You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-03 22:05:04

millus

[WORKAROUND] Pacman update worked except for NVidia

So I survived the grub update by doing the grub-install and mkconfig as described on archlinux.org.
However, another problem I haven't seen before popped up after rebooting:
Xfce4 won't start, with EE in the log:
"failed to initialize the nvidia kernel module".

Edit: Worked around with "linux" instead of formerly "linux-hardened" as explained in my subsequent post.

Last edited by millus (2022-09-13 11:09:11)

#2 2022-09-03 22:13:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [WORKAROUND] Pacman update worked except for NVidia

Please post the complete log as well as the version(s) of any nvidia packages.  Are you using unofficial and / or dkms versions of nvidia?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2022-09-03 22:14:08

loqs

Are there any messages from the nvidia kernel module in the output of dmesg?  What nvidia packages are installed on the system?  `pacman -Qs nvidia`

#4 2022-09-13 11:08:16

millus

Alright, thanks guys, I found a part of the problem:
I had in my normal grub the linux-hardened kernel as default and the normal linux kernel under advanced options.
After this grub update happened my X suddenly failed with EE about nvidia driver not found.
So I deleted the Xorg.conf as it isn't needed anyway, and now I was able to start XFCE4, except it was just in 1024x768 emergency resolution, or whatever it's called, with no options in xrandr/arandr to change that!
Then I tried to reinstall nvidia blob driver and modprobe nvidia to make sure the driver is there, and now I saw that it said blabla nvidia not found in...  linux-lts 5.15 !!
uname confirmed that - my system was suddenly booting a weird, wrong kernel after that grub update, that I never used.
So I uninstalled linux-lts, did mkinitcpio -P and rebuilt grub and now I was almost there-

[ Quick side note in case anyone else stumbles over this:
I was unable to update grub from within my existing system as that would suddenly generate an error
"EFI variables are not supported on this system"
Some people write to install and modprobe efivarfs in this case but that did nothing.
So I had to boot from arch USB and arch-chroot into my system and then rebuilt grub, no complaints then. ]

The linux-hardened kernel STILL causes emergency-gfx-mode, unlike before where it was working with nvidia flawlessly. I have not been able to solve this sad
..but at least the normal 'linux' kernel now works fine again and gives me nvidia-driven visuals, so all good I guess.
However, I'd love to get linux-hardened to work again as it used to. If you have a quick idea why this has suddenly ceased working, please shoot; otherwise, after I reaccumulate some energy I shall generate all kind of log stuff and throw it here for analysis -_- but right now I just can't...so tired of this random crap. Thanks for your understanding, I wub you all.

Last edited by millus (2022-09-14 10:23:28)

Board footer