You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-03 12:32:43

DooMIII

[SOLVED] VPN within OpenVPN

Hello,

Right now I have a work computer (lets call it A) that only works through work VPN (internet is disabled otherwise, which makes sense security wise)

My goal : working with that computer so that nobody is able to locate my real IP (right now working in another place than my home.)

To that purpose, I have left a working server (B) with adequate router port forwarding at home. I also have an arch personal laptop (C) which is currently able to SSH to B and I also set a working VPN between B and C. So right now I can browse the web with C, and it will display the IP from B and use the dns I specified.

But right now, I would like to set an access point to share the internet I brought through personal VPN from B to C, and use it so that work computer A is able to connect to work VPN through personal VPN, without my boss being able to locate me.

Obviously I don't intend to "hack" my employer or "break" his VPN. Just hide my work location.

Just wondering wether I took the right steps. Is it possible to forward network/internet request from a vpn computer to an "external" network (wifi access point through hostapd for instance)

I tried some port forwarding through iptables, and to set a bridge, to no avail... Also wondering if I should not rather toss away the personal vpn and just forward the work VPN port through ssh. Let the minimum go through SSH...Obviously I don't care about security, since my work VPN is already secure (only handshake is unencrypted, probably)

Any idea ? I can provide more data if needed.

Last edited by DooMIII (2022-01-07 18:04:19)

#2 2022-01-07 18:03:14

DooMIII

Re: [SOLVED] VPN within OpenVPN

Just to follow up, I managed to make it work by using the built-in network-manager KDE gui to set a Wifi access point from my laptop (C) Just needed to install DNSmasq to make it work.

Right now, my only remaining issue is that I cannot host a 5GHz wifi 802.11ac. Something is off with DFS or country regulation (crda package) and wpa_supplicant sends an error code and doesn't let me host wifi even though my wireless device can handle it. No big deal.

Might also try  the no cipher mode since my work VPN is already encrypted and I still have TLS check. That might improve a bit my latency.

Board footer