You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-12 17:22:46

ivan-gyulev
Member
Registered: 2023-03-12
Posts: 3

[SOLVED] Fail to establish ethernet connection with Raspberry PI

  1. Setup

    • Laptop

      • fresh arch install

      • NetworkManager running

      • iwd backend and running

      • nss-mdns installed

      • avahi-daemon running

      • dhcpcd initially not installed

    • Rapberry Pi 3

      • fresh raspbian install

      • ssh enabled with password

      • sshd running

      • vnc enabled and running

      • avahi-daemon running

      • NetworkManager not running

    • An ethernet cable directly connecting the two

  2. Expected Result

    • an ethernet connection is established

    • $ nmap <elo2 ip>

      finds raspberry

    • $ ssh raspberrypi.local

      manages to resolve the hostname and connects me

    • the avahi vnc and ssh server GUIs see the raspberry and allow me to easily connect to it EDIT: I was a mistaken here you need a vnc/ssh client/viewer app(not a server app) to connect to the vnc/ssh server on the pi

  3. Actual Result

    • gnome shows the "Activation of network connection failed" notification message

    • $ sudo dmesg -w

      shows only
             

      [12511.297745] r8169 0000:03:00.0 eno2: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control off
    • $ journalctl -f

      shows
             

      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux kernel: r8169 0000:03:00.0 eno2: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control off
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639032.0978] device (eno2): carrier: link connected
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639032.0983] device (eno2): state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'carrier-changed', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639032.1010] policy: auto-activating connection 'Wired connection 1' (377cb76f-2fb1-3ee7-8d4a-b5441c82b528)
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639032.1029] device (eno2): Activation: starting connection 'Wired connection 1' (377cb76f-2fb1-3ee7-8d4a-b5441c82b528)
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639032.1032] device (eno2): state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639032.1040] manager: NetworkManager state is now CONNECTING
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639032.1042] device (eno2): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux dbus-daemon[563]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service' requested by ':1.4' (uid=0 pid=570 comm="/usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon")
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639032.1049] device (eno2): state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639032.1060] dhcp4 (eno2): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eno2.IPv6 with address fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14.
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: New relevant interface eno2.IPv6 for mDNS.
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Registering new address record for fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14 on eno2.*.
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service...
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux dbus-daemon[563]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher'
      Mar 12 18:37:12 archlinux systemd[1]: Started Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service.
      Mar 12 18:37:22 archlinux systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Deactivated successfully.
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4112] device (eno2): state change: ip-config -> failed (reason 'ip-config-unavailable', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4119] manager: NetworkManager state is now DISCONNECTED
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <warn>  [1678639077.4123] device (eno2): Activation: failed for connection 'Wired connection 1'
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4126] device (eno2): state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Withdrawing address record for fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14 on eno2.
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eno2.IPv6 with address fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14.
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Interface eno2.IPv6 no longer relevant for mDNS.
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4171] dhcp4 (eno2): canceled DHCP transaction
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4171] dhcp4 (eno2): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4171] dhcp4 (eno2): state changed no lease
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4180] policy: auto-activating connection 'Wired connection 1' (377cb76f-2fb1-3ee7-8d4a-b5441c82b528)
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4184] device (eno2): Activation: starting connection 'Wired connection 1' (377cb76f-2fb1-3ee7-8d4a-b5441c82b528)
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4185] device (eno2): state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux dbus-daemon[563]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service' requested by ':1.4' (uid=0 pid=570 comm="/usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon")
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4187] manager: NetworkManager state is now CONNECTING
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4188] device (eno2): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4200] device (eno2): state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639077.4210] dhcp4 (eno2): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eno2.IPv6 with address fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14.
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: New relevant interface eno2.IPv6 for mDNS.
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Registering new address record for fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14 on eno2.*.
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service...
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux dbus-daemon[563]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher'
      Mar 12 18:37:57 archlinux systemd[1]: Started Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service.
      Mar 12 18:38:07 archlinux systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Deactivated successfully.
    • the

      reason 'ip-config-unavailable'

      and an error message from somewhere about /etc/dhcpcd.conf missing caused me to install dhcpcd

