You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-19 20:43:18

F

Pimp My Network

Hey guys, everything works almost perfectly with my network, but its a bit bizarre and I was wondering if you guys could help me out and straighten my network layout a bit. Any suggestion is welcome!

Currently my setup is as follows:

Internet ---> Router 1 w/ Wifi ---> Computer A (wirelessly) + Computer B

Router 1 ---> Router 2 --> Computer C + Computer D.

My main computer I use is Computer C and Computer D (located in my room). I can ping Router 1 (but not Router 2, for some odd reason) and I can ping Computer A, but not Computer B. Computer C and D can ping each other.

Computer B, at one point, could ping/access Router 2, how I don't know, but it did. Now it can't and I don't know why, but it really doesn't matter.

Any hardware recommendations (substituting a switch for a router, or a hub, etc. etc.) are welcome.

Whenever I have network troubles its such a pain to fix, so, I'm asking you guys to help me out to figure out the simplest setup possible. Thanks!

#2 2006-11-19 20:48:21

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Pimp My Network

i cant figure out what you have going from your ascii diagram.
maybe if you generated something with dia we could get a better idea of what is happening..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2006-11-19 22:20:29

tomk
Forum Fellow

What cactus said - although based solely on the minimal outline above, my first though would be to dump router2 and connect all boxes to router 1, using a switch if necessary.

#4 2006-11-19 22:28:47

harlekin

As far as I understand your diagram, I could imagine that the computer between the computer you want to ping and your machine the ping comes from is either blocking or not correctly forwarding the command.

And my recommendation as well is to do it like this:

______ Computer A
                  /   _________ Computer C
                 /  /
Internet ----- Router
                   ______ Computer D
                 ____________ Computer B

Hail to the thief!

#5 2006-11-19 23:41:53

F

harlekin wrote:

As far as I understand your diagram, I could imagine that the computer between the computer you want to ping and your machine the ping comes from is either blocking or not correctly forwarding the command.

And my recommendation as well is to do it like this:

______ Computer A
                  /   _________ Computer C
                 /  /
Internet ----- Router
                   ______ Computer D
                 ____________ Computer B

Hey, thanks for all the replies. Sorry about my daigram. I only have one Cat5 outlet in each room and the computer i'm in has two computers in it, would this be a more reasonable layout?  Thanks for all your input.

______ Computer A
                  /   _________ Computer B
                 /  /
Internet ----- Router
                   ______ Switch
                         _____Computer C
                        ______Computer D  

Currently, where that switch is, is where my Router 2 is.

#6 2006-11-20 04:16:01

RobF

F wrote:

Hey, thanks for all the replies. Sorry about my daigram. I only have one Cat5 outlet in each room and the computer i'm in has two computers in it, would this be a more reasonable layout?  Thanks for all your input.

______ Computer A
                  /   _________ Computer B
                 /  /
Internet ----- Router
                   ______ Switch
                         _____Computer C
                        ______Computer D  

Currently, where that switch is, is where my Router 2 is.

That's exactly the layout of the LAN I'm on.  For a switch I'd recommend the D-Link DSS-5+ 5-port 10/100Mbps switch or the equivalent from Linksys or Netgear.  I got it for $7 from Newegg (sale + manuf. rebate).  Works well.

Robert

Board footer