You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-18 20:11:43

walkingstickfan

[SOLVED] Debian Install Results in Arch Not Booting

I attempted to install Debian 11 (Bullseye) today using the Debian Network installer on my laptop which already had Arch installed. Debian boots fine, but when I try to use any of the entries for Arch under the GRUB menu, Arch no longer boots.

I have a MBR environment on the laptop. Arch Linux is installed on sda1 and Debian is installed on sda2.

When the Debian Network Installer asked where to install GRUB, I specified sda.

I've searched the Arch forums and the Arch Wiki and I've not found anything that was helpful/useful.

Did I do something wrong? Based on what little I did come across in the forums, Debian and Arch Linux should work together in a multi-boot environment.

Last edited by walkingstickfan (2021-10-23 07:37:44)

Arch Linux with Openbox & Tint2

#2 2021-10-18 20:16:08

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Debian Install Results in Arch Not Booting

You shouldn't have installed grub; just used the existing Arch one: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB#GNU/Linux

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2021-10-18 20:33:59

Slithery
Administrator

jasonwryan wrote:

You shouldn't have installed grub; just used the existing Arch one: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB#GNU/Linux

I disagree. What the OP should do is configure Debian's grub to add a correct entry for Arch.
Debian names its kernels including the version number so if the Arch grub was used then manual intervention would be needed every time there was a Debian kernel update. Arch kernels always keep the same name no matter what version so it's far less hassle to simply have a static entry for Arch and let Debian take care of its own grub entries when it's updated.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2021-10-18 20:50:57

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Slithery wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

I disagree. What the OP should do is configure Debian's grub to add a correct entry for Arch.
Debian names its kernels including the version number so if the Arch grub was used then manual intervention would be needed every time there was a Debian kernel update. Arch kernels always keep the same name no matter what version so it's far less hassle to simply have a static entry for Arch and let Debian take care of its own grub entries when it's updated.

Good point. I'd overlooked the fact that Debian keeps multiple kernels around, each with a different name.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2021-10-18 21:57:58

walkingstickfan

Slithery wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

Thank you for chiming in. As for adding a correct entry for Arch, is this an example of a correct entry?

#6 2021-10-23 07:37:16

walkingstickfan

Face plant...I was wrong. Arch does boot. There's about a minute or so delay though. What a rabbit hole I went down. I did learn a little bit about how the 40_custom file for GRUB works though.

Board footer