You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-15 19:42:05

test1000

New PKGBUILD help section

I hope I have been clear enough about it's purpose and that there currently isn't such a section in the wiki. This page is not for help with using makepkg or how PKGBUILD's work but to help package makers in situations they encounter.(maybe that should be added to the wiki =P)

Put shortly, I started this because such a page would have saved me lots of time when i started out pkgbuilding and it will save me time in the future to have a place like this to check when common problems occur.

The page is at:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD_help

hope people contribute smile

PS: If you know of other such sites(gentoo,debian...) then maybe we should add them to the bottom as links aswell.

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#2 2006-11-15 20:12:56

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: New PKGBUILD help section

This is a great idea. However, please correctly categorize new pages: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … egory_Tree

Also, there are some documents floating around the wiki on how to build packages from subversion and CVS and my guidelines on building Java packages. These should all be linked from this page too.

Dusty

#3 2006-11-15 21:27:19

foxbunny
Website

test1000 wrote:

I hope I have been clear enough about it's purpose and that there currently isn't such a section in the wiki. This page is not for help with using makepkg or how PKGBUILD's work but to help package makers in situations they encounter.(maybe that should be added to the wiki =P)

Put shortly, I started this because such a page would have saved me lots of time when i started out pkgbuilding and it will save me time in the future to have a place like this to check when common problems occur.

The page is at:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD_help

hope people contribute smile

PS: If you know of other such sites(gentoo,debian...) then maybe we should add them to the bottom as links aswell.

Thanks. I will add a [PKGBUILD] subsection under [Arch development] if you agree.

EDIT:

Ah, I see you meant a PAGE not a SECTION... smile I have categorized it under [Arch Development (English)] and [Package management (English)]].

May I rename your page to "PKGBUILD troubleshooting" or something like that (to make it more specific)?

It might be better to use wiki markup instead of HTML. There is a "ArchWiki Tutorial" to guide you through the wiki editing. Also, take a look at:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cat … English%29

#4 2006-11-15 21:28:25

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Call it [Package development] instead.

Dusty

#5 2006-11-15 21:33:17

test1000

i agree.

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#6 2006-11-15 21:40:33

foxbunny
Website

Dusty wrote:

Call it [Package development] instead.

Dusty

Woud that be under Arch Development, or another root category?

#7 2006-11-15 21:47:22

test1000

Should it not be somewhere under System Administration?

#8 2006-11-15 21:56:42

foxbunny
Website

test1000 wrote:

Should it not be somewhere under System Administration?

Err... Why? [Arch development] is dedicated to developers that work on Arch and Arch packages...

Anyway, please take a look at the category tree Dusty pointed out. You can also visit the page below and browse around categories:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cat … d_by_topic

#9 2006-11-15 22:07:28

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I'd put it under arch development. Where do you have the CVS, SVN, and Java PKGBUILD's I mentioned? They're in that wiki somewhere... treasure hunt!!

Dusty

#10 2006-11-15 22:09:08

foxbunny
Website

Dusty wrote:

I'd put it under arch development.

Done!

#11 2006-11-15 23:06:36

test1000

-- Err... Why? [Arch development] is dedicated to developers that work on Arch and Arch packages...

As long as people find it... smile i'm too tired to do the category dance now smile remember KISS though people, and no i'm not necessarily saying it doesn't apply in this case.

thanks for all your help foxbunny and whosoever helps out

#12 2006-11-16 10:52:51

foxbunny
Website

test1000 wrote:

-- Err... Why? [Arch development] is dedicated to developers that work on Arch and Arch packages...

As long as people find it... smile i'm too tired to do the category dance now smile remember KISS though people, and no i'm not necessarily saying it doesn't apply in this case.

thanks for all your help foxbunny and whosoever helps out

If you have any suggestion as to KISSifying the category tree (which is quite complex at the moment) please PM me or Dusty.

Board footer