    • the journalctl output changed after enabling dhcpcd to
             

      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux kernel: r8169 0000:03:00.0 eno2: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control off
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux dhcpcd[43707]: eno2: carrier acquired
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639837.8716] device (eno2): carrier: link connected
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639837.8722] device (eno2): state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'carrier-changed', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639837.8737] policy: auto-activating connection 'Wired connection 1' (377cb76f-2fb1-3ee7-8d4a-b5441c82b528)
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639837.8746] device (eno2): Activation: starting connection 'Wired connection 1' (377cb76f-2fb1-3ee7-8d4a-b5441c82b528)
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639837.8748] device (eno2): state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639837.8754] device (eno2): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639837.8769] device (eno2): state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639837.8779] dhcp4 (eno2): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eno2.IPv6 with address fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14.
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: New relevant interface eno2.IPv6 for mDNS.
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Registering new address record for fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14 on eno2.*.
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux dhcpcd[43707]: eno2: IAID 26:1c:6b:8d
      Mar 12 18:50:37 archlinux dhcpcd[43707]: eno2: soliciting an IPv6 router
      Mar 12 18:50:38 archlinux dhcpcd[43707]: eno2: soliciting a DHCP lease
      Mar 12 18:50:47 archlinux systemd[1]: systemd-hostnamed.service: Deactivated successfully.
      Mar 12 18:50:51 archlinux dhcpcd[43707]: eno2: no IPv6 Routers available
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639883.4021] device (eno2): state change: ip-config -> failed (reason 'ip-config-unavailable', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <warn>  [1678639883.4029] device (eno2): Activation: failed for connection 'Wired connection 1'
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639883.4034] device (eno2): state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Withdrawing address record for fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14 on eno2.
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eno2.IPv6 with address fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14.
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Interface eno2.IPv6 no longer relevant for mDNS.
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639883.4344] dhcp4 (eno2): canceled DHCP transaction
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639883.4345] dhcp4 (eno2): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639883.4345] dhcp4 (eno2): state changed no lease
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639883.4368] policy: auto-activating connection 'Wired connection 1' (377cb76f-2fb1-3ee7-8d4a-b5441c82b528)
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639883.4379] device (eno2): Activation: starting connection 'Wired connection 1' (377cb76f-2fb1-3ee7-8d4a-b5441c82b528)
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639883.4381] device (eno2): state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639883.4389] device (eno2): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639883.4412] device (eno2): state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux NetworkManager[570]: <info>  [1678639883.4422] dhcp4 (eno2): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eno2.IPv6 with address fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14.
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: New relevant interface eno2.IPv6 for mDNS.
      Mar 12 18:51:23 archlinux avahi-daemon[562]: Registering new address record for fe80::3d2b:c525:5701:e14 on eno2.*.
  4. What I've Tried

    • used a windows instead of arch and vnc and ssh worked perfectly, so I don't think it's the raspberry

    • reinstaled both operating systems

    • disabled ipv6, which only made dhcpcd complain more

    • tried to figure out what does dhcpcd do, why it is not installed by default, whether I need it, etc.

I realized I should’ve posted this in Newbie Corner

Last edited by ivan-gyulev (2023-03-14 15:27:06)

Offline

#2 2023-03-12 19:10:34

-thc
Member
Registered: 2017-03-15
Posts: 473

Re: [SOLVED] Fail to establish ethernet connection with Raspberry PI

For a "switch-less" direct connection you need at least one side working at Gigabit Speed.
Two network cards with 100 MBit each need a crossover cable.

Offline

#3 2023-03-12 19:30:01

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 19,677

Re: [SOLVED] Fail to establish ethernet connection with Raspberry PI

A few questions.   I assume you want to use static addresses; can you confirm this?
There are basically 3 ways to configure IPv4 addresses.  Static, where you set the address to one that you define; dynamic, where you ask a DHCP server what address to use; and an ad hoc method used by some when there is no static address defined and no DHCP server can be found.  I think you are falling into that last group.  dhcpcd is the Dynamic Host Control Protocol Client Daemon.  It is the thing that tries to find a DHCP server to acquire an address.
How are you setting IP addresses? 
How do you know the IP address of the Raspberry Pi?
You are using IWD as a backend for Network Manager;  You did not enable it did you? (Don't)

What are the output of ip addr on both machines?
What is the output of find /etc/systemd on the Arch box.

As to the comments from -thc; I have no idea  what the first comment is about, but I am pretty sure I disagree.
The second comment is true historically, but almost all modern systems have Auto MDI-x; I have not needed a cross over cable this millennium.

