You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-03 11:52:39

mass_t

Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05H, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, GeForce RTX 2060.

1) Touchpad not work fixed with 5.11.rc5.d0124.g6ee1d74-1 from Manjaro repo https://gitlab.manjaro.org/packages/core/linux511
2) `FnLock` indicator does not change after loading the kernel, but it works correctly BEFORE loading, for example, from the bios or grub.
3) If you select switchable mode for the graphics card in the BIOS and boot from AMD ATI 06: 00.0 Renoir, overwriting

/sys/class/backlight/amdgpu_bl1/brightness

does not change the display brightness. At the same time, if you select a discrete video card in the BIOS, overwriting

/sys/class/backlight/nv_backlight/brightness

changes correctly, although this does not work with the slider from the gnome. Unfortunately, in this mode, the laptop is very quickly discharged, which does not allow you to work normally on the battery.

#2 2021-02-03 11:55:17

mass_t

Re: Several problems with Lenovo Legion 5

Also, brightness work correctly only on latest Ubuntu. I test this on Arch, Manjaro and Fedora, brightness not work.

#3 2021-02-13 05:44:57

mass_t

Any ideas?

#4 2021-02-13 14:14:28

Lone_Wolf

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct - How to Post wrote:

Choose one topic per thread. Long threads are typically discouraged in the technical issue
subforums.

You start with touchpad issues, so let's make that the topic for this thread.

Have you tried https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-mainline to verify whether the fix comes from the kernel or is manjaro - specific ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2021-02-23 19:15:06

Domii21

mass_t wrote:

Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05H, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, GeForce RTX 2060..

Sorry for offtopic, but what's the battery life on Linux? Do you have 60 or 80Wh battery?
Your answer would be very useful to me smile

#6 2021-03-28 05:22:53

mass_t

Domii21 wrote:
mass_t wrote:

Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05H, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, GeForce RTX 2060..

Sorry for offtopic, but what's the battery life on Linux? Do you have 60 or 80Wh battery?
Your answer would be very useful to me smile

60Wh,  ~4 hours of work for coding in vscode + music + multiple tabs in Firefox. it would be longer if it was possible to reduce the brightness on the integrated video card sad

Last edited by mass_t (2021-06-07 07:47:54)

#7 2021-03-28 05:23:23

mass_t

Lone_Wolf wrote:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct - How to Post wrote:

Choose one topic per thread. Long threads are typically discouraged in the technical issue
subforums.

You start with touchpad issues, so let's make that the topic for this thread.

Have you tried https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-mainline to verify whether the fix comes from the kernel or is manjaro - specific ?

Now touchpad is work fine.

#8 2021-06-17 13:07:26

x1unix

I was able to get backlight working, but I'm using only integrated amd video.
The similar method might also work for nvidia graphics, just use other backlight class.

Here is a quick brief: https://gist.github.com/x1unix/67c154d4 … 9acceff635

Last edited by x1unix (2021-06-17 13:08:27)

#9 2021-08-23 02:17:26

Superadmin

From The Newbie Corner
Guys
Was your issue resolved?
I am also thinking of installing Arch on my main daily driver
I rock the same specs as yours and am running fedora right now
But there are some issues that I want fixed
Like FnLock Indicator does not work on my machine
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there any option for prime switch for GPU
If yes will there be any sort of issues?
Like mentioned above brightness does not work

If any of the above mentioned issues were resolved of yours
Then do let me know what did you do to resolve that

And also can you tell me how is the battery life
Windows used to run for more than 5 hours
Fedora runs with less than 2 hours
What about Arch Linux?
I have 1660 Ti on my laptop
& Do you use any battery life extension software or program like TLP or Powertop ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there any issues that you would like to point out ?
Major or Minor please list them all...

