You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-21 18:18:52

tonyB

why does pacman -S htop work fine when I have no ethernet and no wifi

Completed a basic uefi install onto an Acer Aspire TC-780 desktop with no apparent problems.  Sat down today to update to latest system.  That failed because I forgot to plugin my ethernet, so I plugged it in, and pacman -Syu worked fine.  Then I tried to run reflector and it failed  with a connection refused error.  (I've been trying to figure out why this is happening.)   nmcli device shows I have an ethernet connection and no wifi connection.  So I unplugged the ethernet cable, and nmcli shows I have neither ethernet nor wifi.  But just as a test, I enter: sudo pacman -S htop, and it runs as expected.  (1) can someone explain to me where it is getting Internet access?  And if anyone knows why reflector stopped working for me (it worked fine during arch install), I would be doubly grateful.

Thanks,
tony

#2 2021-07-21 18:28:04

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: why does pacman -S htop work fine when I have no ethernet and no wifi

`pacman -S` would not have worked without an internet connection: the output would have shown that.

As to what else is going on, without logs, it is impossible to say. Try debugging your connectivity and produce meaningful output: see How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2021-07-21 18:32:01

Docbroke

1) I guess two possible reasons for pacman -S htop to work, one is you may have htop in cache (/var/cache/pacman/pkg/), or two, you have another application managing wireless network (wpa_supplicant/netctl etc.)
2) I don't know much about reflector so I have nothing to say there.

#4 2021-07-21 20:59:36

tonyB

Good point.  I tried a different package, and it looks like it is going to install but fails trying to actually contact the mirrors.  I should have thought of that.

Thanks for your help.

tony

Board footer