Last edited by ewaller (2023-03-12 19:30:26)


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#4 2023-03-13 15:08:00

ivan-gyulev
Member
Registered: 2023-03-12
Posts: 3

Re: [SOLVED] Fail to establish ethernet connection with Raspberry PI

Sorry for the delayed response I had school

ewaller wrote:

I assume you want to use static addresses; can you confirm this?

  • I think I once put 10.43.0.1 on the laptop and 10.43.0.2 on the pi and

    $ ssh 10.43.0.2

    worked, but still coudn't

    $ ssh raspberrypi.local
  • On windows I plug the cable I type

    $ ssh raspberrypi.local

    and I am connected, ideally I want this, but if static IPs are "configure once don't think about it later" I don't mind doing so, as long as the localhost name can be resolved

ewaller wrote:

How are you setting IP addresses?

  • The aforementioned time I tried static IPs I used

    ip route add ...

    ip addr add ...

    , but since I am trying to emulate the windows behaviour the rest of the tries I was not setting the IPs

ewaller wrote:

How do you know the IP address of the Raspberry Pi?

  • For the try with the static IP it is obvious - 10.43.0.2

  • When experimenting without static IPs I had a monitor plugged and I ran

    $ ip addr

    or

    $ hostname -I
ewaller wrote:

You are using IWD as a backend for Network Manager; You did not enable it did you?

  • I just assumed the iwd daemon must be running for Network Manager to use it, is that not the case?

ewaller wrote:

What are the output of ip addr on both machines?

  • When I don't set the static IPs
        Raspberry:

    $ ip addr
        1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether b8:27:eb:29:4c:f3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet 169.254.81.169/16 brd 169.254.255.255 scope global noprefixroute eth0
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 fe80::9018:7c9d:3145:4382/64 scope link
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether b8:27:eb:7c:19:a6 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet 10.79.232.188/8 brd 10.255.255.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute wlan0
           valid_lft 86393sec preferred_lft 57593sec
        inet6 fe80::8f47:ed85:5809:c5f9/64 scope link
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

        Arch:

    $ ip addr
        1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    2: eno2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 04:92:26:1c:6b:8d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        altname enp3s0
    4: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether fc:77:74:c6:ff:fc brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet 10.247.211.192/8 brd 10.255.255.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute wlan0
           valid_lft 82283sec preferred_lft 82283sec
        inet6 fe80::68ed:1b96:82a9:3b1f/64 scope link noprefixroute 
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
ewaller wrote:

What is the output of find /etc/systemd on the Arch box?

  • $ find /etc/systemd
        /etc/systemd/
    /etc/systemd/coredump.conf
    /etc/systemd/resolved.conf
    /etc/systemd/journald.conf
    /etc/systemd/logind.conf
    /etc/systemd/journal-upload.conf
    /etc/systemd/network
    /etc/systemd/system
    /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.timesync1.service
    /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants
    /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service
    /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service
    /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service
    /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants
    /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/systemd-timesyncd.service
    /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants
    /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/avahi-daemon.socket
    /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants
    /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/avahi-daemon.service
    /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/iwd.service
    /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service
    /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dhcpcd.service
    /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/remote-fs.target
    /etc/systemd/system/network-online.target.wants
    /etc/systemd/system/network-online.target.wants/NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    /etc/systemd/system/timers.target.wants
    /etc/systemd/system/timers.target.wants/fstrim.timer
    /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service
    /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf
    /etc/systemd/system.conf
    /etc/systemd/oomd.conf
    /etc/systemd/networkd.conf
    /etc/systemd/sleep.conf
    /etc/systemd/journal-remote.conf
    /etc/systemd/user
    /etc/systemd/user/default.target.wants
    /etc/systemd/user/default.target.wants/xdg-user-dirs-update.service
    /etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants
    /etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pipewire-pulse.socket
    /etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pipewire.socket
    /etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/gnome-keyring-daemon.socket
    /etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/p11-kit-server.socket
    /etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/gcr-ssh-agent.socket
    /etc/systemd/user/pipewire-session-manager.service
    /etc/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants
    /etc/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants/wireplumber.service
    /etc/systemd/user.conf
    /etc/systemd/homed.conf
    /etc/systemd/pstore.conf

Last edited by ivan-gyulev (2023-03-14 13:08:31)

Offline

#5 2023-03-13 15:57:41

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 48,439

Re: [SOLVED] Fail to establish ethernet connection with Raspberry PI

You've iwd, dhcpcd and NetworkManager enabled, pick one, disable the others.

I just assumed the iwd daemon must be running for Network Manager to use it, is that not the case?

What do we say about ass·u·me…?
If you want to use iwd as NM backend, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Networ … Fi_backend

However, couple of things:
The raspberry pi has 10.79.232.188/8 on the wifi, the wired connection has a lease on 169.254.81.169/16
If you're pinging it at 10.43.0.2, that probably does NOT go over the wire.

If you intent to use dhcpcd, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Avahi# … IP_address
I've no idea to make NM get you an LL address, apparently "ipv4.method" must be configured to "link local", there's no fallback system?

@ewaller, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-de … Auto_MDI-X
It became standard w/ 1000BASE-T and the OP suspiciously posted

[12511.297745] r8169 0000:03:00.0 eno2: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control off

what's not definitive, but doesn't look good either.
However, they don't seem to have a problem w/

used a windows instead of arch and vnc and ssh worked perfectly

- though this also depends on which system "a windows" ran…

Offline

#6 2023-03-14 13:02:51

ivan-gyulev
Member
Registered: 2023-03-12
Posts: 3

Re: [SOLVED] Fail to establish ethernet connection with Raspberry PI

Ethernet connection
seth wrote:

You've iwd, dhcpcd and NetworkManager enabled, pick one, disable the others.

This cleared up a lot of things for me and now I have only NetworkManager enabled
I somehow have missed the "don't enable iwd" in the Network Manager Arch Wiki page.

seth wrote:

apparently "ipv4.method" must be configured to "link local"

This is extremly close to the solution, because a friend came that has had the same issue and did this

$ nmcli con add con-name "RPi" ifname eno2 type ethernet
$ nmcli con mod RPi ipv4.method share
$ nmcli con down RPi
$ nmcli con up RPi

I don't think adding a new connection(first line) was neccesseary but switching the "ipv4.method" to "share" was what fixed the ethernet connection and now nmap finds the ip of the raspberry and ssh is no longer a problem




SSH and hostname resolution

Turns out avahi doesn't work for me so:

  • removing/disabling avahi

  • pacman -S nss-mdns Installs the Multicast DNS resolver.

  • In /etc/nsswitch.conf change the line hosts: files dns myhostname to hosts: files mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostname
    systemd-resolved's hostname resolution worked better for me(it's usually enabled by default)

$ ssh raspberrypi.local



VNC

I found this on another stackexchange post regarding my VNC problem

nbxmike wrote:
  1. Assuming RealVNC is not supported on the platform you are using (which is my case with arm64 Arch) I found the following solution.

  2. As root, edit the config file in /root/.vnc/config.d/vncserver-x11

  3. Insert the following at the bottom of the file

        Authentication=VncAuth
        Encryption=AlwaysOff
        Password=e0fd0472492935da
  4. Restart RealVNCsudo(or just reboot)

        systemctl restart vncserver-virtuald.service
  5. Change the password (which is apparently foobar but never leave a password to something that has been posted.) with

        sudo vncpasswd -service

        You can now use another VNC client to access you RealVNC server. You will get a warning that the connection is not secure, that is the cost of access as far as I can tell; but, inside my LAN it is probably OK.

  • I did that and yet I still get the error message "No matching security types" in TigerVNC
    and in gsshvnc it's "VNC Connection Lost"

  • I byte the bullet and install realvnc-vnc-viewer

  • I uninstall tigervnc-viewer because it conflicts with it

    realvnc-vnc-viewer: /usr/bin/vncviewer exists in filesystem (owned by tigervnc-viewer)
    realvnc-vnc-viewer: /usr/share/man/man1/vncviewer.1.gz exists in filesystem (owned by tigervnc-viewer)
  • I log into an account, which is why I don't want to use RealVNC

  • I can finally type "raspberrypi.local" in the address bar and sure enough I connect fine

Now that I think about it can't I turn off RealVNC server on the raspberry and turn on Avahi's vnc server so that I can avoid RealVNC all together?
(probably going to mark this as SOLVED in a bit)

Last edited by ivan-gyulev (2023-03-28 07:46:10)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB