You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-13 21:32:50

Cvlc

[solved] Dracut for fresh install

Hi,

I once managed to install Dracut on an already installed and configured version of Arch, but I'm running into all kinds of problems when trying to install a fresh Arch linux with Dracut instead of mkinitcpio

Could someone please point me to the right order of doing things to achieve this ?

I'm having trouble understanding how to create the vmlinuz-linux file (since dracut only produces the initramfs).

About the boot-loader, the wiki says the microcode is included in Dracut images, and that supplying root= is unnecessary. So what kernel commands are needed to boot exactly (ie for a Luks / btrfs setup) ?

Thanks for your help !

Last edited by Cvlc (2021-04-17 09:20:25)

#2 2021-04-15 17:40:35

GaKu999

Re: [solved] Dracut for fresh install

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#3 2021-04-16 11:05:01

Cvlc

Thanks for your help...

I guess I wasn't specific enough. I am looking for a nice and clean way to install a fresh Arch linux, straight with Dracut, without using mkinitcpio at all. Once Arch is installed, I already know how to make the switch to dracut.

I tried generating the initramfs once chrooted to /mnt during the install process, but Dracut complains about kernel versions.

I can finish the install by adding necessary hooks to mkinitcpio, regenerating, rebooting, and then installing dracut and removing mkinitcpio, but I am sure there's a nicer way to do it....

#4 2021-04-17 01:47:04

GaKu999

Then you'll need to add more cmdline params to dracut when you run it, live --kver and things like that, using it automagically is troublesome when you are in your first install because it will derp.

After that as per the wiki, setup the dracut-hook, either the one on the AUR or do your own.

man dracut should be a good read.

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#5 2021-04-17 09:19:12

Cvlc

It would be nice to have a pacstrap switch like ---dracut to choose between dracut and mkinitcpio during install...
If there's no nicer way i'll just switch to it after install then

Thanks

#6 2022-06-22 21:40:10

Cvlc

Digging this up as I've found the answer to this last question, one year late tongue

for anyone looking at this, including dracut in the pacstrap step of the Installation guide fulfills the "initramfs" dependency required by "linux", and thus mkinitcpio is not installed at all... running eg # dracut -f --uefi --regenerate-all then provides a working unified kernel image

Board footer