You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-27 13:48:12

fch07

Home server distro with arch

I've been using yunohost and freedombox for home servers, I was wondering if there's some similar alternative based on arch. If not, is there's some tutorial of how to set a server using arch.

#2 2022-12-27 14:20:06

SimonJ

Re: Home server distro with arch

Arch works perfectly as a server as long as you research the updates before applying them, don't do partial updates but plan for the changes.

#3 2022-12-27 17:58:11

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

is there's some tutorial of how to set a server using arch

'A server' is ridiculously ambiguous, but yes, start here.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2022-12-27 18:20:46

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

#5 2022-12-28 08:02:14

d.ALT

Depends on you needs!! See WorMzy's post!

Anyway, I'm running a s***id basic LAN home server (NAS) I use it for sharing files (and copying backups).
I just set-up NFS and CIFS shares and I'm good to go.

<49,17,III,I>    Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa;
<50,17,III,I>    misericordia e giustizia li sdegna:
<51,17,III,I>    non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

#6 2022-12-28 14:37:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

A computer doesn't know or care if it's in your home, so "home server" and be simplified to "server"; you just have the advantage of having direct physical access - this is not always the case for managing servers.

In any case, your question is just "can arch be used as a server?" to which the answer is definitely yes; the question is quite ambiguous as it depends what you want to serve (web, shell, email, files, etc), but the answer is yes in every case.  I use arch on a VPS as a web, email, and fossil server.  I use arch on a home system as a ssh host.  I previously ran arch on a VPS for web, git, and maradb servers.

For (almost) any given service that you'd like your arch system to provide, you will find a page (or pages) on our wiki for installing and configuring the relevant software.

Note too that there are articles on properly securing a server if it is exposed to the wider internet.  This should not be taken lightly.  I'm not familiar with the other distros / tools you mentioned, but most "server distros" will handle much of the security for you.  Do not let this be an after-thought ... unless of course home-server means it's just just within your home behind a router and not so visible to the outside world.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-12-28 14:40:31)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2022-12-29 22:32:36

fch07

Trilby wrote:

A computer doesn't know or care if it's in your home, so "home server" and be simplified to "server"; you just have the advantage of having direct physical access - this is not always the case for managing servers.

In any case, your question is just "can arch be used as a server?" to which the answer is definitely yes; the question is quite ambiguous as it depends what you want to serve (web, shell, email, files, etc), but the answer is yes in every case.  I use arch on a VPS as a web, email, and fossil server.  I use arch on a home system as a ssh host.  I previously ran arch on a VPS for web, git, and maradb servers.

For (almost) any given service that you'd like your arch system to provide, you will find a page (or pages) on our wiki for installing and configuring the relevant software.

Note too that there are articles on properly securing a server if it is exposed to the wider internet.  This should not be taken lightly.  I'm not familiar with the other distros / tools you mentioned, but most "server distros" will handle much of the security for you.  Do not let this be an after-thought ... unless of course home-server means it's just just within your home behind a router and not so visible to the outside world.

I know that, my point in saying "home server" is because I am searching something ready to use as a home server like yunohost or freedombox that developed mainly for this kind of use, but based on arch and not on debian.

#8 2022-12-29 23:02:59

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

"Ready to use" isn't really an Arch thing.

#9 2022-12-29 23:46:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

fch07 wrote:

I am searching something ready to use as a home server like yunohost or freedombox...

How much like those does it need to be?  What features are important to you?  Both of those are distros, not specific tools.  They each provide (or at least yunohost does) a web-based control panel for managing some server software - is that what you are looking for?  To start I'd check what control panel software they use and see if it would work for you on an arch system.

Webmin and ajenti are available in the AUR, I'm pretty sure cPanel is too, and I'd be surprised if several others weren't also available.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-12-29 23:50:26)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2023-01-11 17:42:59

fch07

Trilby wrote:
fch07 wrote:

I am searching something ready to use as a home server like yunohost or freedombox...

How much like those does it need to be?  What features are important to you?  Both of those are distros, not specific tools.  They each provide (or at least yunohost does) a web-based control panel for managing some server software - is that what you are looking for?  To start I'd check what control panel software they use and see if it would work for you on an arch system.

Webmin and ajenti are available in the AUR, I'm pretty sure cPanel is too, and I'd be surprised if several others weren't also available.

I mean if there was a guide of how to do it, specially the part of managing a domain, DNS and etc would be of great help for me and maybe for many others. The features important for me are very simple and easy to install, like postfix prosody nextcloud yacy. What really I struggle the most is the part of setting the domain or subdomain and configuring the DNS.

#11 2023-01-11 19:50:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Oh, well that's a completely different question.  DNS (for other systems to find yours) is completely external to the system in question, so the distro and software on the server is irrelevant.  If you've purchased a domain name, you configure the IP for that domain name (and subdomains) through the domain provider's tools.  The only time the server itself is relevant is if you don't have a static publically visible IP address (i.e., if you're behind an ISP router running a DHCP server); in that case you might need a dyamic DNS service on your home server which is outlined here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dynamic_DNS

Last edited by Trilby (2023-01-11 19:52:00)

Board footer