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-08-23 03:06:05)

#10 2021-08-24 16:26:29

insti

Superadmin wrote:

From The Newbie Corner
Guys
Was your issue resolved?
I am also thinking of installing Arch on my main daily driver
I rock the same specs as yours and am running fedora right now
But there are some issues that I want fixed
Like FnLock Indicator does not work on my machine
Is there any option for prime switch for GPU
If yes will there be any sort of issues?
Like mentioned above brightness does not work

If any of the above mentioned issues were resolved of yours
Then do let me know what did you do to resolve that

And also can you tell me how is the battery life
Windows used to run for more than 5 hours
Fedora runs with less than 2 hours
What about Arch Linux?
I have 1660 Ti on my laptop
& Do you use any battery life extension software or program like TLP or Powertop ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there any issues that you would like to point out ?
Major or Minor please list them all...

Hey, so I've been daily running Arch on this machine for the past couple weeks and this is what I can tell you:

1. I don't use an FnLock Indicator, I just simply use Fn keys so I can't comment regarding this.
2. I'm using optimus-manager and it works fine for launching specific games on Nvidia, but I wasn't able to get the Nvidia GPU to turn off. It always runs in hybrid mode. Thankfully the GPU does go to a low power state when not in use so it doesn't sip as much power as you think.
3. Brightness works fine. You just need to add a kernel parameter amdgpu.backlight=0 and it'll work fine.
4. Battery life is... not good. I never really used Windows on it so I can't comment, but on Linux I am getting around 2.5 hours with normal usage (browsing the web, listening to music, watching videos, programming). I do have TLP and autosuspend installed. Thanks to autosuspend battery sipping when lid is closed isn't all that much (I left it overnight from 100% and when I woke up it was 70%). I tried installing Powertop but it would keep crashing my system so I didn't bother.
5. I guess for major issues I would say battery life and the fact that I can't seem to get the Nvidia GPU to turn off (I tried bbswitch and ACPI, no dutch). Also if you have the RGB keyboard version, when TLP turns off the keyboard and when you turn it back on it forgets the colour presets. In order to change the colour presets for the RGB keyboard since there still isn't an OpenRGB driver for it you need to boot into Windows in order to change it. I also heard that the HDMI port didn't work until now but since the latest Nvidia drivers support Reverse PRIME it should be configurable to work. I didn't test it so I can't confirm this. I also think the laptop is quite heavy but that is in comparison to my old Dell XPS 13 which was so extremely light I might just be biased.

Honestly it's an affordable laptop for the performance, but don't expect it to be a godsend for Linux. I regret not just giving in and buying the latest Dell XPS or Thinkpad, but being able to run all my games flawlessly on Linux is pretty nice I guess. Don't think it's a fair trade off though.

Hope I helped you make a decision!

#11 2021-08-28 04:22:41

Superadmin

insti wrote:

Hope I helped you make a decision!

Thanks a lot.... I am in dilemma right now.

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-11-08 04:05:42)

#12 2021-09-01 11:26:13

Superadmin

insti wrote:

3. Brightness works fine. You just need to add a kernel parameter amdgpu.backlight=0 and it'll work fine.

Hey !
I was curious why amd  does not do well on Arch distro
I am on my Fedora(RHEL) distro and the backlight is well supported on my system

$ ls /sys/class/backlight/
amdgpu_bl0

On the official AMD Ryzen page it is clearly mentioned that support for amd card would be only for Windows,Ubuntu,RHEL only.
1. Is this the reason why we are getting problems on display brightness on Arch linux ?
     I guess amdgpu.backlight=0 turns off amdgpu backlight option so(Please do educate me whether this turns off the amd brightness)

2. Does this has some effect on the performance on the system due to AMD only officially supporting (Win/Ubuntu/RHEL)

3. Do you know the reason why we are having trouble in completely turning off the NVIDIA gpu

4. Have you tried PRIME gpu offloading method for turning off the gpu ?

• I was just curious if PRIME works on system like ours (NVIDIA/amd-igpu)

• And even if it works does it completely turns off the Discrete-GPU

• Does Optimus has some performance improvement over PRIME swith

And can I query if I could ask question on this post even after a long time?

Have a good day smile

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-09-01 12:31:22)

#13 2021-09-01 22:56:32

insti

Superadmin wrote:
insti wrote:

Hey !
I was curious why amd  does not do well on Arch distro
I am on my Fedora(RHEL) distro and the backlight is well supported on my system

$ ls /sys/class/backlight/
amdgpu_bl0

On the official AMD Ryzen page it is clearly mentioned that support for amd card would be only for Windows,Ubuntu,RHEL only.
1. Is this the reason why we are getting problems on display brightness on Arch linux ?
     I guess amdgpu.backlight=0 turns off amdgpu backlight option so(Please do educate me whether this turns off the amd brightness)

2. Does this has some effect on the performance on the system due to AMD only officially supporting (Win/Ubuntu/RHEL)

3. Do you know the reason why we are having trouble in completely turning off the NVIDIA gpu

4. Have you tried PRIME gpu offloading method for turning off the gpu ?

• I was just curious if PRIME works on system like ours (NVIDIA/amd-igpu)

• And even if it works does it completely turns off the Discrete-GPU

• Does Optimus has some performance improvement over PRIME swith

And can I query if I could ask question on this post even after a long time?

Have a good day smile

1. Did you actually try it? It enables backlight. I don't see what's so difficult about simply adding a kernel parameter. Works perfectly fine.

2. No.

3. No, didn't bother looking too much into it.

4. Eh don't really want to, simply because of how simple and useful optimus-manager is.

- No idea, no idea, and no.

#14 2021-09-02 07:01:38

Superadmin

insti wrote:

1. Did you actually try it? It enables backlight. I don't see what's so difficult about simply adding a kernel parameter. Works perfectly fine.

Sorry To bother again !!

insti wrote:

I will when I am going to resolve this problems and know what every thing does....
I have important works on this lenovo legion 5 so when downloading arch if I go through any issues I bet I can't solve it so
I am trying to find all the solution to each and every problem that I encounter while installing arch

Have a nice day smile

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-11-08 04:04:11)

#15 2021-09-02 07:12:44

V1del
Forum Moderator

The kernel will potentially fall back to a generic ACPI backlight handler which might be more properly implemented on this particular laptop than what amdgpu would want to do.

#16 2021-09-04 09:53:27

Superadmin

smile

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-09-05 05:07:52)

#17 2021-09-05 05:06:17

Superadmin

Finally got everything working smile

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-09-05 06:49:35)

#18 2021-10-19 23:31:27

andyturfer

I just bought the Legion 5 (AMD 4800H, Nvidia 1660ti) and installed Arch with KDE Plasma. Installation was fairly straight forward (had to "rfkill unblock all" to turn on wlan0), and just about everything works. The only things I cannot do:

1. Completely power down the Nvidia GPU.

2. Set the screen to 60Hz (only option that works is 144Hz).

I'm using optimus-manager with switching method set to ACPI Call. When set to hybrid power consumption when idle is around 12W. If set to Integrated or Nvidia power consumption is around 30W.

On my other Linux laptops I always install bbswitch and set that as the switching method in optimus-manager, but I guess something is different with the Legion 5 - I'm not able to load bbswtich after installing it. When I run:

sudo modprobe bbswitch

I get:

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'bbswitch': No such device

and this shows up in journalctl:

Oct 20 00:14:12 legion5 kernel: bbswitch: version 0.8
Oct 20 00:14:12 legion5 kernel: bbswitch: Found discrete VGA device 0000:01:00.0: \_SB_.PCI0.GPP0.PEGP
Oct 20 00:14:12 legion5 kernel: bbswitch: Found discrete VGA device 0000:05:00.0: \_SB_.PCI0.GP17.VGA_
Oct 20 00:14:12 legion5 kernel: bbswitch: failed to evaluate \_SB_.PCI0.GP17.VGA_._DSM {0xF8,0xD8,0x86,0xA4,0xDA,0x0B,0x1B,0x47,0xA7,0x2B,0x60,0x42,0xA6,0xB5,0xBE,0xE0} 0x100 0x0 {0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00}: AE_NOT_FOUND
Oct 20 00:14:12 legion5 kernel: bbswitch: failed to evaluate \_SB_.PCI0.GP17.VGA_._DSM {0xA0,0xA0,0x95,0x9D,0x60,0x00,0x48,0x4D,0xB3,0x4D,0x7E,0x5F,0xEA,0x12,0x9F,0xD4} 0x102 0x0 {0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00}: AE_NOT_FOUND
Oct 20 00:14:12 legion5 kernel: bbswitch: No suitable _DSM call found.

Would love to see how long the battery lasts on the Legion 5 (Ryzen 7 4800H) with the discrete Nvidia GPU completely powered down. I'm already getting around 6 hours (light use) in hybrid mode (I have the 80W battery). I think 8 hours would probably be achievable (light usage - browsing simple pages, terminal, file manager etc), even more if the panel could be switched to 60Hz (although 144Hz looks awesome!).

If anyone figures out how to power down the Nvidia GPU on the Legion 5, please share smile I'll keep trying...

#19 2021-11-08 03:53:57

Superadmin

andyturfer wrote:

I just bought the Legion 5 (AMD 4800H, Nvidia 1660ti) and installed Arch with KDE Plasma. Installation was fairly straight forward (had to "rfkill unblock all" to turn on wlan0), and just about everything works. The only things I cannot do:

1. Completely power down the Nvidia GPU.

2. Set the screen to 60Hz (only option that works is 144Hz).

Hi !!
Nice to meet you

1. I am worried that Nvidia GPU cannot be completely turned off if you have an AMD configuration. If you had a INTEL cpu then things would have been really easy
    I co-incidentally share the exact same spec computer as yours and yes I too had to rfkill unblock all to get wlan working during installation. And I don't recommend other graphics card manager than NVIDIA Optimus. It just works well. Additionally Bumblebee has software implementation of disabling the dedicated GPU which simply can't be done in Amd chip in linux for now(For now because 5800H cpu has now the only configuration for fully powering down Nvidia GPU, lets see what the future holds and majority of us don't have latest 5th series Amd mobile cpu)
    If you want extra hours then I suggest to take a look into different techniques like Autocpu-freq, tlp etc. TLP didn't worked in mine(computer doesn't boot up) so I just have AutoCpu-Freq installed...

2. Sorry !! The monitor that we both had don't support 60 Hz refresh rate..... If you force it to do it you will be running in a great trouble. It only supports 144 Hz. Might be 120Hz option would have a different story

Hope that answers your concerns

Have a Great Day smile

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-11-09 05:36:28)

#20 2021-11-08 07:11:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I'm in the Legion 5 Pro but I think some things should be similar. For example I do get about 15W total consumption when in hybrid mode, and the nvidia card does turn to the lowest power mode (not off). I think that's the best that can be done. Also because all the external ports are wired to the nvidia, if you have to use a projector or external monitor you can't really get consumption below 30W.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#21 2021-11-09 05:24:44

Superadmin

ngoonee wrote:

I do get about 15W total consumption when in hybrid mode, and the nvidia card does turn to the lowest power mode (not off). I think that's the best that can be done. Also because all the external ports are wired to the nvidia, if you have to use a projector or external monitor you can't really get consumption below 30W.

Hi ngoonee !!

It may be dependent on "What Nvidia card you are using?" I guess..... I have 1660 ti. Your may be 30 series or 20 series. A friend of mine has a card that draws only 2 watt of power but amazing thing is: He has 20 series graphics card. So I based on my observation think that different Nvidia card has different behaviour of power consumption. If you had bought Pro series with 5800H then You would have been able to fully power down GPU. More info here

Have a great day smile

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-11-09 05:40:08)

#22 2021-11-10 04:32:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Superadmin wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

I do get about 15W total consumption when in hybrid mode, and the nvidia card does turn to the lowest power mode (not off). I think that's the best that can be done. Also because all the external ports are wired to the nvidia, if you have to use a projector or external monitor you can't really get consumption below 30W.

Hi ngoonee !!

It may be dependent on "What Nvidia card you are using?" I guess..... I have 1660 ti. Your may be 30 series or 20 series. A friend of mine has a card that draws only 2 watt of power but amazing thing is: He has 20 series graphics card. So I based on my observation think that different Nvidia card has different behaviour of power consumption. If you had bought Pro series with 5800H then You would have been able to fully power down GPU. More info here

Have a great day smile

Ah yes that makes sense, as the linux drivers only really support proper power saving in the later cards (including my 3070). Do not know exactly which generation has/doesn't have support, but I'd be surprised if 20 series and 16 series differ, as they are both the same (time wise) generation. I think 16 actually came out after 20?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#23 2021-12-13 04:31:41

Superadmin

mass_t wrote:

Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05H, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H.

2) `FnLock` indicator does not change after loading the kernel, but it works correctly BEFORE loading, for example, from the bios or grub.

Guys... Does your fnlock indicator work right now?

I was fiddling with grub in /etc/defaults/grub and now my fnlock is working just fine as in windows.
Or may be it might be kernel update or something affiliated that got the fnlock to work correctly.
Do let me know if the initial problems with Lenovo Legion 5  15ARH05H got fixed?

For me everything is working fine
1.Yeah ! touchpad was a issue before in the kernel version 5.10 or something relative
2. Fn lock Indicator is working just fine now to my surpirse.
3. Brightness is working well you just have to tweak the grub setting.
4. I just wish linux had a better battery life. I have auto-cpu freq and tlp for little extension.

Have a great day smile

Last edited by Superadmin (2021-12-13 04:51:48)

#24 2022-01-14 16:50:02

ankit

Any luck running hdmi display while in integrated mode from bios? I am detecting hdmi out but not being able to use it. Here is my post about it and answer I got is to read nvidia optimus and prime render offload. I can use Nvidia to run certain programs using primus-run <Application> but cant get the other display to work.

#25 2022-01-15 22:28:58

andyturfer

ankit wrote:

Any luck running hdmi display while in integrated mode from bios? I am detecting hdmi out but not being able to use it.

It's impossible to use the HDMI ports (or any video output ports) when the Nvidia GPU is powered down, because the video output ports are hard-wired to the Nvidia GPU. With optimus manager installed, you can use an external monitor when you switch to hybrid mode (with Switchable Graphics selected in the BIOS).

I have figured out how to completely power down the Nvidia GPU, which gives me an amazing 8 hours of battery life. The Ryzen 7 4800H throttles itself quite heavily while not plugged in, but this doesn't bother me as I'm not after high performance when on battery.

I'm using Optimus, but switching between the dGPU and iGPU is very cumbersome. This is possibly because  I was just "guessing" and trying different combinations to get it working (i.e. I wasn't really sure what I was doing).

This is my Optimus setup:

• Make sure the BIOS is set to Switchable Graphics

• Installed optimus-manager and optimus-maanger-qt (I'm using KDE)

• In the Optimus section:

• Set Switching Method to None

• Set PCI Reset to Function Level

• Tick the PCI Power Control checkbox.

• Tick the PCI Remove checkbox.

• Tick the Automatic Logout checkbox.

• Set Start-up Mode to Integrated.

When on idle, the laptop uses around 7W. During light usage (browser, terminal, watching videos), consumption is around 12W.

I can switch to Hybrid mode, and this enabled me to use an external monitor, but things are quite "juddery" (like animations or dragging windows aroud). I suspect this is because my external monitor is only a 60Hz monitor. But it works well enough when working in IDEs and watching YouTube videos. In hybrid mode, power consumption jumps  to around 12W idle, and around 17W light usage.

Unfortunately,  switching to Nvidia mode doesn't really work well (no idea why). If I want/need to switch to Nvidia mode, I have to go through the reverse process of everything above (i.e. I have to uninstall the optimus packages, then copy a valid xorg.conf file to /etc/X11, then reboot and go in to the BIOS, then set the graphics mode to Discrete Graphics. It's annoying I can't do this from the optimus manager, but as mentioned above, perhaps it's because I just haven't set it up correctly (but at least I have a way of doing it if/when I need to).

I have noticed that sometimes after rebooting (perhaps 1 in 20 reboots), then touchpad doesn't work, and sometimes the WiFi is turned off.

Regardless of the above issues, I'm still using the Legion 5 as my daily driver, and have been very satisfied with it. I have also become addicted to the smoothness of the 144Hz screen smile I seriously don't think I could go back to a 60Hz display.

Last edited by andyturfer (2022-01-15 22:34:40)

Board footer