You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-03 10:46:26

FUBAR
Website

[iptables] ipp2p - Dealing with P2P upload congestion

I have to share an ADSL (4MBit/256kbit) line with 4 other people. They like to download stuff, who doesn't. I don't mind. I do mind the behaviour of their P2P-clients: most clients have a fixed ratio between upload and download speeds. You can't cap the upload speed and get decent download speeds.

This is very annoying because I usually log into my box using SSH. The connection lags so much because of all the P2P upstream, that I can't even use my shell comfortably anymore.

It just so happens that I'm also the "admin" of the network and the router (running Arch! ^_^) and I've been looking for a way to deal with this annoying traffic.

I'm currently using iptables with Shorewall as a frontend. I've setup some QoS rules, but they only work for traffic that uses standard ports. P2P clients open random ports, so it's impossible to track (and manage).
I've come across ipp2p, a module for iptables that can recognize most of the P2P traffic (it checks connections, rather than individual packets).

Using the following rules I've tried to cap the combined upstream of P2P traffic to 20kbit/s (yeah, you can call me a leecher, I don't care since we have strict quotas in Belgium tongue):

/etc/shorewall/tcdevices

eth1        4000kbit    256kbit

/etc/shorewall/tcclasses

# P2P outgoing
eth1        10    20kbit    20kbit    255    

/etc/shorewall/tcrules

10    10.0.0.0/0        0.0.0.0/0    ipp2p:all

eth1 being my "red" (WAN) interface, connected to the Ethernet ADSL modem. I've also tried replacing it with ppp0, but to no avail.

It doesn't seem to work: if I set an unlimited upload rate in a P2P client, the router doesn't limit it.

How do I check if the ipp2p is working correctly? I'm sure it's loaded: I can use the --help option.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#2 2006-12-04 10:16:30

cin

Re: [iptables] ipp2p - Dealing with P2P upload congestion

Hi, not going to be very helpful here, but having setup similar to yours (arch router, me + 3 others; everyone does some p2p'ing), thouht I might put my 2 cents...

From the ipp2p page:

In version 0.7 --debug was introduced that prints a statement about every single match into the kernel logfile. An entry would look like this:
Dec 20 14:23:10 box kernel: IPP2P.debug:UDP-match: 201 from: 192.168.0.1:4693 to: 192.168.0.2:2004 Length: 26

That would be about checking if it's working at all, and if correctly :?:  :?:

Second thingy - holy war between evil ISP's and file sharers. On ed2k recent emule client introduced protocol obfuscation, amule devs are working to implement it ASAP too. Don't know about other networks, but that's the way to go, methinks. Then, depending on what p2p apps yr lan-mates are running and how good the last version of IPP2P is at recognizing their traffic...

me for now sticking to customized wondershaper, latency for SSH/games ok at a cost of almost half up banwidth wasted sad

P.S. ~1/2 year ago I needed to quickly find out how to connect our place to internet - found your wiki router page and then the rest of Arch  big_smile  big_smile

#3 2006-12-04 12:45:45

FUBAR
Website

cin wrote:

From the ipp2p page:

In version 0.7 --debug was introduced that prints a statement about every single match into the kernel logfile. An entry would look like this:
Dec 20 14:23:10 box kernel: IPP2P.debug:UDP-match: 201 from: 192.168.0.1:4693 to: 192.168.0.2:2004 Length: 26

That would be about checking if it's working at all, and if correctly :?:  :?:

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

cin wrote:

Second thingy - holy war between evil ISP's and file sharers. On ed2k recent emule client introduced protocol obfuscation, amule devs are working to implement it ASAP too. Don't know about other networks, but that's the way to go, methinks. Then, depending on what p2p apps yr lan-mates are running and how good the last version of IPP2P is at recognizing their traffic...

Maybe l7-filter is "smart" enough?

cin wrote:

me for now sticking to customized wondershaper, latency for SSH/games ok at a cost of almost half up banwidth wasted sad

Care to show me your rules? smile

cin wrote:

P.S. ~1/2 year ago I needed to quickly find out how to connect our place to internet - found your wiki router page and then the rest of Arch  big_smile  big_smile

Hehe, good to hear. smile

#4 2006-12-04 16:31:57

sh__

How about not trying to identify the P2P traffic at all? Use port-based QoS for known services only. Example:

SSH traffic: high priority
HTTP traffic: medium priority
everything else: low priority

Another idea (stolen from the Gentoo wiki) would be to look at the packet size. Bulk data for P2P transfers tends to be fairly big compared to SSH.

#5 2006-12-06 19:52:39

FUBAR
Website

I don't just want to give it a low priority, I want to cap its upload rate. But only of P2P traffic. I think I'm nearly there. I just found out I didn't even have CONNMARK support in my kernel.

Board footer