You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-29 16:29:53

merc68k

[SOLVED] Pipewire custom profile?

Hi, I am trying to figure out if it's possible to do what I want with Pipewire.

I am using onboard Intel audio (Gigabyte GA-Z170x UD5).  I have speakers connected to the optical output and headphones connected to the headphone jack on the front of my case.

I would like to be able to direct audio to either the speakers or the headphones on-demand, e.g. by changing the sink in pavucontrol.

So far the only way I have found to do this is by selecting the "Pro Audio" profile in pavucontrol, at which point one of the seven outputs of the built-in audio represents the optical out, and another, the headphones.  This works, but I'd rather not have to see the other outputs that I don't need.  Also, when using this profile, Jack applications like Catia show even more outputs, all labeled as some variation of "monitor/capture_AUXn" where n is a number from 0 to 7.

From the various documentation on Pipewire/Pulse it seems like I should be able to define a custom profile that would have only two outputs, one for the optical output and one for the headphones, each having two channels.  Unfortunately the documentation I've found seems either incomplete or out of date, or both.

Has anyone been able to make something like this and might be able to help?

Last edited by merc68k (2022-02-20 13:27:24)

#2 2022-01-29 16:36:19

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Pipewire custom profile?

merc68k wrote:

I would like to be able to direct audio to either the speakers or the headphones on-demand, e.g. by changing the sink in pavucontrol.

Wouldn't it be easier to just set up a hotkey in whichever WM/DE you use that runs a script to toggle between devices?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseA … og_outputs

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2022-01-29 17:09:23

V1del
Forum Moderator

Quick fix: edit /usr/share/alsa-card-profile/mixer/profile-sets/default.conf and uncomment the literal example at the end of the file, add the file path to pacman.conf with a NoExtract= line so it doesn't get broken by updates.

More correct fix, copy the default.conf with the fixed example to a seperate file and copy the standard set of udev rules from /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/90-pipewire-alsa.rules into /etc/udev/rules.d/ and add your VID/PID to the first set of definitions change the ACP_PROFILE_SET to the newly created file.

If the example doesn't map to your card setup, either figure the relevant differences out yourself, or post

pactl list cards
pactl list sinks

and mention which profiles you want to logically combine so we can help.

Last edited by V1del (2022-01-29 17:11:08)

#4 2022-01-30 12:32:16

merc68k

@Slithery
I've been doing exactly this (a hotkey) until now, but it doesn't solve the problem of the extra outputs (especially in Jack).

@V1del
Wow, that is pretty much exactly what I needed, thanks!  The one thing I would still like to be able to change is the naming of the ports in Jack, as I now have two "playback_FL/FR" pairs, but that's very minor.  I'll see if I can figure that part out.  At least now there are only two options instead of around 16, which was the biggest frustration I had with the Pro Audio profile.

Board footer