You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-22 17:33:06

Der Chefkoch

[SOLVED] Cannot boot [...] after latest kernel update

Running a 40 series Nvidia GPU.

After the recent linux-lts incl. Nvidia proprietary drivers I could not boot anymore, downgrading packages shot even more so I tried a fresh install on another drive (due to time constraints and me not in the mood today to tinker around too much), fresh install also doesnt work now.

Is this a more common thing atm or is it just "me"?

Last edited by Der Chefkoch (2023-02-22 20:33:21)

#2 2023-02-22 17:39:29

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot boot [...] after latest kernel update

You'll get further by always assuming it's "you" and troubleshooting accordingly: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

Likely case with that new of a GPU that you'll have a new enough intel processor to match and the in kernel enablement of ibt in 5.18 kicking the external module, note the note in: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA#Installation - add

ibt=off

to your kernel parameters.

If that wasn't it, produce the faulty situation and post a

sudo journalctl -b #assuming you can at least access a terminal, if not reboot into a working situation and post -b-1 instead

, other caveat people are having with 6.0 that makes things look broken while they actually arent, disable a potential unnecessary integrated GPU in your EFI

Regarding a rollback breaking things further, the nvidia driver generally has very good kernel compatibility, so what you need to ensure if you intend to downgrade is that you simply have the matching nvidia kernel module for the kernel. If you can't downgrade easily because the actual nvidia driver version changed and there never having been a build for the older kernel is to install the appropriately older version of linux-lts-headers in addition to the kernel itself and opting for nvidia-dkms so the module rebuild can happen on your system.

Last edited by V1del (2023-02-22 17:43:40)

#3 2023-02-22 17:41:23

Scimmia
Fellow

What driver package are you using, exactly?

#4 2023-02-22 20:31:54

Der Chefkoch

V1del wrote:

You'll get further by always assuming it's "you" and troubleshooting accordingly: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

Generally full agreement, but in this case it IS a bug XD

You were otherwise spot on - the lts-kernel I used befor was 5.15 so I did not have the issue. Adding the kernel parameters as suggested worked, thx!

... to not only throw a poor man a fish once but teach how to fish: How would I find such an issue out on my own? Or is it the experience

#5 2023-02-22 20:32:37

Der Chefkoch

Scimmia wrote:

What driver package are you using, exactly?

Assuming you mean the gpu drivers, now latest nvidia propietary

#6 2023-02-22 20:43:08

V1del
Forum Moderator

Generally keep to the current kernels and/or  read here and keep in mind that even on the LTS kernel you will eventually run into stuff others have ran into,  this issue was discovered and relevantly documented quickly the first time 5.18 kernels shipped.

For identifying from scratch, you would've noticed a failure to load the nvidia module with an ENDBR error in the dmesg/journal log, upon googling of which you'd have found quite a few references to that and to the fix for it. In general get accustomed to looking at logs before panicking. There is nearly never a reason for doing a reinstall and much more clearer and logical reasons will be the cause for issues, that might already have been encountered by someone.

Last edited by V1del (2023-02-22 20:51:05)

Board footer