You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-24 22:02:19

tleydxdy

icu update issue

It seems like everytime icu updates there is always some package (from the official repo) that was not correctly rebuilt on the new icu, and this would cause those software to be broken until the new build is updated.

This seems like a pretty broken situation. Is there any process currently in place to try and prevent these types of breakage? why aren't those packages pining their icu version so pacman would know updating would leave the system broken?

#2 2021-11-24 22:13:42

Slithery
Forum Moderator

Re: icu update issue

Examples please? I don't recall this ever happening.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2021-11-25 07:40:02

arojas
Developer

tleydxdy wrote:

It seems like everytime icu updates there is always some package (from the official repo) that was not correctly rebuilt on the new icu, and this would cause those software to be broken until the new build is updated.

This is simply false. If you search for 'icu' on the bug tracker you will see that such issues are *always* partial updates or other user errors.

#4 Today 02:48:27

DepDepSO

I believe it's happened to Xfce or some of its components. I noticed it right at the moment of updating `harfbuzz, icu, libxml2, vte-common, vte3` when `xfce4-screenshooter` and opening a new `xfce4-terminal` stopped working. They are looking for icu69 libraries.

edit: then I can't start a graphical `xfwm4` session after reboot.

Last edited by DepDepSO (Today 03:01:31)

#5 Today 07:50:50

loqs

DepDepSO wrote:

I believe it's happened to Xfce or some of its components. I noticed it right at the moment of updating `harfbuzz, icu, libxml2, vte-common, vte3`

Did you only update those packages or where they the only packages that were updated during a full system update?

#6 Today 13:10:53

Slithery
Forum Moderator

Until you post actual errors and logs no-one can tell you why your system was broken...
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer