performance on the system due to AMD only officially supporting (Win/Ubuntu/RHEL)

3. Do you know the reason why we are having trouble in completely turning off the NVIDIA gpu

4. Have you tried PRIME gpu offloading method for turning off the gpu ?
   

  • I was just curious if PRIME works on system like ours (NVIDIA/amd-igpu)

  • And even if it works does it completely turns off the Discrete-GPU

  • Does Optimus has some performance improvement over PRIME swith

   
And can I query if I could ask question on this post even after a long time?

Have a good day smile

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-09-01 12:31:22)

Offline

#13 2021-09-01 22:56:32

insti
Member
Registered: 2021-08-24
Posts: 2

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

Superadmin wrote:
insti wrote:


3. Brightness works fine. You just need to add a kernel parameter amdgpu.backlight=0 and it'll work fine.

Hey !
I was curious why amd  does not do well on Arch distro
I am on my Fedora(RHEL) distro and the backlight is well supported on my system

$ ls /sys/class/backlight/
amdgpu_bl0

On the official AMD Ryzen page it is clearly mentioned that support for amd card would be only for Windows,Ubuntu,RHEL only.
1. Is this the reason why we are getting problems on display brightness on Arch linux ?
     I guess amdgpu.backlight=0 turns off amdgpu backlight option so(Please do educate me whether this turns off the amd brightness)

2. Does this has some effect on the performance on the system due to AMD only officially supporting (Win/Ubuntu/RHEL)

3. Do you know the reason why we are having trouble in completely turning off the NVIDIA gpu

4. Have you tried PRIME gpu offloading method for turning off the gpu ?
   

  • I was just curious if PRIME works on system like ours (NVIDIA/amd-igpu)

  • And even if it works does it completely turns off the Discrete-GPU

  • Does Optimus has some performance improvement over PRIME swith

   
And can I query if I could ask question on this post even after a long time?

Have a good day smile

1. Did you actually try it? It enables backlight. I don't see what's so difficult about simply adding a kernel parameter. Works perfectly fine.

2. No.

3. No, didn't bother looking too much into it.

4. Eh don't really want to, simply because of how simple and useful optimus-manager is.

- No idea, no idea, and no.

Offline

#14 2021-09-02 07:01:38

Superadmin
Member
Registered: 2021-08-22
Posts: 44

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

insti wrote:

1. Did you actually try it? It enables backlight. I don't see what's so difficult about simply adding a kernel parameter. Works perfectly fine.

Sorry To bother again !!
As a newbie I wanted to ask What

amdgpu.backlight=0

does?
I mean the entire function of this code?
According to amdgpu.backlight=0 it seems like(according to my guess) this disables the backlighting function of amd for 0 means false in computer... smile
If it disbles the gpu's function to control the backlight
Then what is enabled that controls the backlight ?

insti wrote:

1. Did you actually try it? It enables backlight. I don't see what's so difficult about simply adding a kernel parameter. Works perfectly fine.

I will when I am going to resolve this problems and know what every thing does....
I have important works on this lenovo legion 5 so when downloading arch if I go through any issues I bet I can't solve it so
I am trying to find all the solution to each and every problem that I encounter while installing arch

Have a nice day smile

Offline

#15 2021-09-02 07:12:44

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 13,850

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

The kernel will potentially fall back to a generic ACPI backlight handler which might be more properly implemented on this particular laptop than what amdgpu would want to do.

Offline

#16 2021-09-04 09:53:27

Superadmin
Member
Registered: 2021-08-22
Posts: 44

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

smile

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-09-05 05:07:52)

Offline

#17 2021-09-05 05:06:17

Superadmin
Member
Registered: 2021-08-22
Posts: 44

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

Finally got everything working smile

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-09-05 06:49:35)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB