You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-23 08:02:29

mokkurkalve

[SOLVED] Install ISO kernel panic (bluetooth related?)

I just got my hands on a Dell Precision 7530 and booted the Arch install ISO from USB-stick. I got a kernel panic with blinking Caps Lock.
After quick googeling I found this and appended "bluetooth.blacklist=yes" to the kernel command line. Now the ISO boots to the promt. I haven't moved furter with the installation yet, but I would like to have more info on this situation with bluetooth if anybody knows anything before I proceed...?

This is output of lspci -nn
https://pasteboard.co/pqNQTbuJoUsy.jpg

Last edited by mokkurkalve (2023-06-24 19:52:45)

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
- Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

#2 2023-06-24 07:16:19

Ferdinand

Re: [SOLVED] Install ISO kernel panic (bluetooth related?)

I did a little searching, and it seems to me your Wi-Fi & Bluetooth device (Intel® Wireless-AC 9260) has been supported since Linux kernel 4.14, which was released in late 2017.

So I would have assumed it should be well supported - but evidently you're not entirely alone:
https://lite.qwant.com/?q=linux+AC+9260

I'd check out some of those hits - they touch on diverse issues that may be relevant.

Anyway, as far as advice goes, your system seems to boot all right now, and as Bluetooth isn't critical in order to complete the installation, I would just keep that blacklist kernel parameter, and continue until you have the basic system up and running. Then see if you still have the problem. If you do, at least you know how to get your system booted, and can investigate further.

#3 2023-06-24 19:51:39

mokkurkalve

It's possible I had a bad boot or something. I can't figure this out now. Anyway, the system is up and running fine now, bluetooth and all.  smile
So I will mark this SOLVED.

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
- Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

#4 2023-06-24 20:38:20

ewaller
Administrator

A parting thought.  It occurs to me that you may be dual booting with Microsoft Windows.   Windows has a notorious reputation for not playing nicely in the sandbox with other operating systems.
Windows takes forever to boot from a cold start.  In order to fake rational startup times, they invented something called 'Fast Boot'.  This is really nothing more than a hibernation state that can leave hardware (a) busy, and (b) in non-deterministic states.  If you are dual booting Windows with anything else, you *must* turn this 'feature' off.  And, being Microsoft, it is a feature that has an annoying tendency of silently turning itself back on.

Turn off Windows fast boot.  Turn it off again any time windows updates itself.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer