You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-20 03:51:15

nasci
Website

Dovecot IMAP SSL "certificate is empty"

I'm trying to set up a mail server with Postfix, Dovecot, MySQL etc., roughly following Virtual user mail system with Postfix, Dovecot and Roundcube. For the SSL/TLS portion of Dovecot, I followed the Dovecot wiki page for generating the certificate, but when I try to connect to the server with IMAP, I get

dovecot[4041144]: imap-login: Error: Failed to initialize SSL server context: Can't load SSL certificate (ssl_cert setting): The certificate is empty: user=<>, rip=*.***.***.***, lip=**.*.*.***, session=<q/0bHfvVvAcBkdDY>

I've set permissions on the SSL cert and key according to https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_m … iguration/, but Dovecot runs as root anyway so permission shouldn't be a problem. I just can't work out why it says the certificate is empty. The files definitely exist at the paths specified in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf and are not empty. Any ideas why Dovecot isn't reading the certificate?

#2 2022-01-20 07:15:10

nasci
Website

Re: Dovecot IMAP SSL "certificate is empty"

Well, this is embarrassing. Turns out I forgot to !include conf.d/*.conf in dovecot.conf. That explains a couple of problems I've been having. Reading through the Dovecot wiki page again, I notice there is a warning about this in the sieve section. Might be worth duplicating/moving this earlier in the article.

I'll leave this here just in case someone is equally dumb in the future.

Last edited by nasci (2022-01-20 07:15:28)

Board footer