You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-23 05:19:08

Padsworth

How to set up old Home partition as a multi-media partitian?

About to undertake the installation process, but want to make sure I have everything ironed out before I begin.
I'm switching from another linux distro, and basically I want to be able to preserve my old home partition as a place to store multi-media. This old home is a separate partition from my root, which is of course wonderful. I have a sizable amount of mp3's, videos, documents, steam games, etc stored on there and basically I want to not have to move any of that. I currently have a bunch of free space already on my hard-drive, and i could easily shrink the size of the old home to provide more.

My main thing here is how am I going to go about ensuring I can access those files after installation?
My old root partition is buggered so that will be wiped, but how big should I make my new home partition if I will be doing most my storage on this old media partition?

Technical details if needed: The entire hard drive is 1.82 Tib, with this old home being 1.57 Tib. There is  185.84 Gib of free space after the old home.

Any help would be appreciated!

Take Care of Your Shoes
Dots

#2 2021-02-23 05:22:00

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: How to set up old Home partition as a multi-media partitian?

Padsworth wrote:

how big should I make my new home partition if I will be doing most my storage on this old media partition?

Who knows? Put in on LVM and change it as you need.

See also bottom bullet point: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2021-02-23 05:33:50

Padsworth

Re: How to set up old Home partition as a multi-media partitian?

Damn you kinda right.... Alright we just gonna dive in then, I'll iron that problem out when I get there I guess.

Take Care of Your Shoes
Dots

Board footer