You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-13 21:32:50

Cvlc

[solved] Dracut for fresh install

Hi,

I once managed to install Dracut on an already installed and configured version of Arch, but I'm running into all kinds of problems when trying to install a fresh Arch linux with Dracut instead of mkinitcpio

Could someone please point me to the right order of doing things to achieve this ?

I'm having trouble understanding how to create the vmlinuz-linux file (since dracut only produces the initramfs).

About the boot-loader, the wiki says the microcode is included in Dracut images, and that supplying root= is unnecessary. So what kernel commands are needed to boot exactly (ie for a Luks / btrfs setup) ?

Thanks for your help !

Last edited by Cvlc (2021-04-17 09:20:25)

#2 2021-04-15 17:40:35

GaKu999

Re: [solved] Dracut for fresh install

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#3 2021-04-16 11:05:01

Cvlc

Thanks for your help...

I guess I wasn't specific enough. I am looking for a nice and clean way to install a fresh Arch linux, straight with Dracut, without using mkinitcpio at all. Once Arch is installed, I already know how to make the switch to dracut.

I tried generating the initramfs once chrooted to /mnt during the install process, but Dracut complains about kernel versions.

I can finish the install by adding necessary hooks to mkinitcpio, regenerating, rebooting, and then installing dracut and removing mkinitcpio, but I am sure there's a nicer way to do it....

#4 2021-04-17 01:47:04

GaKu999

Then you'll need to add more cmdline params to dracut when you run it, live --kver and things like that, using it automagically is troublesome when you are in your first install because it will derp.

After that as per the wiki, setup the dracut-hook, either the one on the AUR or do your own.

man dracut should be a good read.

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#5 2021-04-17 09:19:12

Cvlc

It would be nice to have a pacstrap switch like ---dracut to choose between dracut and mkinitcpio during install...
If there's no nicer way i'll just switch to it after install then

Thanks

Board footer