You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-08 14:12:30

cedricmc

My IPv6 is visible through OpenVPN

Hi all,

When I connect to an OpenVPN server of my own, my true IPv6 is visible. In fact, if I go to https://whatismyipaddress.com, I see my IPv6 and my server's IPv4. I think I am leaking some traffic.

I realized this due to a recent update in which eth0 was renamed to end0 on my server (RPi). I was able to connect to the server but my traffic was being blocked. I had to edit the iptables.rules to reflect the device name change. Prior to this fix, I was able to connect to IPv6 sites, like google.com.

What I am missing?

Thx.

#2 2023-01-08 14:26:46

ratcheer

Re: My IPv6 is visible through OpenVPN

There is package openvpn-update-systemd-resolved in the AUR, but on my system (or for my VPN provider, I'm not sure which), it seems to only work for IPv4.

#3 2023-01-09 10:40:36

-thc

cedricmc wrote:

When I connect to an OpenVPN server of my own, my true IPv6 is visible. In fact, if I go to https://whatismyipaddress.com, I see my IPv6 and my server's IPv4. I think I am leaking some traffic.

Yep - welcome to the wonders of the IPv4/IPv6 dual stack wink .

cedricmc wrote:

What I am missing?

That depends on your networking setup (including the server) and what you already know about the caveats of an IP dual stack and the kinds of shenanigans that it may cause.

Let me give you an example: You have a working IPv4 network setup with proxy filters, firewalling and VPN. Then one day you enable IPv6 on your router (and your PC - the server doesn't matter) - and suddenly websites are unfiltered and packets are allowed or outside the VPN.

#4 2023-01-12 08:52:53

cedricmc

Thx, @ratcheer, I know about that package but I am not using systemd-resolved.

@-thx, I see. My server settings are from before I changed of provider. My prior provider was IPv4 only. My knowledge about the caveats of IP dual stack is limited but I imagine I will be suffering a bit.

Thx for the replies, guys.

Board footer