You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-07 20:25:41

garock
Member
Registered: 2021-12-07
Posts: 7

[SOLVED] After instalation wifi is not working

Hi, I was helping a friend to install arch remotely. I did it all by phone call,
he installed the system, it's working normal, internet works with ethernet but wifi just don't work.
He's using NetworkManager, the strange part is that internet connects in eth but wifi keeps disconnecting after 1 sec, in journal it says authentication timed out.

Device is RTL8192EU (Usb TPLink-WN821N v5/v6 ID 2357:0107)

More info:
device works fine on ubuntu-based distros (no extra package needed)
rfkill shows device is not blocked (nor soft or hard)
output of "systemctl list-units --type service --no-pager"  link here
output of "journalctl -b" link here


Any tips of what to do?

--EDIT: I tried to install the 8192eu-dkms package from aur, had to remove the remake_initrd thing in the conf files. Compiled and blacklisted the 8192eu in the modprobe.d, didn't work still

EDIT>>>> After doing this, rebooting the pc and changing the usb port it all worked! So that was the solution: to stop mac adress randomization. Tyvm this was very useful. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by garock (2021-12-08 17:23:22)

Offline

#2 2021-12-07 21:14:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 26,898
Website

Re: [SOLVED] After instalation wifi is not working

Both networkmanager and wpa_supplicant are enabled and fighting for control as can be seen in the journal.  Wpa_supplicant appears to connect successfully, then later networkmanager tries to invoke wpa_supplicant too while also renaming the interface that wpa_supplicant is already running on.

Pick on service.  Disable the other(s).


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#3 2021-12-07 21:21:22

garock
Member
Registered: 2021-12-07
Posts: 7

Re: [SOLVED] After instalation wifi is not working

Trilby wrote:

Both networkmanager and wpa_supplicant are enabled and fighting for control as can be seen in the journal.  Wpa_supplicant appears to connect successfully, then later networkmanager tries to invoke wpa_supplicant too while also renaming the interface that wpa_supplicant is already running on.

Pick on service.  Disable the other(s).

To disable should I use
> systemctl disable wpa_supplicant
for instance, may it work?

--
Edit: by disabling the wpa_supplicant, he couldn't connect to internet in eth and wireless. So we're gonna try disabling the networkmanager and enabling wpa_supplicant.

Edit2: not working at all, trying to connect via wpa_supplicant gives this loop when trying to enable_network 0: (after configuring the network 0 with ssid and psk)
obs: macnumber and MYSSID have different values, i've hide them for privacy

<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
<3>SME: Trying to authenticate with (macnumber) (SSID=MYSSID freq=2422 MHz)
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0 ssid=MYSSID auth_failures=1 duration=10 reason=CONN_FAILED

and the loop goes on...

Edit3: I'm very upset with that, gonna reinstall arch on his pc, this time we're gonna use the arch script.

Last edited by garock (2021-12-07 23:23:58)

Offline

#4 2021-12-08 01:48:46

jonno2002
Member
Registered: 2016-11-21
Posts: 347

Re: [SOLVED] After instalation wifi is not working

garock wrote:

Edit3: I'm very upset with that, gonna reinstall arch on his pc, this time we're gonna use the arch script.

why thats just more work for no reason, try this first:

as root:

systemctl stop wpa_supplicant NetworkManager
systemctl disable wpa_supplicant
rm -rf /etc/wpa_supplicant/*
systemctl start NetworkManager

that SHOULD work, and thats what trilby meant.

Offline

#5 2021-12-08 16:09:06

garock
Member
Registered: 2021-12-07
Posts: 7

Re: [SOLVED] After instalation wifi is not working

jonno2002 wrote:
garock wrote:

Edit3: I'm very upset with that, gonna reinstall arch on his pc, this time we're gonna use the arch script.

why thats just more work for no reason, try this first:

as root:

systemctl stop wpa_supplicant NetworkManager
systemctl disable wpa_supplicant
rm -rf /etc/wpa_supplicant/*
systemctl start NetworkManager

that SHOULD work, and thats what trilby meant.

We reinstalled the image but didn't work (I thought I had messed up something in his installation)

Yesterday we tried to disable wpa_supplicant, he stay without internet in both ethernet and wifi, we're gonna do what you said in this post now and I'll edit to show results.

EDIT: we tried this

systemctl stop wpa_supplicant NetworkManager
systemctl disable wpa_supplicant
rm -rf /etc/wpa_supplicant/*
systemctl start NetworkManager

however everytime we do systemctl start NetworkManager it strangely starts wpa_supplicant.service sad

Last edited by garock (2021-12-08 16:51:37)

Offline

#6 2021-12-08 16:27:15

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 29,872

Re: [SOLVED] After instalation wifi is not working

We reinstalled the image but didn't work

No shit.
https://kefron.com/wp-content/uploads/2 … x500-1.jpg

Don't do that again - you're only creating a moving target what renders efforts to assist you useless.

I tried to install the 8192eu-dkms package from aur, had to remove the remake_initrd thing in the conf files. Compiled and blacklisted the 8192eu in the modprobe.d, didn't work still

Errhemmm…

Dec 07 16:39:53 nasinha kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8xxxu

From your old journal:

Dec 07 16:40:11 nasinha wpa_supplicant[491]: wlp0s29u1u2: SME: Trying to authenticate with 10:c3:ab:53:31:60 (SSID='MOB-DEBORA' freq=2422 MHz)
Dec 07 16:40:11 nasinha kernel: wlp0s29u1u2: authenticate with 10:c3:ab:53:31:60
Dec 07 16:40:11 nasinha NetworkManager[489]: <info>  [1638906011.8785] device (wlp0s29u1u2): supplicant interface state: scanning -> authenticating
Dec 07 16:40:11 nasinha kernel: wlp0s29u1u2: send auth to 10:c3:ab:53:31:60 (try 1/3)
Dec 07 16:40:12 nasinha kernel: wlp0s29u1u2: send auth to 10:c3:ab:53:31:60 (try 2/3)
Dec 07 16:40:12 nasinha kernel: wlp0s29u1u2: send auth to 10:c3:ab:53:31:60 (try 3/3)
Dec 07 16:40:12 nasinha kernel: wlp0s29u1u2: authentication with 10:c3:ab:53:31:60 timed out
Dec 07 16:40:12 nasinha wpa_supplicant[491]: wlp0s29u1u2: CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0 ssid="MOB-DEBORA" auth_failures=1 duration=10 reason=CONN_FAILED
Dec 07 16:40:12 nasinha NetworkManager[489]: <info>  [1638906012.5170] device (wlp0s29u1u2): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> disconnected

NM is trying hard but doesn't get an auth request response from the AP.
Step #1, disable https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Networ … domization (and restart NM)

Offline

#7 2021-12-08 17:06:37

garock
Member
Registered: 2021-12-07
Posts: 7

Re: [SOLVED] After instalation wifi is not working

seth wrote:

We reinstalled the image but didn't work

No shit.
https://kefron.com/wp-content/uploads/2 … x500-1.jpg

We reinstalled because the first installation was about 3 AM I thought I have forget something or messed up the installation, I don't ask him to redo this whole process because I'm 'insane' as the post suggests.
In this new instalation we didn't install the dkms.

seth wrote:

Don't do that again - you're only creating a moving target what renders efforts to assist you useless.

Really, we won't.

seth wrote:

I tried to install the 8192eu-dkms package from aur, had to remove the remake_initrd thing in the conf files. Compiled and blacklisted the 8192eu in the modprobe.d, didn't work still

Errhemmm…

Dec 07 16:39:53 nasinha kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8xxxu

From your old journal:

Dec 07 16:40:11 nasinha wpa_supplicant[491]: wlp0s29u1u2: SME: Trying to authenticate with 10:c3:ab:53:31:60 (SSID='MOB-DEBORA' freq=2422 MHz)
Dec 07 16:40:11 nasinha kernel: wlp0s29u1u2: authenticate with 10:c3:ab:53:31:60
Dec 07 16:40:11 nasinha NetworkManager[489]: <info>  [1638906011.8785] device (wlp0s29u1u2): supplicant interface state: scanning -> authenticating
Dec 07 16:40:11 nasinha kernel: wlp0s29u1u2: send auth to 10:c3:ab:53:31:60 (try 1/3)
Dec 07 16:40:12 nasinha kernel: wlp0s29u1u2: send auth to 10:c3:ab:53:31:60 (try 2/3)
Dec 07 16:40:12 nasinha kernel: wlp0s29u1u2: send auth to 10:c3:ab:53:31:60 (try 3/3)
Dec 07 16:40:12 nasinha kernel: wlp0s29u1u2: authentication with 10:c3:ab:53:31:60 timed out
Dec 07 16:40:12 nasinha wpa_supplicant[491]: wlp0s29u1u2: CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0 ssid="MOB-DEBORA" auth_failures=1 duration=10 reason=CONN_FAILED
Dec 07 16:40:12 nasinha NetworkManager[489]: <info>  [1638906012.5170] device (wlp0s29u1u2): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> disconnected

NM is trying hard but doesn't get an auth request response from the AP.
Step #1, disable https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Networ … domization (and restart NM)

I'm helping him via anydesk, he lives like 2000km away (2235km to be more precise) so sorry if I can't diagnose things very right, I depend on the video call and etc...

btw I created the files to stop mac randomization ( one wifi_rand_mac.conf at /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/ and another NetworkManager.conf at /etc/NetworkManager/ ) restarted NetworkManager and it still don't work.
I can send the new journal if you know something else to do in this case.

EDIT>>>> After doing this, rebooting the pc and changing the usb port it all worked! So that was the solution: to stop mac adress randomization. Tyvm this was very useful. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by garock (2021-12-08 17:22:03)

Offline

#8 2021-12-08 17:13:45

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 26,898
Website

Re: [SOLVED] After instalation wifi is not working

garock wrote:

We reinstalled because the first installation was about 3 AM I thought I have forget something or messed up the installation...

I'm helping him via anydesk, he lives like 2000km away (2235km to be more precise) so sorry if I can't diagnose things very right, I depend on the video call and etc...

So for christmas you're giving one of these?

This is a bad idea from the very start.  Please stop.  Direct him to install a distro that he'll be able to use and maintain.  Installing arch linux for someone else in this way is a disservice both to them and to this community.  This is made all the worse by the fact that you don't seem to be well versed in using arch linux in the first place, and thought attempting this at 3AM was a good idea.  Just stop.  (And with that, I'll leave this thread be as my advice will not likely be heeded).


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#9 2021-12-08 17:26:51

garock
Member
Registered: 2021-12-07
Posts: 7

Re: [SOLVED] After instalation wifi is not working

Trilby wrote:
garock wrote:

We reinstalled because the first installation was about 3 AM I thought I have forget something or messed up the installation...

I'm helping him via anydesk, he lives like 2000km away (2235km to be more precise) so sorry if I can't diagnose things very right, I depend on the video call and etc...

So for christmas you're giving one of these?

This is a bad idea from the very start.  Please stop.  Direct him to install a distro that he'll be able to use and maintain.  Installing arch linux for someone else in this way is a disservice both to them and to this community.  This is made all the worse by the fact that you don't seem to be well versed in using arch linux in the first place, and thought attempting this at 3AM was a good idea.  Just stop.  (And with that, I'll leave this thread be as my advice will not likely be heeded).

So I can't migrate from debian/ubuntu and bring a friend to arch with me? Should I spent the rest of my life there just because we couldn't connect to a wifi due to a lack of 1 conf file?
I'm not so experient with arch, this is true, but, this doesn't mean I won't be someday, and If I never start then I'll never be anything.
It's allright, you can close this topic now, we solved the problem. You tried to help me and @seth showed the solution.

Last edited by garock (2021-12-08 17:28:17)

Offline

#10 2021-12-08 17:40:40

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 29,872

Re: [SOLVED] After instalation wifi is not working

You can if you're willing to remote admin his system forever - or get him up to speed.
If he shows up here and asks for help and we ask him about his system and his response is "dunno, garock set this up - aren't you supposed to know this", he'll be told to ask garock and his post goes straight into the dustbin.

It is ok to maintain arch on behalf of others, it's not ok to drop it onto them and leave them alone.

The NM issue is advanced problem sniffing ability.
The big lesson you should take from this thread is to not address problems w/ re-installation.
And for the records: I didn't call you insane, Albert Einstein identified the approach you took as such. That's two major differences there tongue

Offline

#11 2021-12-08 18:01:24

garock
Member
Registered: 2021-12-07
Posts: 7

Re: [SOLVED] After instalation wifi is not working

seth wrote:

You can if you're willing to remote admin his system forever - or get him up to speed.
If he shows up here and asks for help and we ask him about his system and his response is "dunno, garock set this up - aren't you supposed to know this", he'll be told to ask garock and his post goes straight into the dustbin.

I will help him, he's not a power user, with few things such as browser and libreoffice he'll be fine.
I don't often come to ask for help in forums, and for records: I tried that thing of disabling other NM before I come here to ask for help, I did some research before ask for help, I don't like to waste your precious time.
And most important: he won't show up here, anyone telling I did something for him/her here is lying since I'd never came here before and he'll not use this forum: english is not his native language, and so mine.
With this wlan set up you can be fine.

seth wrote:

It is ok to maintain arch on behalf of others, it's not ok to drop it onto them and leave them alone.

I'm not doing this. Once I read: "friends help friends to use linux", that's why I'm doing (or at least trying)

seth wrote:

The NM issue is advanced problem sniffing ability.
The big lesson you should take from this thread is to not address problems w/ re-installation.

As I said: I just did it because when I was helping him it was dawn, (and yes I know installing arch so late was a bad idea and I could have messed some config during install process). Thing that didn't happened second time.
I don't like to reinstall and I know 99% of arch problems aren't solved this way but I did it just in case I've missed something during the first process, if I had 100% no doubt that everything was fine from the first time I WOULD NEVER reinstall.

seth wrote:

And for the records: I didn't call you insane, Albert Einstein identified the approach you took as such. That's two major differences there tongue

If you read it you will know that people attribute this phrase to albert einstein but he NEVER said that...
sources in portuguese, read it if you want: https://gizmodo.uol.com.br/9-citacoes-a … ao-falsas/
or in english: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/23/same/

Last edited by garock (2021-12-08 18:07:31)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB