You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-16 22:51:17

kiprasmel

[SOLVED] check_network_status.txt page is down, cannot report bug

at around 21:42 - 21:54 UTC+0 today (2021-02-17), network manager kicked me off (networking was disabled).

I searched for "arch linux networking disabled" and found this thread [1], which explained to restart NetworkManager via systemctl, and also edit the `/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf` file to add `interval=0` or `interval=99999999` and then restart NetworkManager. This helped.

I wanted to report that the page which is responsible for providing this validation, [2], is currently returning a 404 error. I searched and found a suggestion [3] to move the `check_network_status.txt` file to a subdomain. I wanted to bump the issue / provide extra details, so I tried registering to arch linux's gitlab, but the "register" link redirected me to [4], which is a login page, not a registering one. I was able to guess that the intended registering page was [5], so I registered there. But then I tried logging in, and it still failed -- the login page [4] only allows signing in via "Arch Linux SSO", and I have no idea where I can register for it.

I'd like to bring attention to these issues:
1) fix the `check_network_status.txt` page (currently returns 404),
2) bring attention to the suggestion [3], and
3) allow new users to register/login to the arch linux gitlab or fix the flow / provide more info so that new users do not get lost and are able to register and sign in.

[1] post which fixed things for me: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1705243
[2] network page responsible for confirming status: http://archlinux.org/check_network_status.txt
[3] check_network_status.txt suggestion: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … issues/239
[4] login instead of register page: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/users/sign … ister-pane
[5] intended register page: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/users/sign_up

Last edited by kiprasmel (2021-02-20 23:00:47)

#2 2021-02-16 22:55:03

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] check_network_status.txt page is down, cannot report bug

Welcome to the boards.

That the page doesn't exist and returns 404 is intended and normal, as long as it returns "something" the connectivity check works.

gitlab integrations are work in progress, as far as I know the canonical place to report bugs is still bugs.archlinux.org

But again, this isn't a bug and networkmanager wouldn't "kick you off" just because that check fails, it would at most show a "not connected" indicator in the bar. The issue you linked to was indeed that this was persisting for a extended period of time, because the service was actually down but if this was a one off issue in your case I'd be more inclined for this being an actual real networking issue on your side that it informed you about.

But from the perspective of what the issue talks about it's technically still valid, but it's not that huge of a deal and unlikely to be responsible for whatever your issue was.

Last edited by V1del (2021-02-16 23:00:58)

#3 2021-02-16 23:01:21

kiprasmel

Hello, thank you.

Hm, strange. Well, I don't know how else to describe what happened, other than the wifi suddently disappeared, network manager did not show/allow selecting to connect to another network + said "networking is disabled", and I was offline. The directions given at resource [1] fixed the issue, so I assumed that the page being down is indeed the problem.

The gitlab page I just happened to find with a search result. Using bugs.archlinux.org is fine, I just wasn't aware and got frustrated thus posted here.

Anything else we could do here? Debug why the situation happened with network manager, or just close?

#4 2021-02-16 23:01:26

Scimmia
Fellow

You're getting a 404 because archlinux.org uses HSTS, so you can't reach it with anything, including browsers, that respect that. It's a red herring.

#5 2021-02-16 23:14:33

kiprasmel

That's fair, I just assumed it was the cause of my problem. If it is not, I suppose there shall be a different cause, and I'm now curious if we are going to explore it or not.

Last edited by kiprasmel (2021-02-16 23:19:00)

#6 2021-02-17 00:41:42

V1del
Forum Moderator

That depends on you, you can check the journal logs during that time. I'd assume it's safer to say it was an anomaly on your system, so whether you want to check that and want feedback you can pick it up again, otherwise if you feel the question to be sufficiently answered you can mark the topic as [SOLVED] by editing the title in your first post.

#7 2021-02-20 23:00:05

kiprasmel

Well, unless it happens again to me (or to someone else), I'll assume it was an anomaly. Thanks!

Board footer