You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-27 15:25:11

srachko

Samba as a file server for smart tv

I'm probably asking a bit stupid question.

I'm wondering if I can somehow configure samba on my PC to have a folder with movies accessible on my android smart tv. I tried Plex and other simmiliar things on my Windows pc, but I switched now on Arch only.

I have a ton of videos (mostly screenrecordings of gameplay on PS4) and I would like to watch them on my tv. One way is to copy them to a flash drive and stick it in the tv, but this takes too much time and is quite annoying when I am comfortably on my couch big_smile

Is samba even suitable for such use or should I look for other software for my needs?

#2 2022-04-27 15:36:57

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Samba as a file server for smart tv

Samba is an acceptable solution although you'll be stuck with having to browse the filesystem to the media you wish to play.

Chances are your TV will be DLNA compatible so there are plenty of other solutions...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … ia_servers

I use MiniDLNA as it's lightweight and IMO easier to configure than Samba.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2022-05-02 11:49:21

srachko

Re: Samba as a file server for smart tv

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to figure out how to configure this one. I still didn't got the stuff to work with samba. But I guess this is another topic big_smile

Board footer